Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2013 Art O'Neill Challenge

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 chesscyclist

The URL above is broken.
    The correct URL is: http://northfacejohn.com/index.php/opinion/art-oneill-challenge-2013/

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

They're both exactly the same, chesscyclist, and both work.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Rogue Runner

This will be my first AON. Really enjoyed reading the the 2012 Thread btw. There was some invaluable advice
    Quick question though. With the Hybrid Category, is it only trekking for the mountain stages with the guided groups, or do any run?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Yeah only trekking with a group in previous years. There were fast and slow groups although the fast groups were just a fast walk.

In theory, you could arrange a group beforehand with an experienced navigator and agree to run together. Presumably this would have to be cleared with the organisers beforehand?

I did the hybrid and really enjoyed it but it was slightly frustrating not going at your own pace. But then, the guides knew their way and I didn't. Keep an eye on this thread and IMRA forum for group recces of the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Video link is borked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

• Registered Users Posts: 5 chesscyclist

I have heard stories of people doing the Hybrid run and then waiting ages for a treking group to follow.
    A better strategy would be to use a GPS with the route preprogrammed and to recce the mountain parts a few times.
    That is my plan, to recce the route at least twice before the main event. It would also make for good training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

nerraw1111 wrote: »

In theory, you could arrange a group beforehand with an experienced navigator and agree to run together.

Thats a great idea. Surely the organizers would allow this as having to navigate would turn a lot of people off doing this race. It sounds like a great event and I'd definitely be interested if it wasnt for the need to navigate. But then again I suppose the organizers don't want people getting separated from the group/lost with no nav experience...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

Thats a great idea. Surely the organizers would allow this as having to navigate would turn a lot of people off doing this race. It sounds like a great event and I'd definitely be interested if it wasnt for the need to navigate. But then again I suppose the organizers don't want people getting separated from the group/lost with no nav experience...

It doesn't matter how many people are turned off the race by the need to navigate. Everybody is still going to need to either be able to navigate by themselves or be permanently in the company of someone doing the navigation on the mountain sections. In the end you're all adults. The primary responsibility for your saftey in the mountains is your own. So there is no problem with organising your own groups for the ultrarun, even if not everyone can navigate. But everyone in the group should be responsible for everyone else in the group all the time!

It's that personal responsibility of looking after your own route finding and saftey at night in the Ireland's largest wilderness area in the middle of winter that I real love about the Art O'Neill. I love it most when I'm out on my own with no-one around. It's the gnarliest ultrarun in Ireland.

As a general point, you're missing out on a huge amount by not being able to navigate. It's not some magic lack art... it's actually pretty straighforward to pick up enough information to be able to do an event like the Art O'Neill. Being able to navigate gives you complete freedom and independence in the mountains, whether you're going for a short training run or a massive expedition. If you enjoy hill running it's probably the single most valueable skill to pick up.

Enduro wrote: »
    It doesn't matter how many people are turned off the race by the need to navigate. Everybody is still going to need to either be able to navigate by themselves or be permanently in the company of someone doing the navigation on the mountain sections. In the end you're all adults. The primary responsibility for your saftey in the mountains is your own. So there is no problem with organising your own groups for the ultrarun, even if not everyone can navigate. But everyone in the group should be responsible for everyone else in the group all the time!

It's that personal responsibility of looking after your own route finding and saftey at night in the Ireland's largest wilderness area in the middle of winter that I real love about the Art O'Neill. I love it most when I'm out on my own with no-one around. It's the gnarliest ultrarun in Ireland.

As a general point, you're missing out on a huge amount by not being able to navigate. It's not some magic lack art... it's actually pretty straighforward to pick up enough information to be able to do an event like the Art O'Neill. Being able to navigate gives you complete freedom and independence in the mountains, whether you're going for a short training run or a massive expedition. If you enjoy hill running it's probably the single most valueable skill to pick up.

Thanks Enduro, might hook up with you so. ;)

• Advertisement

I've a basic understanding of navigation.

How long is a piece a string question coming up...but is it a case of just recceing the route in advance, becoming competent with a compass and map and you're good to go?

Or should you be doing something like a mountain skills course?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

I've a basic understanding of navigation.

How long is a piece a string question coming up...but is it a case of just recceing the route in advance, becoming competent with a compass and map and you're good to go?

Or should you be doing something like a mountain skills course?

