Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-11-2012, 14:28   #1
RosieJoe

Introduction of two way system on Blackthorn Road, Sandyford Industrial Estate

This is being changed on the 27th November so be warned.

See here for further details and here for the PDF on it.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
22-11-2012, 17:11   #2
BDJW

It's going to be a disaster!
(5) thanks from:
22-11-2012, 17:23   #3
RosieJoe

They can't even get their details right! First we have
Quote:
Date of commencement: 27th November 2012
and further down the page we have
Quote:
The proposed date for the introduction of two-way traffic on Blackthorn Road is Monday, 26th November 2012 at 10.30am.
We'll find out next week when some "loon" is driving towards us.
26-11-2012, 13:34   #4
elleelle19

Thanks for the Info RosieJoe

Should be fun and games this evening
Thanks from:
26-11-2012, 13:55   #5
RosieJoe

Was out at lunch and they have a sign up stating that this comes into affect at 10:30 on the 27th.
Advertisement
26-11-2012, 14:05   #6
elleelle19

I actually look out onto this road from my desk and have already seen loads of cars treating it as two way. All the road markings are down so can see why people think it is ok.

When all the cars are trying to get out this evening it will be bedlam
26-11-2012, 14:50   #7
RosieJoe

Should (eventually) get rid of all the accidents at the entrance/exit to Mike Murphy's insurance
26-11-2012, 17:32   #8
BDJW

Just about to leave work......it's apparently solid non moving traffic all around the area from this already. I'm actually tempted to stay in work a bit longer to let it die down!!!
26-11-2012, 17:39   #9
RosieJoe

Just looked out one of the prison office windows and traffic is moving well past the Microsoft buildings.
Advertisement
26-11-2012, 18:21   #10
MORISH

I'm living in the beacon apartments and I'm looking out my window onto carmenhall road looking down towards blackthorn road and the traffic looks mental. My heart goes out to everyone who will have to face this on a nightly basis. It might improve once people get used to it but I think that the introduction of so many traffic lights is going to really slow traffic exiting sandyford every night. hate to be smug but thank god i work shifts and I don't work 9-5 job 
26-11-2012, 19:00   #11
patrickbrophy18

What's the point in making it a two way system?

It sounds like DLRCOCO are on a mission to make motorists lives miserable. Previously, traffic movement was fine and now (going by one or two of the posts) it sound's like it's absolute bedlam. When are the council going to quit trying to fix things that aren't already broken?

The whole point of one way systems is to simplify road functionality by dividing traffic and minimizing tailbacks. Are they trying to make car usage so unattractive and slow that cycling will be the fastest way to get around?
Thanks from:
26-11-2012, 19:10   #12
Glencarraig

Came down Blackthorn Road at 4.30 today, traffic was backed up to the bend just below Heather Road, this is a total disaster, how DLRCC can think this was a good idea is beyond me. For starters, the cut in for traffic turning left after Microsoft starts too late, it needs another 50-60 yards added, there is ample room for this to be done, God only knows why the planners couldn't have done this. I really dont see how making the road two way will help traffic flow in the estate. I dread to think what the revamped Roundabout/Squareabout at the Leopardstown/Brewery Road junction will do to ease the ridiculous traffic holdups that happen every morning.
Thanks from:
26-11-2012, 19:31   #13
Cookie_Monster

Send a message via Skype™ to Cookie_Monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickbrophy18 View Post
What's the point in making it a two way system?
i would assume it part of the stupid decision to convert the Leopardstown roundabout it a signalled junction and ban certain turning options.
26-11-2012, 19:39   #14
Patrickof

I don't know why they don't turn the whole thing into one massive one way system.

ie in at Leopardstown roundabout, left at AVID onto heather Road, then either left at Beacon to M50, or right and merge into 4 lanes going down by Sandyford Opel, then right at the bottom (merging with Kilmacud Road), then across parallel to the Luas, exiting to Stillorgan with only Luas/ped lights, and continue around to Leopardstown roundabout. The Microsoft north/south could remain but in a south only direction. Allow a right turn onto Dunnes car park road, and straight across to the Microsoft corner, again left turn only there.

It's make some journeys a little bit longer, but on average should reduce times considerably.

They could make a full length merge lane from the Beacon towards the M50 so that those lights could be removed (the left turn ones).

It seems quite simple really, wonder why they don't do that - I must be missing something.
26-11-2012, 19:53   #15
Nicolas Cage
Stealing the declaration of independence

I don't usually go past this area going to/from work so am not as familiar with the rush hour element as others, but this sounds like absolute bollocks.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion