Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-11-2012, 12:46   #1
Jayob10

how to delete am unwanted toolbar

Hi guys,

I'm looking to delete an unwanted toolbar ive been stuck with since a download.

I mistakenly went to extensions and deleted the toolbar without unticking the enable box first.

Now I cannot go back and repeat as the extension has been deleted.

How can I get around this?

Thanks a million in advance
Advertisement
21-11-2012, 12:58   #2
Freddy Smelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayob10 View Post
Hi guys,

I'm looking to delete an unwanted toolbar ive been stuck with since a download.

I mistakenly went to extensions and deleted the toolbar without unticking the enable box first.

Now I cannot go back and repeat as the extension has been deleted.

How can I get around this?

Thanks a million in advance
control panel > programs and features > look for the toolbar and uninstall it there.

then download spybot, install, update, and immunise. then run scan to remove any malware the toolbar may have installed.

spybot is free

as a rule for me: free toolbars = malware
Thanks from:
21-11-2012, 13:13   #3
Jayob10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy Smelly View Post
control panel > programs and features > look for the toolbar and uninstall it there.

then download spybot, install, update, and immunise. then run scan to remove any malware the toolbar may have installed.

spybot is free

as a rule for me: free toolbars = malware
thanks for the reply, ive done that uninstall via control panel earlier but the search engine still appears when I click google chrome for the first time

Ive also changed my default homepage, but it still appears. I should point out its actually a home page/Search engine that i'm trying to get rid of as opposed to a toolbar.

I know exactly where I went wrong, I clicked delete in "tools/extensions", rather than unticking enable and then deleting. I deleted without disabling the feature

Is there any other way around this?

When I click to download Spybot 2 free edition it throws up a load of options which one should I select?

Last edited by Jayob10; 21-11-2012 at 13:18.
21-11-2012, 13:34   #4
Freddy Smelly

Quote:
thanks for the reply, ive done that uninstall via control panel earlier but the search engine still appears when I click google chrome for the first time

Ive also changed my default homepage, but it still appears. I should point out its actually a home page/Search engine that i'm trying to get rid of as opposed to a toolbar.

I know exactly where I went wrong, I clicked delete in "tools/extensions", rather than unticking enable and then deleting. I deleted without disabling the feature

Is there any other way around this?

When I click to download Spybot 2 free edition it throws up a load of options which one should I select?
there is no version 2 yet... it's still in development.... just choose 1.6.2 for now it's likely that the toolbar installed a browser hijacker malware ... spybot should find it and get rid of it

Last edited by Freddy Smelly; 21-11-2012 at 13:36.
21-11-2012, 13:44   #5
yoyo

This is what you are looking for I think

Nick
Advertisement
21-11-2012, 16:23   #6
Jayob10

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
This is what you are looking for I think

Nick
cheers for that Nick, but i've tried that aswell, google.ie is set as my default search engine and I deleted from that list the one that always appears (the one I want rid of).

However it hasn't solved the problem, on startup when I click the google chrome icon the search engine opens that I can get rid of
21-11-2012, 17:15   #7
ASJ112
Banned

run this program

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/
21-11-2012, 17:39   #8
3ndahalfof6

If you do not have it long would it not be easier to restore to an earlier date.
21-11-2012, 17:48   #9
Dotsie~tmp

Look up, reset browser to default for all your browsers aafter you uninstall the toolbar. As for chrome there is an option in settings about which pages to open as defaults when started and default search engines. These toolbars are very annoying but some hefty sentences for spammers is convincing them to at least make them removeable now.
Advertisement
21-11-2012, 17:59   #10
Jayob10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ndahalfof6 View Post
If you do not have it long would it not be easier to restore to an earlier date.
how do you do that?

Apologies, im not the most advanced in these matters

Downloaded Spybot but it won't let me remove the problem, it says I need administrator status, whatever that means
21-11-2012, 18:01   #11
Freddy Smelly

Quote:
how do you do that?

Downloaded Spybot but it won't let me remove the problem, it says I need administrator status, whatever that means
right click on the spybot icon on your desktop then properties then compatibility then tick the run as administrator option and hit apply then ok

then when ever you use spybot it will have the needed admin privileges it needs to clean the malware off your pc
21-11-2012, 18:20   #12
3ndahalfof6

Quote:
how do you do that?

Hit the start button then all programs, select accessories, then system tools,

you should get the option for system restore.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion