Which Airline To Thailand? - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

08-08-2012, 09:37   #1
ozzy jr

Which Airline To Thailand?

Going to Thailand next month from Dublin. Undecided as to which airline to take. Any suggestions?

China Air via Amsterdam is approx €650

Ethihad via Abu Dhabi is approx €750

Emirates via Dubai is approx €750

Journey times are all around the same, 15-17 hours. The Dubai - Bangkok leg and return are on the new a380 which I've never flown on.
Advertisement
08-08-2012, 10:51   #2
cocoshovel
Closed Account

What dates?
Return flight?

there are many many other airlines you can fly with. From what Ive seen the dubai route usually has a very long stop over. Try KLM, SAS, British Airways, and others.

Ebookers.ie might be an option too.
08-08-2012, 10:53   #3
Naid23

I've flown with Emirates to Bangkok 2 years ago and they are really good.
They are expensive enough but I would rather pay the extra 100e to fly with them over China airlines.
08-08-2012, 12:54   #4
schemingbohemia

China Air don't have a great rep for comfort/quality and you'll have 1 short leg followed by a long leg but Amsterdam is a nicer airport to transfer through.

I flew with Etihad to India last year and Oz the year before, I found them really good, great entertainment system - loads of films etc the two equal length flights I liked also. Not a great airport to spend very long in but each time I only had a 2 hour wait so not long to hang around.

Haven't flown Emirates but they're supposed to be very good.
08-08-2012, 13:21   #5
Degsy
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Degsy
Ethihad via Abu Dhabi and Mumbai later this year..two lay-overs of a few hours each..suits me i can get some grub!
Advertisement
08-08-2012, 13:41   #6
ozzy jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoshovel View Post
What dates?
Return flight?

there are many many other airlines you can fly with. From what Ive seen the dubai route usually has a very long stop over. Try KLM, SAS, British Airways, and others.

Ebookers.ie might be an option too.
I've done all the research, the 3 listed are the best options.

I'm leaning towards paying the extra for the middle east route, for the similar flight journeys instead of the long flight from Amsterdam.
08-08-2012, 14:03   #7
bazingaboom
Closed Account

Im the sort of person who will always go for the cheapest airline no matter what esp if tehre is 100 euro difference . At then end of the day its only a couple of hours and the travel done in Asia will not be very comfortable.

But if you are the sort of person who likes entertainment on a flight dont go with China airlines, Iv flown return with them to bangkok twice and there is no tv on the seats only one smallish screen at the top of the cabin so unless you fall asleep easy this will be a long boring flight.
However its been a year since iv flown and I know they are upgrading their route so it might be worth checking what aircraft they fly on this route now.
Thanks from:
08-08-2012, 14:22   #8
Naid23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy jr View Post
I've done all the research, the 3 listed are the best options.

I'm leaning towards paying the extra for the middle east route, for the similar flight journeys instead of the long flight from Amsterdam.

With emirates flight times I think it breaks it up better so doesnt seem as long. 7 hours to Dubai and then 5-6 to Bangkok. When i flew to Thailand I had a 2 hour stopover and it was enough time to get food and that. As far as I know, ethiad fly to Abu Dhabi for there connection so think thats longer.
08-08-2012, 14:56   #9
bazingaboom
Closed Account

Also would you not arrive more tired if you had to do two 6 hour flights as oppose to one 12 hour flight as your not going to get any proper sleep this way.

I used to get a good 9 hours on the flight with china airlines which arrives in Bangkok at 6.30am so I would then be able to stay awake all day and sleep properly that night and neither time did I get jet lag.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
08-08-2012, 16:01   #10
Stinicker

Beware when searching through Skyscanner, many of their cheapest flights are with a company called BudgetAir, they have a terrible reputation and it is better to either book direct with the airline or a trustworthy intermediary like ebookers, lastminute, expedia etc.

http://www.trustpilot.co.uk/review/budgetair.co.uk
Thanks from:
08-08-2012, 18:36   #11
ozzy jr

I'm not one to sleep on a plane. I had a full row to myself on a flight from Brisbane to Singapore a couple of years ago and still couldn't get a snooze in!

I usually search with Skyscanner but always book my flights direct with the airline.
08-08-2012, 20:31   #12
Tipperary animal lover

Etihad all the way, I think better than emirates, if you can't book your seat online ring them up and they'll sort it straight away, air china(we went to bangkok with them)where terrible the service was a joke, emirates( we went to mumbai and singapore with them) good to fly with but Etihad( Mumbai and kuala lumpur and Bangkok with them) were the best airline we travelled with even better than Singapore airlines(and that was non stop)
If your on a380 try and get the seats up stairs there 2seats together in row.

Last edited by Tipperary animal lover; 08-08-2012 at 20:33.
08-08-2012, 21:24   #13
bazingaboom
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipperary animal lover View Post
Etihad all the way, I think better than emirates, if you can't book your seat online ring them up and they'll sort it straight away, air china(we went to bangkok with them)where terrible the service was a joke, emirates( we went to mumbai and singapore with them) good to fly with but Etihad( Mumbai and kuala lumpur and Bangkok with them) were the best airline we travelled with even better than Singapore airlines(and that was non stop)
If your on a380 try and get the seats up stairs there 2seats together in row.
China airlines and air china are two different airlines
08-08-2012, 21:39   #14
Tipperary animal lover

Sorry china air....
10-08-2012, 13:25   #15
ebbsy

China airlines for me. Been with them many times and never let down.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion