Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-01-2013, 13:50   #1
archer22

Prepay electricity

Hi wondering if anybody here that have experience of prepay electricity?..is it a good or bad system overall.I am a low usage electricity user and out of Ireland for several months each year.I have seen the prepay power .ie ads and considering it but would like to hear others experience of this first..Thanks
Advertisement
14-01-2013, 14:35   #2
ken

We have prepaypower. We find the amount per month is still the same or there abouts but no hefty bill at the end of every 2 months.

We can see what the money is going on also and try cut down usage of stuff.

Last edited by ken; 14-01-2013 at 15:18.
Thanks from:
14-01-2013, 14:56   #3
archer22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken View Post
We have prepaypower. We find the amount per month is still the same or there abouts but no hefty bill at the end of every 2 month.

We can see what the money is going on also and try cut down usage of stuff.
I am wondering about the standing charges...are they still being applied when there is no electricity being used..as in my case when I am out of country for several months..dont want to for example to come back and put 50 euros credit in it only to find its all used up on standing charges and I still have no power .
14-01-2013, 15:06   #4
Doreen53

I was wondering whether it would be a good idea to change over to Pre-Pay Power.ie. Has anybody else changed over and what do they think?
14-01-2013, 15:23   #5
ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer22 View Post
I am wondering about the standing charges...are they still being applied when there is no electricity being used..as in my case when I am out of country for several months..dont want to for example to come back and put 50 euros credit in it only to find its all used up on standing charges and I still have no power .
They don't work that way. Once your credit is used up you have an emergency €5. Once that runs out your power is off. When you next top up (lets say by €20) the €5 is taken back and you now have €15 and your emergency €5 back in place.

Please be aware that with prepaypower.ie's control panel once credit drops below €3 it emits a very loud beeping noise till you press a button to stop it. As far as I know(and I've been trying for 5 months) their is no way to disable it.
Advertisement
14-01-2013, 17:07   #6
dudara
Category Moderator

Moved to Accomodation & Property

dudara
14-01-2013, 17:26   #7
sanna

I got my meter in last wk, so far so good, have been hacked off with incorrect reads and estimated bills for last yr so figured this was best way to go! Now getting gas one in too, relief of 2 less bills is fab!
Thanks from:
14-01-2013, 18:43   #8
StillWaters
Closed Account

Looks like it would be worse for you, not only do you have to pay usual levies, you also have to pay a Prepayment service charge of 37.5c per day, that's a fair bit more than other providers low usage standing charge.
15-01-2013, 11:39   #9
emeldc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken View Post
They don't work that way. Once your credit is used up you have an emergency €5. Once that runs out your power is off. When you next top up (lets say by €20) the €5 is taken back and you now have €15 and your emergency €5 back in place.

Please be aware that with prepaypower.ie's control panel once credit drops below €3 it emits a very loud beeping noise till you press a button to stop it. As far as I know(and I've been trying for 5 months) their is no way to disable it.
Not quite correct. If you are away from your house and not using any electricity you are still charged 80cent per day. This is made up with the standard charge (ESB meter rental) and a 37cent charge from 'prepay power' to pay for the use of their meter. In short you pay approx €2.50 extra per week to have a prepay meter on top of the normal ESB charges. In my opinion it's not really worth it unless your bills are quite large. You also can't shop around for a better deal while on a prepay meter.
Advertisement
15-01-2013, 12:16   #10
archer22

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeldc View Post
Not quite correct. If you are away from your house and not using any electricity you are still charged 80cent per day. This is made up with the standard charge (ESB meter rental) and a 37cent charge from 'prepay power' to pay for the use of their meter. In short you pay approx €2.50 extra per week to have a prepay meter on top of the normal ESB charges. In my opinion it's not really worth it unless your bills are quite large. You also can't shop around for a better deal while on a prepay meter.
Yeah you keep getting charged even when its not being used and then you must pay that off before you can use it again..I think the best thing about it was the advert ...Seems since electricity was deregulated in Ireland instead of prices dropping a race has begun to see who can charge the most
Thanks from:
15-01-2013, 15:58   #11
the_syco
Syco Kitteh

Quote:
Seems since electricity was deregulated in Ireland instead of prices dropping a race has begun to see who can charge the most
I'm pretty sure it's regulated, as if it wasn't, ESB could drop their prices to wipe out the competition.
15-01-2013, 17:57   #12
ted1

Price of fuel is rising, that's why it's going up.
15-01-2013, 18:06   #13
juan.kerr
Closed Account

I got a flyer in the door for one of these services over the weekend. They had a 'meter charge' of something like 37.5 cents per day and a guarantee that their unit price and standing charge etc would match the Electric Ireland standard rates.

So you are paying ~ EUR 137 per annum for the service before using any electricity.

May make sense for some people.

For me that would be 3 - 4 months electricity cost.
15-01-2013, 22:47   #14
archer22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted1 View Post
Price of fuel is rising, that's why it's going up.
Probably pay rates have more to do with it Electric Ireland average pay Euro 92,000 per annum CEO Euro 318,000 per annum..it has to come from somewhere..no prizes for guessing where.
15-01-2013, 22:56   #15
ted1

Quote:
Probably pay rates have more to do with it Electric Ireland average pay Euro 92,000 per annum CEO Euro 318,000 per annum..it has to come from somewhere..no prizes for guessing where.
Think your figures are completely off the wall, one section may have high wages but I can tell you that is not the average for the whole conpany

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion