There was some interest last month with placing bets on WWE, and Paddy Power are taking bets on this Sunday's show. I know some people asked how it worked and what was the best way to approach it. Figured a few of us wrestling fans could discuss the bets in the hopes some people could follow us and make money on the show. Here's the odds...
First off, I'll say I made profit off the last two shows on accumulators (not a lot; turned 3 quid into 9 both times).
The problem with this show though is that because it's a "bigger" show, as compared to the less important shows that followed, it's harder to call. There's what should happen in terms of results to further stories and get the right characters over, and what WWE wants to do; usually, if WWE feel something is too predicatble, they'll change at the last minute no matter how little sense it makes.
So, the main example of this would be the Dolph Ziggler vs Chris Jericho match; on paper, the point of this match is to get the younger Ziggler over with the crowds ahead of pushing him as a top guy for the company. Logically, Ziggler should get the clean win (hence why the odds are 1/4). On top of that, Jericho is heading off on tour with his band soon so could be wrote out on this show via a loss. Of course, WWE could just as easily put Jericho over and have him win just to be "unpredictable". Here, I'd say there's a 90% chance Ziggler wins, but that's where wrestling bets get dodgy; that 10% that's left over.
Likewise, Brock Lesnar should defeat HHH; Brock lost to John Cena in his last match, and in the process, WWE destroyed what credibility Brock had. The decision was widely panned. What WWE should do with this show is have Brock murder HHH in the hopes they can rehab him and move him on to a big money making feud with someone at Wrestlemania. But HHH is the bosses son-in-law and is a backstage politican, and it's quite possible that they will just feed HHH's ego and have Brock lose to HHH. And then there's the other option; have a DQ ending which sets up a rematch in the next few months. That last option is what I'd say is most likely to happen tbh, so I'll be going for a HHH win in this one (4/1)
Miz should go over Rey Mysterio. 4/6. No story to the match, Miz just won the title. This shouldn't be any problems, and to me, gives the safest bet right now.
Punk, having just turned bad guy, SHOULD retain his title, especially since they just teased he's facing Rock in a few months. Punk is 1/2. I'd rather a bet that Big Show will be the guy who takes the losing pinfall, and it's always dangerous to bet against Cena. But the next PPV is in Cena's home town, and it seems to make more sense that Punk retains here and heads to the next show as the bad guy to defend against the home town hero.
Don't know about Daniel Bryan vs Kane. Could go either way. Charlie Sheen has been teased to make some sort of appearance here, and could aid Kane in the win, so at a push, I'd say go Kane. 8/11. Bryan is a submission specialist, and Kane never taps out. It would destroy his character to do so.
The tag titles match still has to be added to the odds as well.
They usually let accumulators be done at the weekend, presumably once the odds stop fluctuating so much. I'll be doing two accumulators then; one based on what WWE should do logically....
Ziggler, Punk, Brock, Miz, Kane
....and one of what WWE will probably do....
Jericho, Cena, HHH, Miz, Kane.
But those thoughts could change as news of the show develops over the week, so I'd hold out betting till Sunday afternoon tbh.