Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. [US] ** Spoilers **

• 29-08-2012 7:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Just announced.
    http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=35011

Joss Whedon to direct and co write pilot. It would be interesting to see if some of the movies characters would make some appearances. Certainly Coulson and Maria Hill could be regulars especially if they set this pre-Avengers.

Oh and I know it's tv series and not a film but I thought it might be no harm posting a thread here since there is a following of comic book movies here.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Moved to TV - more than enough superhero film threads in film at the moment without expanding to other mediums!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

ABC in america have ordered a S.H.I.E.L.D pilot that Josh Whedon will write and could possibly direct,

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2012/08/29/pilot-ordered-for-abcs-joss-whedon-marvel-tv-series-and-its-shield

this is a big risk for Marvel to take, but seeing at how successful the Avengers franchise is this could expand even further on the Marvel universe, and the series could be used a vehicle to lead us into each film, with Marvel releasing a film practically every 6 months for each individual character, and it looking like a single Avengers film every 3 or 4 years,

this could be epic if done right, and with Whedon himself involved in the pilot, it could easily go to series, and with his vested interest in The Avengers franchise he could have a lot of involvement in the series,

• New Joss Whedon TV show? Excuse me while I have a slight nerdgasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Fingers crossed that this will be good, but then Joss Whedon is involved, so there probably isn't any need for that.

• I hope they find an excuse to swear in Chinese.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

Amy Acker. Amy Acker. Amy Acker.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,809 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Nathan Fillion Nathan Fillion Nathan Fillion

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

This could be the biggest and buzzed pilot ever!....surpassing Wonder Woman, i ope the actor who died in Avengers gets cast as the lead, Coulson....he was great!

This is very much like a played straight Men In Black....if you''ve seen Item 47 there are 47 alien tech/items out there, they could prequel it....each week tryna recover an item etc.

Item 47 had Titus Welliver, Lizzy Caplan + that guy fom Buffy has was bofing Anya...Brendan something.

This could be the biggest and buzzed pilot ever!....surpassing Wonder Woman,
    i ope the actor who died in Avengers gets cast as the lead, Coulson....he was great!

This is very much like a played straight Men In Black....if you''ve seen Item 47 there are 47 alien tech/items out there, they could prequel it....each week tryna recover an item etc.

Item 47 had Titus Welliver, Lizzy Caplan + that guy fom Buffy has was bofing Anya...Brendan something.
    spoilers man, also item 47 is fairly self contained, the storyline doesnt leave much room for expansion

also as i said its only gotten a pilot order, no doubt it will be a very expensive show to make, so its all down to how cheaply they can make it,

also it would be great if they got cobie smulders in as hill in the series, if HIMYM ends this year she might get cast, i dunno if shell try her hand at films afterwards or what, itd be cool if they could get an avenger or two to pop up every so often, it might be in their contracts for all we know :cool:

whedon is more or less saying hell drop by from time to time if the show gets picked up to series, hes not gonna be the show runner, he does have another film to get to work on like:D

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/08/30/joss-whedon-talks-s-h-i-e-l-d-tv-series-plus-the-avengers-back-in-theaters-labor-day-weekend/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I said it already in another thread, but this will be an interesting acid-test of just how much stomach audiences have for the superhero genre. It's one thing to get bums on seats for thrill-rides in the cinema, another to get them behind a TV show. 'Proper' superhero telly is practically non-existent - the costumes, capes & operatic variety that is - and when they have tried it with shows like The Cape, they've tended to be garbage. I'm presuming though that the sheer calibre of money, clout & names behind the pilot will give it a better chance than most.

Given it'll be focused on SHIELD, I guess the arc of the show will be more along the lines of Fringe or the like: following a crack team of agents investigating various Marvel-related threats & shenanigans, maybe bring in friends & foes from the comics that are too B-list for the cinema.

pixelburp wrote: »
    I said it already in another thread, but this will be an interesting acid-test of just how much stomach audiences have for the superhero genre. It's one thing to get bums on seats for thrill-rides in the cinema, another to get them behind a TV show. 'Proper' superhero telly is practically non-existent - the costumes, capes & operatic variety that is - and when they have tried it with shows like The Cape, they've tended to be garbage. I'm presuming though that the sheer calibre of money, clout & names behind the pilot will give it a better chance than most.

