Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-07-2012, 17:46   #1
Simon.d

Poor man's LIDAR ?

I've been experimenting with using aerial photography (from camera laden RC-Plane) as an archaeological surveying tool to capture 3D surface topgraphy.. Photogrammetry is a relatively new computational technique that discerns the three dimensional character of a target from a series of photos taken from slightly differing (and overlapping) perspectives. The posted picture is of a model I've created using this technique of the earthwork remains of a 17th century star fort in Duagh, Waterford (Can make it out from this Bing Satelite Image: http://binged.it/M5wsYj). Any thoughts?

Last edited by Simon.d; 30-07-2012 at 17:50.
(5) thanks from:
Advertisement
30-07-2012, 23:58   #2
slowburner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon.d View Post
I've been experimenting with using aerial photography (from camera laden RC-Plane) as an archaeological surveying tool to capture 3D surface topgraphy.. Photogrammetry is a relatively new computational technique that discerns the three dimensional character of a target from a series of photos taken from slightly differing (and overlapping) perspectives. The posted picture is of a model I've created using this technique of the earthwork remains of a 17th century star fort in Duagh, Waterford (Can make it out from this Bing Satelite Image: http://binged.it/M5wsYj). Any thoughts?
Fascinating.
Can an image be rotated in all directions?
If so, I could see this as a powerful tool, and not just for archaeological applications.
Landscape archaeology is nothing more than refinement of the capacity for discerning topographical patterns.
Any method which aids this capacity has to be good for archaeology.
Without doubt, such a technique could reveal previously unnoticed earthworks, especially when employed at a macro level.

I can certainly think of quite a few places where I would dearly love to see your rc plane frightening the birds
If you're interested, drop me a pm to discuss.

Is the aspect in your photogrammetric image (sp.?) the same as the Bing image, by the way?
Thanks from:
31-07-2012, 09:20   #3
robp

Quote:

Very nice result. I surveyed that site for my undergraduate and wow it was a lot less visible using our basic surveying approach.
Thanks from:
31-07-2012, 14:09   #4
Simon.d

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowburner View Post
Fascinating.
Can an image be rotated in all directions?
If so, I could see this as a powerful tool, and not just for archaeological applications.
It's a 3d model, that can be spun round in all directions... Here's another output from it:

Quote:
Is the aspect in your photogrammetric image (sp.?) the same as the Bing image, by the way?
The aspect I posted of the model is from a North West point of view. You can see the depression of the stream (partially cut off) in the model going along the north & west edges of the site, which should help you line it up with the Bing satelite perspective....
(4) thanks from:
31-07-2012, 22:23   #5
dr gonzo

Very interesting and very well done! You might be interested to know that remote control planes and the like are actually being used in archaeology at present to a smallish degree. I believe ROV's are being used to great effect in the Vale of Pickering in Yorkshire at present, although I havent seen the results.

That is not to take away from what youre carrying out yourself of course. Keep up the excellent work and throw stuff up here when you can, I'm sure I'm not alone is wanting to see more of what youre coming up with.
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
05-08-2012, 13:18   #6
Briskit

Interesting work there Simon.d

It's amazing what the individual can get around to doing in this day and age without needing €millions on equipment. I'm sure you've invested plenty in your RC plane and the technology you're using, but it is still very impressive to see you end result like that... especially how you can rotate it around and view if from all angles.

The RC aspect also gives the individual that extra capactity to get to places where a hiker might not be able to go... Very good of you to have highlighted this method your using as its always nice to learn something new.
Thanks from:
05-08-2012, 13:51   #7
slowburner

Incredible imagery.
Thanks from:
07-08-2012, 08:31   #8
slowburner

Bit of an aside, but I wonder what the ridges are in this area?

Image above is from here in the original image

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (501.1 KB, 420 views)
File Type: jpg 08.15.04.jpg (76.4 KB, 413 views)
07-08-2012, 08:45   #9
Simon.d

Quote:
Bit of an aside, but I wonder what the ridges are in this area?

I think this is them: https://maps.google.ie/maps/myplaces...z=-60&t=h&z=15 .. Mushroom Farm?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
07-08-2012, 09:04   #10
slowburner

I'd guess you're spot on there.

It's interesting to note how the topographical feature eastward of the mushroom farm, is not visible in the Google image.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 08.50.32.jpg (79.1 KB, 410 views)
File Type: png 08.53.35.png (26.0 KB, 409 views)
07-08-2012, 15:35   #11
Briskit

Quote:

Imagine if google maps had a LIDAR layer..

...A Really Nice preview of the future there... I hope... you did a very nice job of accurately overlaying the two shots...

Is there anyway of creating an animated gif like the one you just did, but where the laser image would only be seen if you held the cursor over the image? so that you could interchange the picture at the rate you want it??

Thanks for the cake by the way, it's always just a thing with me with always trying to eat some of it!!
Thanks from:
07-08-2012, 15:56   #12
Simon.d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briskit View Post
Is there anyway of creating an animated gif like the one you just did, but where the laser image would only be seen if you held the cursor over the image? so that you could interchange the picture at the rate you want it??
I don't think it can be done with a gif, but you can you can use arrow keys to alternate them here: http://imgur.com/a/cDl4j#1
Thanks from:
07-08-2012, 16:36   #13
Briskit

Quote:
I don't think it can be done with a gif, but you can you can use arrow keys to alternate them here: http://imgur.com/a/cDl4j#1
Super... absolutely spot on... just tried this here and its the bees knees... exactly what I wanted...

Also, you're introducing me to a new 'photobucket' type site in imgur. Many Thanks. Love finding out new things and also good websites.

Funny... you come to the Archaeological forum and you end up talking about the future & google earth etc., and getting more abreast of technological updates... Cool paradox
(2) thanks from:
07-08-2012, 20:15   #14
slowburner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briskit View Post
Super... absolutely spot on... just tried this here and its the bees knees... exactly what I wanted...

Also, you're introducing me to a new 'photobucket' type site in imgur. Many Thanks. Love finding out new things and also good websites.

Funny... you come to the Archaeological forum and you end up talking about the future & google earth etc., and getting more abreast of technological updates... Cool paradox
Well if the technical wizardry here is anything to go by...who says archaeology is all dirt and sweat.

Thinking even further into the future, I suspect a time will come when excavation will be looked back on with horror.
Without doubt a technology will be developed which will give as much (if not more) information about a site, and without any form of destruction.
I heard recently of a geo-physics technology which can detect the existence of buried human remains up to two hundred years old.
It's something to do with the conductivity of the soil in the immediate area being altered by the decomposition of electrolytes in the corpse.

I often wonder to what extent archaeology is the developer of such technologies, rather than the borrower.
Thanks from:
07-08-2012, 20:19   #15
slowburner

Quote:
Here's an attempt to clarify what's what:

There's a faint indication on the LIDAR of a large circular enclosure (about 100m in diameter) evident around this mound to the north of the soccer pitch https://maps.google.ie/maps/myplaces...z=-60&t=h&z=19

Imagine if google maps had a LIDAR layer..
That's the one I was referring to above.

Thanks for the gif but it should probably come with a health warning - you know, like when they warn about flash photography before a tv clip.

Thank heavens Google doesn't have access to Lidar...yet, I'd never get away from the screen.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion