Pink 'Ladies' GAA Jerseys-Why? - Page 5 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Poll: Would you wear a Pink County Jersey?
Poll Options
Would you wear a Pink County Jersey?

30-07-2012, 13:54   #61
Honey-ec
Closed Account

I love pink and wear a lot of it, but I'm a massive Leinster fan and when I'm at a match, I wear blue and nothing else. Canterbury do have a range of pink Leinster gear, but I really, really don't see the point in it. Why support a team and then wear a colour that's not part of any of their strips?
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
31-07-2012, 21:40   #62
panda100

Just looking back at my last point. I think the word 'vain' was a bit harsh, and I aplogise If I caused offence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel girl 15 View Post
Given that its ladies GAA jersies, I'm going to jump right in, given where I stand with GAA. I don't see it as a slight on females sport at all, given that these jersies are targeted at female supporters of the males representing the counties. All the jersies are pink version of the male jersies. Some women are conscious of how they look, and would prefer to wear pink. I've seen a lot of younger girls wearing these jersies around the place.
You see this is where I have a bit of an issue with these tops. Women are evidently wearing them to look good, which is fair enough. I ,like you, have seen a lot of young girls wearing these tops, and personally I think that sends out the wrong message to young kids. When it comes to sport it shouldn't matter what women or girls look like. .
There is a lot of talk about women being put off sport because they are worried about their appearance (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-18747137 ) I think the pink tops really just buys into this whole notion of women placing their apperance over their participation and inclusion in sport.

Quote:
Your quote about how you love the GAA because women players are treated with respect baffles me - can I ask what county you are referring to or is it in general? I'm involved with ladies football for the past ten years at this stage, and in the administration side of things for about 4/5 years, and I can tell you that its not the case from what I can see, and the disrespect is coming from within the GAA. The one club model that the GAA are promoting won't make any difference to the grass roots members - trying to get pitches for training and games, ladies clubs having to pay the mens club for the use of facilities, mens teams taking precedence over ladies teams no matter what. This has been my experience in general, but there are a number of clubs where the person in the ladies football club is also involved in the mens, which makes things easier

If the GAA respected the ladies organisation, then why do the Ladies Gaelic Football Association have to pay to use Croke Park on All Ireland final day??? I'd take more issue in all counties, male and female not supporting the ladies teams in general than O Neills releasing a pink jersey for supporters to wear. I was at a Munster final, if there was more than 600 at it, I'd be surprised - a provincial final that had senior and intermediate teams playing. It just so happened that Waterford were in the intermediate, and the senior hurlers were playing the following day, Cork hurlers were playing that evening in Thurles I think. In fact, I met a number of supporters who if they did not have a bus booked to the ladies game, would have gone to the hurling.
Well that is just terrible. I was completely unaware that the Ladies GFA have to pay to use Croke Park on Final day!It is a disgrace, would there be a possibility of launching a campaign around that?

Was at Thurles on Sunday, and every second women seemed to be wearing these pink tops. It doesn't matter if they have the county crest on, you still can't see what county they're supporting until your right up close to them. Just defeats the point of wearing a county top.
01-08-2012, 00:52   #63
ceegee

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda100 View Post
Just looking back at my last point. I think the word 'vain' was a bit harsh, and I aplogise If I caused offence.

Quote:
Given that its ladies GAA jersies, I'm going to jump right in, given where I stand with GAA. I don't see it as a slight on females sport at all, given that these jersies are targeted at female supporters of the males representing the counties. All the jersies are pink version of the male jersies. Some women are conscious of how they look, and would prefer to wear pink. I've seen a lot of younger girls wearing these jersies around the place.
You see this is where I have a bit of an issue with these tops. Women are evidently wearing them to look good, which is fair enough. I ,like you, have seen a lot of young girls wearing these tops, and personally I think that sends out the wrong message to young kids. When it comes to sport it shouldn't matter what women or girls look like. .
There is a lot of talk about women being put off sport because they are worried about their appearance (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-18747137 ) I think the pink tops really just buys into this whole notion of women placing their apperance over their participation and inclusion in sport.

Quote:
Your quote about how you love the GAA because women players are treated with respect baffles me - can I ask what county you are referring to or is it in general? I'm involved with ladies football for the past ten years at this stage, and in the administration side of things for about 4/5 years, and I can tell you that its not the case from what I can see, and the disrespect is coming from within the GAA. The one club model that the GAA are promoting won't make any difference to the grass roots members - trying to get pitches for training and games, ladies clubs having to pay the mens club for the use of facilities, mens teams taking precedence over ladies teams no matter what. This has been my experience in general, but there are a number of clubs where the person in the ladies football club is also involved in the mens, which makes things easier

If the GAA respected the ladies organisation, then why do the Ladies Gaelic Football Association have to pay to use Croke Park on All Ireland final day??? I'd take more issue in all counties, male and female not supporting the ladies teams in general than O Neills releasing a pink jersey for supporters to wear. I was at a Munster final, if there was more than 600 at it, I'd be surprised - a provincial final that had senior and intermediate teams playing. It just so happened that Waterford were in the intermediate, and the senior hurlers were playing the following day, Cork hurlers were playing that evening in Thurles I think. In fact, I met a number of supporters who if they did not have a bus booked to the ladies game, would have gone to the hurling.
Well that is just terrible. I was completely unaware that the Ladies GFA have to pay to use Croke Park on Final day!It is a disgrace, would there be a possibility of launching a campaign around that?