Given it'll be focused on SHIELD, I guess the arc of the show will be more along the lines of Fringe or the like: following a crack team of agents investigating various Marvel-related threats & shenanigans, maybe bring in friends & foes from the comics that are too B-list for the cinema.
    smallville was extremely successful and ran for 10 season :o:o,

but yeah i could see something along the story telling of fringe possibly working, its gonna be a big ask, not only to get a solid cast and a good writing crew together but imagine how much itll cost to make also,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

don ramo wrote: »
    smallville was extremely successful and ran for 10 season :o:o,

See my caveat about being complete garbage ;) and besides, even Smallville for the most part kept its superheroes behind closed doors & as shadow'y, guarded secrets: I'm talking about TV worlds where superhero exist & are very public in saving the world and doing their thing. Costumed heros have tended not to work on TV

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

Coulda be fake. Whedon is known for false sides during auditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,296 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

DeWitt wrote: »
    Amy Acker. Amy Acker. Amy Acker.

she's currently the bad guy in Person of Interest

• Registered Users Posts: 84,809 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Wheddon likes to work with same group actors so of course anyone from Buffy, Angel, Dollhouse and Firefly will be linked

I'd like Enver Gjokaj and Adam Baldwin to be cast :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

F*ck Yeah. Clark Gregg to reprise his role as Coulson

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/nycomicconnews.php?id=95880

• Will Samuel L. Jackon also make an appearance, I wonder?

any word on an actual air date for this yet, are we gonna see it at some point in 2013

• Advertisement

Colmo52 wrote: »
    F*ck Yeah. Clark Gregg to reprise his role as Coulson

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/nycomicconnews.php?id=95880

Better spoiler this, just to protect the overly sensitive:
    Well that announcement leaves two possibilities really, doesn't it? Either Coulson wasn't actually dead, in which case Whedon is committing a fairly cheap, cardinal sin of storytelling, or else it's a prequel of some kind. I hope it's the latter because the former just undercuts a lot of the movies pathos.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Better spoiler this, just to protect the overly sensitive:
    Well that announcement leaves two possibilities really, doesn't it? Either Coulson wasn't actually dead, in which case Whedon is committing a fairly cheap, cardinal sin of storytelling, or else it's a prequel of some kind. I hope it's the latter because the former just undercuts a lot of the movies pathos.

not much need for spoilers, cause we know noting about how the show is gonna play out, and your giving your opinion,

it would make sense for it to be a prequel, that way when you get a big bad guy the S.H.I.E.L.D team will have to deal with the problem themselves, and not just give stark a buzz to take care of it, im more interested in whether hawkeye or black widow will make an appearance if it is a prequel,

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Icarus Wings

not much need for spoilers, cause we know noting about how the show is gonna play out, and your giving your opinion,

it would make sense for it to be a prequel, that way when you get a big bad guy the S.H.I.E.L.D team will have to deal with the problem themselves, and not just give stark a buzz to take care of it, im more interested in whether hawkeye or black widow will make an appearance if it is a prequel,

Interesting to see if they will focus entirely on the classic "soldier/agent team" element taking on lesser known and once-off villians from the comics (kind of like NCIS, with a clear emphasis on the team) or a show focussed on building up the less famous hero types.

Hard to see them including the "big" names in the series, as those will probably be saved for individual movies. I'd love to see the likes of Nova, Cable, Luke Cage and Dr. Strange. I'll be shocked if there's no appearance of Bucky...although don't know how that would fit into the continuum. :confused:

Well I just spoilered it in case there were those who hadn't yet seen the film, and it could be argued it's not a prerequisite to discussing the TV show. That said I suppose it's hard to take this announcement and not talk about the characters arc in the film.

I suppose the most obvious arc to take with the prequel idea could be its formation - how SHIELD went from being AN-Other agency in Iron Man 1 to the globe-spanning powerhouse it was in Avengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

The series could still be set post-"Avengers" by having SHIELD deal with smaller threats that would be under the Avengers' radar (like the "Item 47" short film : a pair of bank robbers get their hands on a alien weapon left behind in NYC).

If that is the case then as much as I love the character I think it's a huge mistake to bring back Coulson (for similar reasons to Pixelburp in post #22).

More cast added, pretty sure this'll be picked up by someone.

http://tvline.com/2012/11/27/shield-tv-show-casts-brett-dalton/

would love to see someone like lance reddick and john noble from fringe get on this show, have noble in charge of the division and reddick in charge on the ground, and maybe yvonne strahovski from chuck also, and maybe get brian cranston from breaking bad in as the series bad guy,

• Advertisement

Well that answers that then - the pilot will be set after the events of The Avengers; so naturally the next question is how Coulson fits in. I guess he's either alive or present in flashback:

http://www.slashfilm.com/marvels-s-h-i-e-l-d-takes-place-after-the-avengers-how-does-agent-coulson-fit-in/

Advertisement