Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

KI entrance exams

Options
  • 21-08-2012 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Pretty sure I failed today - question 1 I made a hash of & forgot half what I should have said, keep getting statute names mixed up & forgetting case names :( fairly sure going into it that I didn't have much chance as my plan to study for months didn't exactly work out.... Oh well there's always next year

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

The Inns allows for compensation in one subject. Do not, repeat DO NOT give up. It's a 5 day event. Ears back, head down and forget about today.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭swervring

Tom Young wrote: »
    The Inns allows for compensation in one subject. Do not, repeat DO NOT give up. It's a 5 day event. Ears back, head down and forget about today.

Thanks Tom. I'm still feeling that I'll be back next year as lack of study means that overall I feel my answers demonstrate a good knowledge & understanding of the law but without appropriate reference to case law or legislation which will be my downfall!! But the head is going back down & into contract for tomorrow....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Good luck - I'm being entertained by various Lord Denning quotes in regard to exemption clauses for my undergrad Contract exam on Thursday.

You probably did better than you think you did - don't give up - you'll be pissed off if you find you passed that one and then failed one because you gave up.

swervring wrote: »
    Thanks Tom. I'm still feeling that I'll be back next year as lack of study means that overall I feel my answers demonstrate a good knowledge & understanding of the law but without appropriate reference to case law or legislation which will be my downfall!! But the head is going back down & into contract for tomorrow....

Issues are the key. Being able to identify issues will get you a long long way to that pass. Keep it going and best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Pretty sure I failed today - question 1 I made a hash of & forgot half what I should have said, keep getting statute names mixed up & forgetting case names :( fairly sure going into it that I didn't have much chance as my plan to study for months didn't exactly work out.... Oh well there's always next year

NEVER give up with the KI entrance exams, you could have got 45% and so you just need to pass the other 4. Forget about todays exam now and work on passing the others.

I saw LOTS of people last year who thought they had failed one and passed. Keep going and good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭page1

The rape question right? I just set out the section then wrote about recklessness and a small bit on consent and intoxication. It was an odd question. I felt I did better in tort yesterday. Roll on contract tomorrow. Don't get disheartened and don't dwell on it. Move on and concentrate on the rest of them. Good luck for the rest of the week.

Exactly, the rape question. I concentrated on consent and think half what i wrote was actually irrelevant but couldnt think of anything else - expanding on recklessness didnt actually dawn on me until hours later. what confused me the most was "assume that the jury accept her version of events" - seemed like that answered the entire question on its own! The rest of it was ok but seemed like I didnt have much to say about any of it. Seemed a good lot of people left early though so at least it wasnt just me. Definitely happier with Tort yesterday.... bring on Contract tomorrow :eek:

And good look to you too page1 :)

And good look to you too page1 :)
    Thanks. I read the question about 6 times trying to figure out what he was looking for. The "assume" bit threw me too I though if they have accepted her evidence what more is there? Honestly it took a good 10 minutes before I was sure of what to write.

Can anyone recount the question in close terms?

• Advertisement

Essentially:
    boy meets girl late at night & she's obviously had a few, boy asks girl back, she says yes, they do some stuff then he asks for s3x & she says no, but later changes her mind. Few days later she goes to Gardai, says she never would have consented if she wasn't intoxicated, he knew she was & took advantage, and she remembers telling him to stop during it but he didn't. Assuming that the jury accept her version of events, advise boy as to whether he is likely to be convicted.

think that was all of it...

So: 2006/2007, CC v Ireland, A v Gov Arbour Hill Prison, Consent, Recklessness. R v Olugboja. Constitutional case on Equality SD/MD v Ireland.

Pass on correct advices and mention of new Defence of Honest Belief and possible dispatch of offence at District Court.

Jury point interesting in that you assume fact for one and against the other in those circumstances.

As per Tom's post above and also mention the doctrine of recent complaint.