Was at Thurles on Sunday, and every second women seemed to be wearing these pink tops. It doesn't matter if they have the county crest on, you still can't see what county they're supporting until your right up close to them. Just defeats the point of wearing a county top.
Why shouldn't the GAA charge for the use of Croke Park by another association?
01-08-2012, 00:55   #64
ceegee

Quote:
Originally Posted by deise_girl View Post
Saw an ad in the paper for the Waterford pink jersies and for every sale a contribution is going to Breast cancer research. Altho its Azzuri who make our jersies id assume O Neills are doing the same?
Pretty sure the ONeills ones aren't, no mention on the site or ribbon logo on the shirts
09-08-2012, 21:21   #65
panda100

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceegee View Post
Why shouldn't the GAA charge for the use of Croke Park by another association?
Why isn't the LGFA apart of the GAA?

I know the LGFA is a seperate entity to the GAA,but still you'd think the GAA would allow the use of Croke Park free of charge for the Ladies final.
Advertisement
10-08-2012, 00:29   #66
tan11ie
Closed Account

I'll be sticking to my blue
10-08-2012, 00:40   #67
deise_girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceegee View Post
Pretty sure the ONeills ones aren't, no mention on the site or ribbon logo on the shirts
Strange one that, would have thought they'd want to do the same as Azzuri. Athough I think its the bare minimum contribution that theyre making..
10-08-2012, 20:14   #68
goose2005

Quote:
I know the LGFA is a seperate entity to the GAA,but still you'd think the GAA would allow the use of Croke Park free of charge for the Ladies final.
I'd imagine it's because the crowd isn't large enough for the GAA to break even (Croke Park needs well over 30,000 to cover costs) so they're trying to share the losses.
11-08-2012, 09:50   #69
IrishAm

I purchased the pink Dublin jersey as I was under the impression the proceeds went to Breast Cancer Ireland.

I paid 60euro for it, its comfortable, ok its pink, but I don't really care. It is comfortable.

I wear it on occasion. Wouldn't wear it on the Hill, but would wear it when going for a jog,a swim, or when getting the groceries in.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
11-08-2012, 15:45   #70
Chimpokomon
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishAm View Post
I purchased the pink Dublin jersey as I was under the impression the proceeds went to Breast Cancer Ireland.

I paid 60euro for it, its comfortable, ok its pink, but I don't really care. It is comfortable.

I wear it on occasion. Wouldn't wear it on the Hill, but would wear it when going for a jog,a swim, or when getting the groceries in.
Fair play to you, I haven't seen many blokes wearing them yet but I'd say it could catch on.

I actually didn't know they existed before this thread, thanks OP
11-08-2012, 15:51   #71
IrishAm

A few young Dubs had them on in the Hill for the Me*th and Laois games. Brave buachails.
11-08-2012, 16:01   #72
Oryx
Soloist

Send a message via MSN to Oryx
Men can wear pink too.

Maybe all these people are supporting Wexford Youths.
12-08-2012, 02:30   #73
Ellsbells
Closed Account

I would never put a gaa jersey on my back. I think they are ridiculous looking enough on men and doubly so on women. Can't figure why any guy would think it's cool to wear a gaa jersey out for the night / on holidays / in Australia or basically anywhere other than on a pitch.
Thanks from:
12-08-2012, 09:59   #74
panda100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellsbells View Post
I would never put a gaa jersey on my back. I think they are ridiculous looking enough on men and doubly so on women. Can't figure why any guy would think it's cool to wear a gaa jersey out for the night / on holidays / in Australia or basically anywhere other than on a pitch.
I guess it a litte reminder of home when you're away in a foreign country. It's also very handy for spotting the other Irish people when you're abroad.

I find my Limerick GAA top very uncomfortbale to wear. It get's very sweaty , and I would never ever use it for exercising in. The fabric clings to you, and in a sweaty, clammy horrible way. I am suprised that people are buying these pink tops for 'comfort', as for me GAA tops are anything but comfortable!
Thanks from:
12-08-2012, 16:17   #75
Ah_Yeah

I don't own any GAA jerseys, simply because the Limerick jersey is just unflattering on me.

If I were to buy/wear GAA jerseys, I'd be wearing my county colours, because it's the colours that I've always grown up using to distinguish between counties. It's hard to zone in on a crest on someone's jersey, you can spot the county a mile away when wearing county colours.

I also hate pink, and it looks terrible on me 'cause I've bright red hair

However, I have no problem with people wearing these jerseys, male or female. So what if they want to wear them? Isn't it their support for their team that counts? I just personally wouldn't wear them myself.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion