Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Connemarathon 7/4/2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

should we add 15 mins because of the course difaculty ?

15 minutes is a bit excessive, though there is always an argument about that. Personally I think 5-10 minutes extra should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,359 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Yeah first timer Connemarathoner here too. Would be aiming for about 3.20 on flats, hoping to break 3.30 in Connemara

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

sideswipe wrote: »
    What finishing time are you hoping for?
    7:10 Min/Miles equate to a 3:09 Marathon time, 7:40 = 3:20ish.

Seeing as this is my first full mara and the course isn't flat it's hard to tell.

PB for 10km is 38.58, half is 1.27. I'd hope for 3.15-3.20 on a flat course but realistically am thinking much closer to 3.30.

Would like to hear what others who have done the course have to say

ebixa82 wrote: »
    Seeing as this is my first full mara and the course isn't flat it's hard to tell.

PB for 10km is 38.58, half is 1.27. I'd hope for 3.15-3.20 on a flat course but realistically am thinking much closer to 3.30.

I'd say you're sandbagging a bit.

Those 10k and half times should get you closer to the 3:00 mark, maybe 3:10 taking into account that it's your first full. Add a few minutes for the hills and I'd say 3:15-3:20 is not out of reach, assuming that you did your proper marathon training and don't do anything silly like going off too fast.

I'd say you're sandbagging a bit.

Those 10k and half times should get you closer to the 3:00 mark, maybe 3:10 taking into account that it's your first full. Add a few minutes for the hills and I'd say 3:15-3:20 is not out of reach, assuming that you did your proper marathon training and don't do anything silly like going off too fast.

I suppose it's the fear of the unknown that has me being over-cautious with my predictions.

Following Hal Higdon intermediate 1. One more 20 miler left and go out to Howth to run around that hill 1-2 times per week.

Will see on the day I suppose!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

I suppose it's the fear of the unknown that has me being over-cautious with my predictions.

Following Hal Higdon intermediate 1. One more 20 miler left and go out to Howth to run around that hill 1-2 times per week.

Will see on the day I suppose!

I'm following the same plan and it's my first time too. My new half time is 1.35, I am thinking around 3.45/50 would be a decent time for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭roro2

Connemara is recgonised as a pretty tough course, I did it in 2009 it was my first marathon and i finished in 4.04. since then i have done 6 marathons with a pb of 3.19 in cork 2011. Im doing connemara again now and im wondering if mabye some of the more expierenced runners could give their opinion on what they feel a good time in this marathon is ? should we add 15 mins because of the course difaculty ? thanks for reading.

I think it is a personal thing to a large degree with a lot depending on your training. If you have a good training base, with enough long runs that include the type of hills that you'll face in Connemara (only 2 significant ones), there shouldn't be a big difference. I actually think the length of the long runs in training is more important for Connemara - if you have a max long run of 20 miles in training, you will probably struggle in the last few miles and on the hill at mile 24 in particular, adding maybe 10-15 mins here on a bad day. If you get in 2 or 3 long runs of 22-23 miles in training, the last hill won't pose as much of a problem and shouldn't slow you much. While this holds for any marathon, most marathons don't have a Hell of the West just before the finish. Also, an extra 4-5 mins for a 3-hour runner is probably 9-10 mins for a 5-hour runner.

For what it's worth, my second half in Connemara last year was 2 mins slower than the first half. I ran the (relatively) flat sections of the second half at the same pace as I ran the first half and allowed about an extra 1-2 mins on each of the two major uphills at miles 14 and 24. And then picked up a little bit of time on the downhills - this can save you a few valuable seconds!

roro2 wrote: »
    I think it is a personal thing to a large degree with a lot depending on your training. If you have a good training base, with enough long runs that include the type of hills that you'll face in Connemara (only 2 significant ones), there shouldn't be a big difference. I actually think the length of the long runs in training is more important for Connemara - if you have a max long run of 20 miles in training, you will probably struggle in the last few miles and on the hill at mile 24 in particular, adding maybe 10-15 mins here on a bad day. If you get in 2 or 3 long runs of 22-23 miles in training, the last hill won't pose as much of a problem and shouldn't slow you much. While this holds for any marathon, most marathons don't have a Hell of the West just before the finish. Also, an extra 4-5 mins for a 3-hour runner is probably 9-10 mins for a 5-hour runner.

For what it's worth, my second half in Connemara last year was 2 mins slower than the first half. I ran the (relatively) flat sections of the second half at the same pace as I ran the first half and allowed about an extra 1-2 mins on each of the two major uphills at miles 14 and 24. And then picked up a little bit of time on the downhills - this can save you a few valuable seconds!

