Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A guide to motor insurance & FAQ's

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Yeah I rang them up today anyway just to clarify and they said it makes no difference, and that their database is sometimes incorrect :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Can anyone give me any recommendations for am insurance provider for an older driver. My fathers renewal is coming up and he never shops around. He's 79 btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Can anyone give me any recommendations for am insurance provider for an older driver. My fathers renewal is coming up and he never shops around. He's 79 btw.

I'd consider a broker personally with that age profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Peeps I'm currently shopping around for quotes. Had a claim last yr of 3343. This was before last yrs renewal. So I'm 1 yd no claims. Fbd are looking for 938 for the yr understandably. 123.ie on the other hand are at 634€ Comprehensive extra. Are they taking the claim into consideration or is this too good to be true. Fbd are not giving a discount on the 1yr no claims. Aviva came in at 960. And tesco wouldn't quote. Is there anything to know about 123? I requested a callback as I couldn't believe it. This was for 2 full drivers UK licences with more that 5 yrs driving each.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Damogib

I'm a 19 year old looking to buy a car, I wont be able to afford to pay for the insurance on my own so I am thinking about insuring my dad and having myself as a named driver on the policy. I was just wondering if I were to go down this route, would the car have to be in my dad's name or would it matter? Thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Damogib wrote: »
    I'm a 19 year old looking to buy a car, I wont be able to afford to pay for the insurance on my own so I am thinking about insuring my dad and having myself as a named driver on the policy. I was just wondering if I were to go down this route, would the car have to be in my dad's name or would it matter? Thanks :)
    It would have to be in his name. If he has his own policy already, it can be difficult to get his existing NCB onto another policy.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

I started my policy in september of last year. 0 years NCB and my annual price is around £1250 (one off payment in the beginning)

I am moving house in about 1 months time. I've done an online comparison with new quotes and changing only the address.

Current adress quote: 1300
    Future Adress quote: 1000

can I call my insurer and ask for a partial refund considereing that i'm going to a lower risk post code?

is that a done thing?

I started my policy in september of last year. 0 years NCB and my annual price is around £1250 (one off payment in the beginning)

I am moving house in about 1 months time. I've done an online comparison with new quotes and changing only the address.

Current adress quote: 1300
    Future Adress quote: 1000

can I call my insurer and ask for a partial refund considereing that i'm going to a lower risk post code?

is that a done thing?
    There may be a refund owing on a pro rata basis based on the reduced risk.

Call them and have a chat when you move.

This could well be offset by your Insurers "Administration Fee's"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Is there any way to get insured as a young driver without getting seriously ripped off?

GvidoR wrote: »
    Is there any way to get insured as a young driver without getting seriously ripped off?

You can try the likes of XS direct. Or you could get named onto your parents / partners car and gain some experience. That will stand to you when getting insurance in your own name.

• Advertisement

MugMugs wrote: »
    You can try the likes of XS direct. Or you could get named onto your parents / partners car and gain some experience. That will stand to you when getting insurance in your own name.

I was just on the phone with Brittons Insurance. They told me that no claims bonus works only on one car, so if I would get insured under someone who already has an insurance policy in their own name, the policy holder would have 0 years no claims bonus on that car.

I was just on the phone with Brittons Insurance. They told me that no claims bonus works only on one car, so if I would get insured under someone who already has an insurance policy in their own name, the policy holder would have 0 years no claims bonus on that car.

Some insurers credit you with "Named Driving Experience" some will even mirror this to reflect a degree of a No Claims Bonus.

Some insurers credit you with "Named Driving Experience" some will even mirror this to reflect a degree of a No Claims Bonus.

I know, but it's expensive to have two 0 year NCB drivers on one policy. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:
    /My Help

Best of luck

/My Help

Best of luck

All I was trying to say was that even though someone has, let's say 5+ years NCB and an insurance policy on some car. If I would get insured under that person, the main driver would have 0 years NCB and I would have 0 years NCB. That way it might cost even more than just to get insured myself + I would be starting to collect my own NCB.

How come you quoted only that smiley face?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

All I was trying to say was that even though someone has, let's say 5+ years NCB and an insurance policy on some car. If I would get insured under that person, the main driver would have 0 years NCB and I would have 0 years NCB. That way it might cost even more than just to get insured myself + I would be starting to collect my own NCB.

How come you quoted only that smiley face?

If you become a named driver on someones policy and they have 5+ years they don't lose any of that but their insurance might/will be more expensive because of you being on the policy.

eirator wrote: »
    If you become a named driver on someones policy and they have 5+ years they don't lose any of that but their insurance might/will be more expensive because of you being on the policy.

What I was told by Brittons Insurance was that no claims bonus can be used only one car/policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

How does transferring your own insurance to another car that is already insured work ?

E.g: My car develops some sort of fault and will be off the road for a week or two but my relative who doesn't use their insured car often allows me have a lend of theirs, however my policy does not have third party extension.

How does transferring your own insurance to another car that is already insured work ?

E.g: My car develops some sort of fault and will be off the road for a week or two but my relative who doesn't use their insured car often allows me have a lend of theirs, however my policy does not have third party extension.
    You can request a temporary substitution from your insurer onto the relatives car.

If you had a third party extension and your own vehicle was disabled in most cases the extension wouldn't cover you to drive while your own is not roadworthy either!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭faral

Can someone recommend any reputable insurance company. Im not happy with 123 ans their quote for my new Car. Was shopping around and quotas may differ up to 1000 euro+! Aviva came as a rip off company and wanted me to pay 1505:) Axa 910, Liberty 620, Chll 556, AA 610, and no nonsence was the cheapest on with 480 but does not have a full NCB protection option but only step back.
    Do you know any broker around Lucan/Clondalkin area?

• Advertisement

Chill are a broker and appear to be doing you a good service with that quote.

No nonsense is more or less a jigsaw policy. Basic but delivers and any extras are charged for accordingly.
    Who was the quote with under chill? Could well be one of the other names you quoted above. Also, consider Aon

Personally, I've only used one broker. Aaran insurance in Harolds cross. They've always been competitive for my friends and I.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Anyone know if Aviva do temporary named driver car insurance ? Looking to get on my mothers car for a couple of days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

Are you entitled to a replacement car while your waiting for a claim to be processed and repairs carried out?

My car was damaged on wednesday morning and is missing a wing mirror. The driver admitted liability as my car was parked up. I need a car by sunday night for 8 days untill the following monday. Don't really want to do 500+ miles with no wing mirror. I presume it would be entirely my fault if the lack of one resulted in an accident.

I rang their insurance company, explained the situation and asked. They said they'd get back to me... I'm going to ring them back now so I'm just wondering can I pressurize them to give me one.

As you're not at fault and they are then yes, you are entitled to a replacement vehicle while yours is being repaired and longer if it isn't driveable.

Tell them they either give you one or you hire a like for like from Hertz and send them the bill.

A reminder that this is a straightforward repair job and that there's no injury may also prompt them along.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭markc1184

Quick question with regards an insurance claim. This day 4 weeks ago, we were in an accident when a van broke a stop sign and t-boned our car. The company involved admitted liability within a few days, their insurance admitted liability this week. We recieved a letter from their insurance today with an offer that we don't believe is acceptable because we cannot replace our car with a similar spec'd/mileage car. Along with this offer it says that it is "in full and final". Does this mean that the offer is unlikely to increase? And if we were to accept it, does that then stop us taking up a personal injury claim?

markc1184 wrote: »
    Quick question with regards an insurance claim. This day 4 weeks ago, we were in an accident when a van broke a stop sign and t-boned our car. The company involved admitted liability within a few days, their insurance admitted liability this week. We recieved a letter from their insurance today with an offer that we don't believe is acceptable because we cannot replace our car with a similar spec'd/mileage car. Along with this offer it says that it is "in full and final". Does this mean that the offer is unlikely to increase? And if we were to accept it, does that then stop us taking up a personal injury claim?

It's more of a psychological deterrent frankly. If it ever went to court a Judge would laugh at it.

They mean it includes Personal Injury all you need to do is state when signing that it's non inclusive of any personal injury claim arising from the incident and make that very clear when signing off on anything.

If the offer isn't acceptable go back to them and tell them so. Show them vehicles and values more like what you're expecting.

They're going to lowball here. The lower they can go the more they save at the end of the day. Don't accept anything until you're happy though and don't be rushed of pressured into it. If you're not happy to deal with the matter yourself or find them becoming elusive then you have the right to employ a loss assessor (they should have already told you this though) who will fight your case for you. He will take 10% or thereabouts of your settlement though so fight your own corner if you can.

Rang them and they said they'd get back to me about the car. The crash repair guy doing the estimate said the particular company are very slow and take weeks to do things. So they never got back to me and there phone lines are closed. What do you reckon? Will I go ahead and rent one or will they refuse to pay?

Rang them and they said they'd get back to me about the car. The crash repair guy doing the estimate said the particular company are very slow and take weeks to do things. So they never got back to me and there phone lines are closed. What do you reckon? Will I go ahead and rent one or will they refuse to pay?

As long as the rental costs are reasonable, they've no grounds to refuse you. This advice isn't letter of the law now. The final call is yours but you've told them you need a car. They haven't responded to your request. What alternative do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭markc1184

It's more of a psychological deterrent frankly. If it ever went to court a Judge would laugh at it.

They mean it includes Personal Injury all you need to do is state when signing that it's non inclusive of any personal injury claim arising from the incident and make that very clear when signing off on anything.

If the offer isn't acceptable go back to them and tell them so. Show them vehicles and values more like what you're expecting.

They're going to lowball here. The lower they can go the more they save at the end of the day. Don't accept anything until you're happy though and don't be rushed of pressured into it. If you're not happy to deal with the matter yourself or find them becoming elusive then you have the right to employ a loss assessor (they should have already told you this though) who will fight your case for you. He will take 10% or thereabouts of your settlement though so fight your own corner if you can.

Thanks for that. The only correspondence we have had from this company was a phone call on Wednesday morning with an offer which we refused straight off because it was about 2.5k less than we have found similar cars. Then todays letter for 1k more which is still less than our insurance say is its book value. There has been no mention of loss assessor's from them. The car was only bought 6 months ago so I'm not prepared to take such a hit on it, especially with us not being at fault for the collision.

• Advertisement

Thanks MM. I'll go and rent one tomorrow. Great thread btw. Makes it somewhat easier to deal with these cowboys.

Advertisement