Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
27-08-2012, 16:46   #1
Slimshadey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4
Irish citizenship, Immigration

Hi Guys

I'm currently unemployed and want to apply for an Irish citizenship, I know the dole is a massive No No when it comes to that but I didn't take a penny from gov for 2 and half years as I'm living now with my Polish partner and minding our 7 months daughter at the moment so she is looking after the family financially.
I have worked form more than 3 three years here but unfortunately I couldn't find a job at the moment, I have been living in Ireland for more than 5 Years and had continiously resided here for the last year.
P.S the INIS still have my old passport since I applied for visa renewal in April 2010 and never gave back to me.

Thanks in advance folks and I hope to get some answers soon :-)
Slimshadey is offline  
Advertisement
27-08-2012, 18:34   #2
blueythebear
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimshadey View Post
Hi Guys

I'm currently unemployed and want to apply for an Irish citizenship, I know the dole is a massive No No when it comes to that but I didn't take a penny from gov for 2 and half years as I'm living now with my Polish partner and minding our 7 months daughter at the moment so she is looking after the family financially.
I have worked form more than 3 three years here but unfortunately I couldn't find a job at the moment, I have been living in Ireland for more than 5 Years and had continiously resided here for the last year.
P.S the INIS still have my old passport since I applied for visa renewal in April 2010 and never gave back to me.

Thanks in advance folks and I hope to get some answers soon :-)

Your passport needs to show 60 months of Residency stamps in the last 8 years, including at least twelve months prior ot the application.

If the INIS still have your current passport since 2010, do you have a current residency stamp? Either way, it is worth using the services of a solicitor to make the application or sort out your current residency.
blueythebear is offline  
27-08-2012, 18:40   #3
biko
Percolator
 
biko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Galway
Posts: 43,597
I suppose you have already looked up citizeninformation page on this? Otherwise it has some good info.
http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en...alisation.html
biko is offline  
27-08-2012, 20:15   #4
Slimshadey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueythebear View Post
Your passport needs to show 60 months of Residency stamps in the last 8 years, including at least twelve months prior ot the application.

If the INIS still have your current passport since 2010, do you have a current residency stamp? Either way, it is worth using the services of a solicitor to make the application or sort out your current residency.
Thanks kindly for your reply,

Yes I have got a current residency stamp for three years until the 16 Aug 2014, I contacted my solicitor who was in charge of my Immigration and got my residency back because I had a problem with renewing it when I applied on 2010, I call him every week for the last 9 months but he seems not able to get my old passport back from INIS, maybe he wants more money after 1200 Euro that I paid, I'm not too sure!

Cheers!
Slimshadey is offline  
27-08-2012, 20:19   #5
Slimshadey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by biko View Post
I suppose you have already looked up citizeninformation page on this? Otherwise it has some good info.
http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en...alisation.html
Thanks a lot biko,

Yeah I had a look at that link before but my case is a bit of messed up one coz I am unemployed at the moment and took social welfare (dole) 2 and a half years ago.

Kind regards
Slimshadey is offline  
Advertisement
28-08-2012, 00:43   #6
IrishAm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hill 16 - Its Dublin only
Posts: 1,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimshadey View Post
Yeah I had a look at that link before but my case is a bit of messed up one coz I am unemployed at the moment and took social welfare (dole) 2 and a half years ago.
Can you become an Irish citizen if you only worked here for three years and were in receipt of social welfare benefits for the rest?

Madness, if you can.
IrishAm is offline  
28-08-2012, 00:48   #7
Our man in Havana
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 28,890
Receipt of SW ever seems to disqualify.
Our man in Havana is offline  
28-08-2012, 01:30   #8
IrishAm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hill 16 - Its Dublin only
Posts: 1,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Our man in Havana View Post
Receipt of SW ever seems to disqualify.
Can you prove this? I've heard of many people obtaining citizenship whilst on welfare, but I always thought they slipped the net or were given a green light due to good work in the community or some such.

People on welfare, longterm, should be automatically disqualified from obtaining citizenship. We have enough people on welfare, thank you very much, Minister Shatter.
IrishAm is offline  
28-08-2012, 01:33   #9
Our man in Havana
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 28,890
Slipped through I would say. Maybe INIS were not checking properly.