Interesting, so in terms of planning a pace band, would you print out a band for your desired pace and simply add 2 minutes or so for miles 14 and 24?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭roro2

statss wrote: »
    Interesting, so in terms of planning a pace band, would you print out a band for your desired pace and simply add 2 minutes or so for miles 14 and 24?

That's roughly what I did last year, and it worked out well, and I'd do something similar if I was going again this year. My training with the course in mind had gone well though. While its an undulating route, overall there is as much downhill as uphill and there isn't any issues other than the two big hills. Whether its an extra 1 mins, 2 mins or 5 mins will really depend on your training - on the hills and the long runs. While you might be able to get up the first hill with losing just a minute, the hill at mile 24 will probably be a different story if you haven't faced a similar hill in training or if its well beyond what you've run before. Simple as it is, the key to not losing much time is to be able to keep running on the uphills - start walking and the mins will tick away! With a time of 1.35 for a half, 3.30 could be within reach and 3.45 shouldn't be a problem!

roro2 wrote: »
    That's roughly what I did last year, and it worked out well, and I'd do something similar if I was going again this year. My training with the course in mind had gone well though. While its an undulating route, overall there is as much downhill as uphill and there isn't any issues other than the two big hills. Whether its an extra 1 mins, 2 mins or 5 mins will really depend on your training - on the hills and the long runs. While you might be able to get up the first hill with losing just a minute, the hill at mile 24 will probably be a different story if you haven't faced a similar hill in training or if its well beyond what you've run before. Simple as it is, the key to not losing much time is to be able to keep running on the uphills - start walking and the mins will tick away! With a time of 1.35 for a half, 3.30 could be within reach and 3.45 shouldn't be a problem!

Thanks for the input. I've done 2 of my long runs around the Dublin mountains with big climbs and sharp drops so I'll see how it goes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

You look well set for sub 3:30 with those times! The other thing to keep in mind as it's your first marathon is the enjoyment side of it, there will be loads of opportunities to chase numbers in the future but you only get that unique first marathon feeling once, be sure to enjoy it as much as possible. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭babalobioddy

training has gone very well, i have done two long runs of 22 miles and will do same again this weekend and the weekend after, half pb was in bohermeen last weekend 1.28.34. I will be happy with a time under 3.30. My full pb is 3.19. Has the course stayed the same since 2009 ?

Has the course stayed the same since 2009 ?

The course has stayed the same ever since (well, they slightly tweaked the half marathon start in the early years)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

i will probably only get one 20 mile run in before the big day, but i am running 12 milers up and around the devils bit in tipp at the moment every week so I think i will have enough in the tank. :rolleyes:

We'll see on the day, just hope it is dry and not too windy. As its my first time I will just chill out and enjoy it and not worry about a time too much, anything between 4 and 4.30 will be excellent but if i drift past that i wont be giving a toss as I cross the finish line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

As its my first time I will just chill out and enjoy it and not worry about a time too much, anything between 4 and 4.30 will be excellent but if i drift past that i wont be giving a toss as I cross the finish line.

This will actually be my first time ever in Connemara so I'm aiming for a time similar to yourself and am not too bothered about going over that. I plan on enjoying the course and the sights. Been wanting to visit Connemara and run this race for years.

What's the best method to run the full mara?

In the past for half marathons I picked a pace based on the time I planned to run and stuck to it from mile 1-13.

However, as the mara is twice as long I know I won't be able to keep a constant pace for 26 miles.

Is it best to chose 2 different paces for the two halves

e.g. 7.20mins/mile for miles 1-13, 7.30 for miles 13-26

or how should it be run?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,359 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Anybody have any hills around Dublin that they would consider similar gradient/length to the Hell of the west?

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Anybody have any hills around Dublin that they would consider similar gradient/length to the Hell of the west?

Howth Hill is meant to be similar (I asked the same question on here last year).

I trained on this last year (and this year). It made HOTW alot easier than anticipated. But I only did the half last year, will be much tougher with an extra 13 miles.

For a short run I'd get dart to Sutton, run along Carrickbrack Road, into Howth and back to Sutton which is roughly 7 miles, then Dart home.

For a long run I run from town which is an extra 9 miles.

Puck wrote: »
    This will actually be my first time ever in Connemara so I'm aiming for a time similar to yourself and am not too bothered about going over that. I plan on enjoying the course and the sights. Been wanting to visit Connemara and run this race for years.

i have driven around there for years, on a good day it is amazing. on a bad day you cant see anything. i have done the inisboffin HM and stay on boffin for a weekend every year and its equally amazing/cloud covered any time
    What's the best method to run the full mara?

In the past for half marathons I picked a pace based on the time I planned to run and stuck to it from mile 1-13.