Starting point - print off some of the maps for fixed orienteering courses (http://www.coillteoutdoors.ie/index.php?id=89) and head out some nice afternoon. Try walking a few legs/sections and then a few running where you put yourself underpressure. Gets you used to making some decisions (and mistakes !). Then try again, but taking a different route and look at various 'safety net' (Handrail) items that will catch you early if you go in the wrong direction or overrun (paths, junctions, rivers etc).

Then, on a nice autumn day, head out to a hill that you know well with the relevant OS map. Walk your usual trek, but this time "work" the map as you go along looking to call off the various parts of the terrain that you pass or can see in the distance.
    Put the map away and then walk a bit and try to re-orientate yourself by looking that physical terrain and match that to the map . Do it again later on, WITHOUT the compass (Hint - high points are best).

All of this should be a fun way to learn some of the basics. HOWEVER, navigation at night, when tired should not be underestimated. "Measure twice - cut once". Have someone also make the route choices, individually, and then check with each other. You will be very surprised how easy it is to think you are one place (the junctions/roads/rivers all appear to be in the correct place) but you are really somewhere else. On longer sections, it is always good to have a few waypoints in mind so that you can check yourself as you move along.

As Enduro, mentioned, the navigation elements can really add to a hillrun or trek. Also makes a great family day out when the kids may start to moan about the weather, the hill, being tired :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

Great event, would be nice if they could change the transition area for the hybrid, if I remember correctly there is 8 - 10 kms of road after the transition till you go off road (apart from a few hundred metres through a field). This section is easy to follow and at worst would require a marshall at one or two junctions. I found this section horribly boring and would have much prefered to run it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Did anybody register today? Did registration ever open?

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

Did anybody register today? Did registration ever open?

i don't think so.
    http://www.artoneillchallenge.ie/ is still showing the same page, no update.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭trailrunner

i tryed to enter a few times today, 1st time was at 6am but the site is not taking the registration..!! the whole thing seems a bit of a shambolic set up to be honest.

Tried to register as well but the link doesn't seem to work. All will be sorted soon enough I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

the whole thing seems a bit of a shambolic set up to be honest.
    give the guys a chance, i am sure they'll sort this out promptly.

I'm sure Art himself had trouble registering too, and he went and did the Challenge no bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

I'm sure Art himself had trouble registering too, and he went and did the Challenge no bother.
    Ah he was only wrecked after it though. In fact, he died. Hit the wall at mile 20 and never recovered!

• Advertisement

Ah he was only wrecked after it though. In fact, he died. Hit the wall at mile 20 and never recovered!

Did he not eat the porridge at the 1st CP?

In all seriousness, I hope I don't miss registration whenever it does open! I'm pressing refresh all day yesterday & today!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭aigster

Did he not eat the porridge at the 1st CP?

In all seriousness, I hope I don't miss registration whenever it does open! I'm pressing refresh all day yesterday & today!

Are the hybrid groups walking the off road completely ??... Sounds the way to go for a novice to the hills...dark... Navigating ...do they leave in large groups.... It might sound silly but I'd hate to get lost!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

aigster wrote: »
    Are the hybrid groups walking the off road completely ??... Sounds the way to go for a novice to the hills...dark... Navigating ...do they leave in large groups.... It might sound silly but I'd hate to get lost!!

hybrids run to cp1,and then join the walking groups that have a navigator,..

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭aigster

ultraman1 wrote: »

hybrids run to cp1,and then join the walking groups that have a navigator,..
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Hi.
    Did anyone manage to sign up yet ?. The web page has changed slightly but the sign up page will not open .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Yeah, the website is looking normal again, but the registration process is still not working. The sign up page brings up the same page as it was since Saturday.

It looks like the event doesn't exist on the Actvie Europe site, hence no registration.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Yeah, the website is looking normal again, but the registration process is still not working. The sign up page brings up the same page as it was since Saturday.

It looks like the event doesn't exist on the Actvie Europe site, hence no registration.

Yeah looks like the event isn't open on the Active Europe page yet. I'll say it be sorted soon.

Interesting to read that this could be the last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Interesting to read that this could be the last year.

Maybe the last years those folks organise it, but we can always just go and do it, in the true spirit of Art. We don't need navigators or checkpoints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

And it's up.

The last year thing may have this selling out fairly quickly. The NPWS limited the numbers at the IMRA Brockagh race earlier this year too.

• Advertisement

it's up but you cant proceed to to checkout. :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement