Bad Experience today-open farm cork - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

07-09-2012, 00:35   #1
fleddy

Bad Experience today-open farm cork

Hi

I had a bad customer service experience with the owner of Tir na Si Open farm in Watergrasshill. I went there with my toddler and 2 month old baby and made a complaint about how disappointed I was with The experience of my visit.
I was very polite and it was a member of staff who suggested I should speak to the manager, as I wasn't initially bothered taking it any further.
however I was quite taken aback at how the manager/owner defensive and condescending attitude towards me. as if how dare I say I was disappointed in the visit.

I left feeling very very upset with two young children and had to stop for cup of tea on way home to cork city to calm down.
has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks
Advertisement
07-09-2012, 01:05   #2
ahnowbrowncow

What disappointed you about the visit? Apart from the talk with the manager obviously
07-09-2012, 02:00   #3
Orion
My karma just ran over your dogma

Moved from Parenting
07-09-2012, 09:56   #4
fleddy

Hi
what disappointed me was that
• That the signage was poor, she then defensively pointed at 1 signpost near the entrance that I honestly missed with 2 smallies. and said I surely know what a vegetable patch was when I see one.

• Then when I said there were empty paddocks all near the pond. She condenscendingly said I obviously was not from a farming background as they rotate the animals in the paddocks (I said I actually grew up on a farm). Also note there was 1 cow and 1 horse alone in large paddocks.

• When I then said I found it expensive for the amount I saw (€10 in total as they charge for over 1 year Old’s) - she then said that Rumleys charge €8 and that I would be more suited to Fota.

also I think it is quite greedy charging another €4-€5 for the indoor play area.

basically I thought the viewing of the animals/pond/ so called nature walk were not up to scratch for public viewing, i honestly thought I had arrived at end of the season as the place was dead, no farming activity or pony and trap happening.
I felt I paid €10 to see 1 cow, 1 horse,goats/ponies/2 alpacas,few sheep and hens/geese.
I do not usually complain but I could live with all that if my little fella wasn't going to be charged extra for the indoor play area.

I just felt it was all money with 3 types of tickets and feel more effort was put into the visitor lobby and restaurant than on the actual farm itself.
both Rumley's and Leahy's offered more animals and indoor play area and could spend all day in both places compared to the above.
07-09-2012, 12:28   #5
dj_

What did you expect the owner/manager to say? Apologise for how poor their establishment is and give you a refund?

It's pretty common for people to get defensive when you criticise them. I say just forget about it and move on. There is nothing more you can do and anyone reading this thread probably won't bother going there based on your review.
Advertisement
07-09-2012, 12:38   #6
fleddy

your right dj, but I expect not to be spoken down to . i was polite and the woman had an awful attitude. she could have taken on board my comments and left it at that. the fact the place was dead... just shows me that it was more down to her and the place , then the schools being back. i only posted this thread as i feel so annoyed at the way i was spoken to more than the actual farm itself.
07-09-2012, 13:12   #7
will.i.am
Banned

Well to be honest the woman is from a farming background and she understands for a farm is run. It is not possible for any farm to have animals in every field.
As for the signage. It can be difficult to have large signs due to planning laws and often large signs can cause people difficulty seeing out of junctions.
Thanks from:
07-09-2012, 14:46   #8
dj_

Quote:
Originally Posted by will.i.am View Post
Well to be honest the woman is from a farming background and she understands for a farm is run. It is not possible for any farm to have animals in every field.
Very true for a normal farm but when you are running an open farm you would imagine that things could be organised differently. It wouldn't be too hard to move the animals to fields further from the viewing areas outside of opening hours.

Can't really think of any excuse for the owners attitude. It is very important in any position when dealing with customers to be nice to them.
07-09-2012, 23:26   #9
fleddy

thank you D.J, that is my point exactly, should be able to have the actual paddocks of the farm open to visitors with animals with them.
will.i.am, I am not an unreasonable person who complains ata drop of a hat. I am from a dairy farming background and realise it's not easy and animals need to be rotated and that long hours are involved, but I did not pay an entrance fee for myself and my 21 month old to see empty fields and 1 cow and 1 horse. my last word on this thread is that I went to rumleys farm recently and maybe this spoilt ne for choice, but they had several breeds of cow on display and had signage on the actual fences just telling you the breed and a little note on them. also leahys do something similar.I just felt it was less about the farm and more about having a nice indoor play area and restaurant. I just felt the farm side was secondary to everything else.

thanks for all the feed-back, and DJ -You got it in one when you said " It is very important in any position when dealing with customers to be nice to them".
Thanks from:
Advertisement
09-09-2012, 10:29   #10
Sam Kade

If you don't like it then don't go back there again and put it down to experience. If you thought the entry fee was too high what was stopping you saying no thanks and leaving?
(3) thanks from:
10-09-2012, 10:54   #11
Judes

I brought my nephew and parents to Leahy's Farm in East Cork about 3 years ago - it was raining - so we understood things wouldn't be as perfect as walking around a farm in the sunshine - but the place was horrendous. I reckon they would have failed on all counts of Health and Safety when it came to the "indoor playing area" - the place was dirty/rusty/dangerous - and I have spent time on farms previously - helping out and staying at friends' farms - so I don't need to be told I don't understand the runnings of a farm. Whatever we paid at the time - was too much. We went into the cafe and it just wasn't nice. I got the feeling they just wanted to make as much money as they could but offering very little. We left there disappointed and swore we would never go again.

I can't wait to go to Lumley's/Lumney's Farm - I've heard really good reports about both the farm and the cafe. So looks like I now have 2 farms to avoid. I'm only sorry I didn't complain to the Owners of Leahy's Farm at the time - but my parents just wanted to get out of the place. And my young nephew wasn't enthralled either.
10-09-2012, 21:38   #12
Lisha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judes View Post

I can't wait to go to Lumley's/Lumney's Farm - I've heard really good reports about both the farm and the cafe.
HI where is Lumney's/Lumley's farm please?

THanks
Thanks from:
11-09-2012, 01:32   #13
cordub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisha View Post

THanks
its just past the VIADUCT on the bandon road , about 3 mins from dunnes stores bishopstown
Thanks from:
11-09-2012, 12:56   #14
telekon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisha View Post

THanks
Just to clarify things, its called Rumley's Farm and I've only heard good things about it.

http://www.rumleysfarm.ie/
(2) thanks from:
11-09-2012, 15:21   #15
trotter_inc

To the OP...

I'm glad you posted this and I'm glad you complained about your visit to the manager. If you weren't happy then you were right to complain, for the most part we don't do it enough when we're not happy with a service.

The attitude of the manager was unacceptable and by posting here you'll be letting other people aware of what the place is like. I know all paddocks can't be housing animals, especially with the poor growth we've had this year, but an attitude like that from any manager is unacceptable.
Thanks from:
Thread Closed