However, as the mara is twice as long I know I won't be able to keep a constant pace for 26 miles.

Is it best to chose 2 different paces for the two halves

e.g. 7.20mins/mile for miles 1-13, 7.30 for miles 13-26

or how should it be run?

Thanks

i would try to do a min slower than your HM pace throughout and keep it steady - maybe add another min on the hills.

one thing that i need to know - they say that MP3/earphones are very banned. how true is this, as I always use one for my long runs.

one thing that i need to know - they say that MP3/earphones are very banned. how true is this, as I always use one for my long runs.

I, along with dozens others I saw, used them last year. Nothing was ever said. No need to worry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭jmcc99_98

On runs I always use my phone and headphones and endomondo app tells me my pace etc at each KM, I am hopeless at judging my pace, and the fact that we are not allowed headphones will mean I cant use my trusty app.

Has anybody any idea whether there will be pacers?

jmcc99_98 wrote: »
    On runs I always use my phone and headphones and endomondo app tells me my pace etc at each KM, I am hopeless at judging my pace, and the fact that we are not allowed headphones will mean I cant use my trusty app.

Has anybody any idea whether there will be pacers?

Nothin will happen if you use headphones in practice, just be mindful and respectful to other runners and marshals.

There was no pacers last year, I e-mailed this year to ask, but they never bothered replying.

I had planned to use runkeeper last year but because it's out in the sticks there was no coverage. They have mile markers so just use them and a normal digital watch or invest in a Garmin!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭WRENALDO

dev123 wrote: »
    According to their website water is in bottles with sports drinks at certain locations

Cheers Dev thanks for that.

they say that MP3/earphones are very banned. how true is this, as I always use one for my long runs.
    I, along with dozens others I saw, used them last year. Nothing was ever said. No need to worry!

The rules clearly state that headphones are not allowed.

Last year I had to literally pull a headphone runner from his side of the road because he was blocking the ambulance from getting through. He was completely oblivious to the fact that everyone else had moved to the left-hand side of the road. Luckily, the incident that the ambulance was responding to was not a dramatic emergency and he did not slow them down for long, but you can surely see the potential for a serious incident.

In all likelihood they won't pull you out of the race if you do wear headphones, but it would clearly mark you as a self-centered person without regards towards others.

The rules clearly state that headphones are not allowed.

Last year I had to literally pull a headphone runner from his side of the road because he was blocking the ambulance from getting through. He was completely oblivious to the fact that everyone else had moved to the left-hand side of the road. Luckily, the incident that the ambulance was responding to was not a dramatic emergency and he did not slow them down for long, but you can surely see the potential for a serious incident.

In all likelihood they won't pull you out of the race if you do wear headphones, but it would clearly mark you as a self-centered person without regards towards others.

I completely understand why headphones are not allowed but that person clearly had the volume of music up way too loud and was showing no consideration for others.

Isn't there a happy medium where you can have the music on down low enough to be able to hear everything that's happening around you? This is the volume I would always have it at, as in I could easily have a conversation with someone while the music is playing.

But for the small minority who have it up too loud that they are a potential hazard to others, I can understand why a (loose) blanket ban is required.

Also, with the development of apps like runkeeper etc, many people may be using headphones not for music, but for hearing avg. pace etc. This means a couple of words once every mile which shouldn't be too much of a hazard.

i dont listen to music on the headphones, used to listen to off the ball in the evenings and rte1 on the sunday long run, can guarantee you i can hear cars several hundred meters away with them. Also i hate hearing my breathing when i run for some reason!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

At the end of the day the ban on headphones exists for a reason the sad thing about it is I rarely see it enforced.

But it none the less causes issues at races and generally runners wearing them are completely ignorant to their surroundings...TFBubendorfer's post is a perfect example of this.

By all means use them when training if you need to but its not much to ask to respect other runners, the race organizers/stewards and emergency vehicles/race vehicles and just not wear them for the day of the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Isn't there a happy medium where you can have the music on down low enough to be able to hear everything that's happening around you?

Everyone thinks they're playing music at this volume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Notwithstanding the rules and the health and saftey aspect..... Why anyone would want to wear headphones whilst in beautiful Connemara, surrounded by other nationalities, some doing the HM, Marathon and Ultra is beyond me. There's a time for an enjoyable trot around in an event and there's a time for racing... Neither of which should involve headphones in my opinion. Are headphones a way of blocking out the pain and/or the psychological battle that pertains whilst distance running? If so, shouldn't your training involve both physical and mental preparation and improvement?

• Advertisement

the best part of races for me is the random chats with other people. Some lad from Bohermeen AC got me through a couple of miles last week in no time at all as we chew the fat.

Advertisement