It's a bit confusing alright, I mean if the jury believe her, then he is likely to be convicted surely? Are they looking for you to talk about whether there should be no case to answer or whether the judge should direct an acquital here?

Tough question but I'd imagine it would be marked easy.

Got consent, defence of honest belief, Kaitamaki v. R mens rea for continuing act... think i missed most of the rest of it... but anyway cant change it now!!!

There was no mention of age in it so I didn't mention A, CC or MD. Thought about the doctrine of recent complaint but didn't put it down as we were told th jury accepted her evidence. I put down Kaitmaki v R and Camplin, then all about consent, reasonable grounds for believing, recklessness and burden of proof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Stop dissecting and concentrate on your upcoming papers! :D

Mess with this on on Saturday.

Good thinking :) today was much better... now for the monster that is Constitutional in the morning.... ROLL ON FRIDAY 1PM!!!

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Cantabile

How did people get on today? Tort on Monday was the only one really that I'm worried about. Im just going on the hope that if I wrote 4 or 5 pages for each question there'll be enough in there for them to throw me some marks. ONE MORE SO EXCITED. Can't wait to have a life again!

Today I struggled - not as badly as I did in Criminal, but my third question was a bit of a disaster. Question 1 on the other hand was happy with and the Damache one. Tort and Contract both went better than I expected, my only serious worry is Criminal. I've the exact same hopes re the 4-5 pages!!! As for tomorrow, at this stage I just cant wait for it to be done!!! 13 hours and 2 minutes til freedom.... not that I'm counting or anything :)

• Advertisement

Just watch out for the unduly narrow essays tomorrow ie/ an essay on sacerdotal privilege, I mean who is gonna have a go at that, seriously!!!

Yeah looks like a danger of very specific privilege questions or very narrow issues that may only be worth a page or two... fingers crossed its manageable anyway, just going over EVERYTHING now!! Final hurdle fast approaching :)

I genuinely believe she does it to bottleneck everyone into answering the 3 problem questions she wants them to answer.

NoQuarter wrote: »
    I genuinely believe she does it to bottleneck everyone into answering the 3 problem questions she wants them to answer.
    Only one problem other than section a and as predicted narrow essays - competence of mentally disabled persons to give evidence; without prejudice documents and judges warning in visual Id cases using formal parade !!!!

Wow so you had to take on at least one of those? It would be the casey warning for me thanks very much!

Congrats on finishing, now go get acquainted with eddie in the Inns pub, it will be your new home come October all going well.

Well done!

All five.

Tom Young wrote: »
    All five.
    Done & dusted.... Here's waiting for September 18th!!!
    Tough week felt like it went on forever but it's finally over :)

NoQuarter wrote: »
    Wow so you had to take on at least one of those? It would be the casey warning for me thanks very much!

Congrats on finishing, now go get acquainted with eddie in the Inns pub, it will be your new home come October all going well.

Very narrow essay questions, I was very surprised that there was only one other problem question apart from Q1 and at that the problem question was only about S1(f)(iii) dropping the shield. There was no room for error on the paper, you either knew the very narrow issues or you didn't.
    Luckily for me in the hour prior to the exam I concentrated on the Casey warning and S1(f) and I also knew confessions and hearsay quiet well (Q1).

I'd be fairly confident I passed them all, contract was my only wobble but I still have the hope I can compensate for.
    Roll on the 18th.
    Good luck to all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Hippo

What a week. Indeed, what a year from the start of Dip 2. Contract was the only total disaster, I'd be thrilled to have chiselled 45% out of that. Both Evidence and Criminal were incredibly narrow, little or no room for error there alright.

Interestingly, 2 of the questions on the Tort paper were copied more or less word for word from the 2004 paper, and the passing off question appeared word for word (didn't even bother to change the names) as part of a question on the 2005 paper. This must have proved extremely handy for those had access to the sample answers provided by a certain tutoring institution, not that I'm bitter.

Anyhow good luck all, the die is cast!

Advertisement