Keep Calm And Discuss Retro Generally! - Page 370 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

08-01-2013, 13:46   #5536
Retr0gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1s1n View Post
Anyone else here from the generation who were adults when Pokemon came out, saw it as a kids fad and now find it all very odd to see adults talking about Pokemon?
When Pokemon became big I was way too old for it being 16-17 at the time. However I still loved it. I used to finish school, walk home and watch pokemon before doing homework since it was the only thing on TV and you know what, it's a pretty excellent TV series. It also helps as well that the games have been superb.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
08-01-2013, 13:48   #5537
OwaynOTT

F*ck you attic!
08-01-2013, 14:07   #5538
o1s1n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retr0gamer View Post
When Pokemon became big I was way too old for it being 16-17 at the time. However I still loved it. I used to finish school, walk home and watch pokemon before doing homework since it was the only thing on TV and you know what, it's a pretty excellent TV series. It also helps as well that the games have been superb.
I was actually quite excited about Pokemon first airing as I was really big into Manga Entertainment VHS releases at the time. Knew nothing about it other than that it was a Japanese animated show being shown on TV.

The only other Japanese stuff I'd even seen broadcast was late night on Channel 4. So I rather naively had visions of something akin to Akira/Patlabor/AD Police etc. Sat down to watch the first episode and then realized it was a kids show
08-01-2013, 14:12   #5539
Retr0gamer

The first episode is pretty naff, I always hated it. The second episode is when it gets great with Misty going nuts at Ash for wrecking her bike.

Also if you didn't have a tear in your eye during that Butterfree episode then you are an inhuman monster.
(2) thanks from:
08-01-2013, 14:18   #5540
johnny_ultimate
Production Model EVA-02

Was the perfect age when for Pokemon's initial run - Red / Blue came out around my last year of primary school so it was a 'thing' so to speak in the schoolyard. Link cables all over the gaff.

I played Trading Card Game on GBC and Gold (both imports, which was particularly exciting at the time) but secondary school did not have an active Pokemon community, and thus I grew out of it fairly promptly. Have always been meaning to try one of the more recent titles, but they all seemed to have followed the same basic template. Might give this X / Y a go if its a significant upgrade, but then I said that about B&W too and that never happened.

Also, I got unreasonably annoyed when I heard there was a Pokemon called Vanillite who was a ****ing ice-cream cone. Seriously Gamefreak?! 1st Generation Pokemon FTW.

(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
08-01-2013, 14:40   #5541
the groutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1s1n View Post
Anyone else here from the generation who were adults when Pokemon came out, saw it as a kids fad and now find it all very odd to see adults talking about Pokemon?
maybe they were watching this one?

(3) thanks from:
08-01-2013, 14:51   #5542
CiDeRmAn

It came way too late for me, I had watched Robotech/Marcross some years before so Pokemon just looked like another fad, like TMNT or the like.
So while Pokemon emerged in was watching the new generation of Warner Bros toons, from Tiny Toons, Animaniacs and Pinky and the Brain to Batman animated.
I know those toons were nominally kids shows but they were so creative it was compelling viewing for someone on their twenties like I had been.
Earthworm Jim was also doing the rounds at the time... Groovy!
(2) thanks from:
08-01-2013, 15:10   #5543
Atavan-Halen
He Touched My Breast!!

Definitely looking forward to this new pokemon game! The battles look very pokemon stadium-esque and with a lower camera angle gives it the look of a proper 3d game. There also seems to be a small element of a platformer looking at the trailer which is a bit random, but not surprising due to previous gym puzzles.

This definitely will be a new generation and a new feel to the series. Can't wait to try it!
Thanks from:
08-01-2013, 15:12   #5544
The Last Bandit

Ever understood that whole Pokemon stuff at all.
Advertisement
08-01-2013, 15:25   #5545
deathrider

I was fairly late to the poképarty, to say the least. The first one I played was Diamond in 2008, and at that stage I was about 25. Didn't take me long to become hooked on it. I played the hll out of it, and for some reason or other I put it away a few months later. I finally rediscovered it last febuary, wiped my old 70(ish) hour file, and restarted it again. Since then, I've become a huge fan of the series since. Certainly not a kid's fad in my eyes, just good fun, simple gaming.
08-01-2013, 15:25   #5546
Atavan-Halen
He Touched My Breast!!

I think anyone who hasn't played pokemon since the gameboy era or at all owes it to themselves to play one of the modern games.

The great thing about them is that they can be played casually or you can play it "hardcore" for lack of a better word. There's a lot more depth than people think. Not only do you have type advantages or disadvantages but individual stats that change depending on with pokemon you defeat, natures which give certain stat boosts, abilities and hidden abilities, items, egg moves, ev's, iv's, breeding for certain stats and so much more!
Thanks from:
08-01-2013, 15:32   #5547
Myrddin
Category Moderator

The Cinemassacre & JamesNintendoNerd youtube accounts seem to have been terminated...
08-01-2013, 15:32   #5548
deathrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by atavan-halen View Post
I think anyone who hasn't played pokemon since the gameboy era or at all owes it to themselves to play one of the modern games.
People who haven't played since the first generation seem to have a bit of a stick up their arse about the fact that the games kept going on without them. Anywhere you go where Pokémon is being discussed, there's always someone bellowing on about how the games have been ruined when they started adding extra pokémon into it, and how he/she poted out at that stage. I never really understood this mentality myself. Pokémon games are really games of discovery. Seeing all the new types and evolutions that appear in each game always makes the game feel like a journey. If I was catching nothing other than the original 150 (or was it 151?) game after game, I'd find the franchise astonishingly boring.
Thanks from:
08-01-2013, 16:12   #5549
Retr0gamer

Even more annoying are people that denounce the series as being a kids game. It's one of the deepest RPGs available today and has a fantastic battle system. Even the writing is really good, there's usually a fair few giggles to be had and you can tell Nintendo Treehouse had a blast translating it.
(2) thanks from:
08-01-2013, 16:47   #5550
OwaynOTT

I've only ever played Pokemon yellow and that was only recently but I sunk a ridiculous amount of hours into it. If Pokemon is a opioids game then so is Mario and most of the other nintendo games. There's a nice bit if strategy to it and at times it can be very humorous.
I haven't tried any of the newer ones only because I thought they would be more of he same. Any I particular that I should try?
Pokemon conquest looks to be a bit different, worth a try?

A bunch of my games and stuff have for destroyed being in an attic for a few weeks. All the lovely cardboard nintendo games squashed because a relative throw a box of books on it!
Haven't went through it yet but I hope noting too expensive is ruined!
Thanks from:
Thread Closed