I was talking to a solicitor that specialises in such matters and he advised me that there is absolutely no point in applying if you had ever taken SW during your time in Ireland.
Our man in Havana is offline  
Advertisement
28-08-2012, 01:43   #10
ResearchWill
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 4,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Our man in Havana View Post
Slipped through I would say. Maybe INIS were not checking properly.

I was talking to a solicitor that specialises in such matters and he advised me that there is absolutely no point in applying if you had ever taken SW during your time in Ireland.
I would say every application I saw with social welfare was refused. Not sure what the current ministers would do as I have not seen any refusals on that basis, since he took office, that of course could be because people in that situation are not applying or have avoided claiming SW as they knew it could be an issue.

The last minister would refuse for I kid you not a high paid professional with one conviction, not producing on demand a driving licence. I have seen minor RTA offences now getting approved.
ResearchWill is offline  
28-08-2012, 01:59   #11
IrishAm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hill 16 - Its Dublin only
Posts: 1,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResearchWill View Post

The last minister would refuse for I kid you not a high paid professional with one conviction, not producing on demand a driving licence. I have seen minor RTA offences now getting approved.
That is equally as ridiculous as some lad who is on welfare whom has been bestowed Irish citizenship. The whole process needs to be more transparent. They also need to include a basic Irish History exam(ala America) and make sure that applicants are competent in one of the two languages of the state.

Also, according to recent Metro Eireann articles, some applicants have used it as a stepping stone into EU member states, Canada, Australia and America.

This is not right either.
IrishAm is offline  
28-08-2012, 12:35   #12
Slimshadey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishAm View Post
Can you become an Irish citizen if you only worked here for three years and were in receipt of social welfare benefits for the rest?

Madness, if you can.
Dear Mr IrishAm, I'm trying to look for advice from helpful people. so please do so if you can or just leave a blank or don't comment at all.
You didn't even get the whole story right, You got it all wrong I'm afraid as far as the period of receipt of SW and my work history
I saw you taking my story as an example of mockery to make your comment look cool!!in my eyes you are very negative person and just hate everybody around you.

Thank you for reading

Last edited by Slimshadey; 28-08-2012 at 12:43.
Slimshadey is offline  
28-08-2012, 22:08   #13
MadsL
Elevation: 5,023ft
 
MadsL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: 570 miles from Vegas that way, 123 miles that way!
Posts: 18,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishAm View Post
Can you become an Irish citizen if you only worked here for three years and were in receipt of social welfare benefits for the rest?

Madness, if you can.
So people who work in Ireland are paying PRSI for what purpose exactly?



Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishAm View Post
That is equally as ridiculous as some lad who is on welfare whom has been bestowed Irish citizenship. The whole process needs to be more transparent. They also need to include a basic Irish History exam(ala America) and make sure that applicants are competent in one of the two languages of the state.
Which version of Irish History do you propose?

Quote:
Also, according to recent Metro Eireann articles,
Ah, that bastion of accurate journalism.

Quote:
some applicants have used it as a stepping stone into EU member states, Canada, Australia and America. This is not right either.
Stepping stone? If you are naturalised citizen should you be imprisoned in Ireland? Technically in 2 years i could have 3 passports, something wrong with that?
MadsL is offline  
30-08-2012, 02:09   #14
IrishAm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hill 16 - Its Dublin only
Posts: 1,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadsL View Post
Which version of Irish History do you propose?
A basic examination. One were one sentence answers suffices . Example: When was the First Dail declared? What are the two official languages of the state? Who was the first female president? Where is the All Ireland Football and Hurling Finals held each year? What month?



Quote:
Originally Posted by MadsL View Post
Ah, that bastion of accurate journalism.
They were speaking upon naturalised citizens behalf. Warning those that were unaware of the rules i.e if you leave the state for a significant amount of time without informing the Department of Foreign affairs, you may well lose your citizenship


Quote:
Originally Posted by MadsL View Post
Stepping stone? Technically in 2 years i could have 3 passports, something wrong with that?
Are you collecting them?
IrishAm is offline  
30-08-2012, 02:14   #15
MadsL
Elevation: 5,023ft
 
MadsL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: 570 miles from Vegas that way, 123 miles that way!
Posts: 18,427
Is it history or a pub quiz team you are after?

Got a link for those articles?

Quote:
Are you collecting them?
Does that concern you? If I fulfill my duties as a citizen what's the harm?
MadsL is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet