VAT back on dental services? - uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
Thread Tools Search this Thread
13-08-2012, 20:13   #1
Closed Account
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,474
VAT back on dental services?


I was at the dentist recently and I overheard another patient requesting for a receipt from reception because he wants to claim the VAT back.

I have spent quite a few bob at the dentist and I was wondering if it's possible to claim it back? How should I go about doing it? I have the receipts.

Thanks in advance.
Pov06 is offline  
13-08-2012, 20:18   #2
Registered User
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 251
Dental Expenses
Which dental treatment expenses qualify for tax relief?

Tax legislation specifically excludes relief for expenditure incurred on the extraction, scaling and filling of teeth and the provision and repairing of artificial teeth or dentures. These items are excluded from relief even if there is an underlying medical condition that gives rise to the dental treatment or if the treatment in a particular case is considered to be of a non-routine nature.

A treatment for which relief is claimed must be considered in the light of the above exclusion (i.e. relief for the cost of any work carried out may not be allowed where the treatment is an extraction, scaling or filling of teeth, etc.)

If, however, the treatment is, for example, of an orthodontic nature, involving the extraction of a tooth as part of that treatment, relief would be allowed for the cost of the orthodontic treatment excluding the cost of the extraction.

An exception to this rule is the cost of the surgical extraction of impacted wisdom teeth carried out either in a hospital or in a dental surgery, which is allowable.
Claims for non-routine dental treatment

An individual claiming relief on Form Med 1 for non-routine dental treatment must hold a Form Med 2 (Dental) which is signed and certified by the dental practitioner. The forms are supplied to dentists through the Irish Dental Association.

A list of treatments for which relief may be allowed.
Non-routine dental treatment outside the State

Non-routine dental treatment obtained outside the State may be allowed provided the dentist is a qualified practitioner (i.e. entitled under the laws of the country in which the care is provided to practise dentistry there). A pdfForm Med 2 - Dental Expenses (PDF, 257KB) - Certificate by Dental Practitioner must be completed by the dentist.
sidcon is offline  
13-08-2012, 20:21   #3
Closed Account
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,474
Cheers. I only got a filling and an extraction done so it seems I don't qualify for it.
Pov06 is offline  
13-08-2012, 20:23   #4
Registered User
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Kildare
Posts: 2,087
Just ask your dentist for a Med2 form when treatment is finished or at the end of the year. Submit it as part of a Med1 form. Goto for all the details of how to claim.
derekeire is offline  
15-08-2012, 13:00   #5
Clinical Dental tech
Registered User
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 26
You can use the med2 form to put the dental work down as an expense but there is no VAT on dental treatment
Clinical Dental tech is offline  
15-08-2012, 22:30   #6
Mr. Incognito
Registered User
Mr. Incognito's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: My Imagination
Posts: 7,412
Send a message via Skype™ to Mr. Incognito
People seem to be confusing Income tax VAT and business expenses.

There is no VAT on dental treatment (or any medical treatment)

You can claim non reimbursed dental expenses subject to the above post as to what you can claim for
Mr. Incognito is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Remove Text Formatting

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Share Tweet