Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OSX and Airport free WiFi

• 07-01-2013 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,648 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know why OSX (Mountain Lion + Leopard) won't connect to free WiFi services such as are offered in airports?

I was recently in Cork Airport. It offers free WiFi, but my Macbook Pro running ML failed to connect to it. Same Happened at Salzburg Airport.

In the case of Cork, It could 'see' the free Wifi and I selected it, but in the Menu bar, the WiFi symbol had an exclamation mark in it and a text warning that no ISP could be found - or words to that effect.

My son couldn't connect either on a Macbook unibody running Leopard. However, when he booted into linux, he had no problem connecting. My daughter could connect also using a Toshiba Laptop running Windows 7.

Two Samsung phones could connect also.

One gets a connection, but when you start a web browser, you don't get directed to the web page where you are granted the connection from. Even manually entering the address of the page like 1.1.1.1 doesn't work.

So 4 other OSs manage to connect, but two different versions of OSX can't.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I have similar problems using the irishrail free wifi on trains. I just used "assist me" in network prefs and the diagnostic fixed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,648 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Tried that, but it couldn't fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I had this problem before but it turns out I was using custom DNS server addresses

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

swingking wrote: »
    I had this problem before but it turns out I was using custom DNS server addresses

Same here. Was using googles DNS, had to delete it.

Advertisement