Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Updated look for the site (part2)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Sorry I should have also included them :)

Internet Explorer 8
    Windows XP SP3

Should also have mentioned that it's same if i'm logged out.
    I was using it yesterday (it's a work pc) and it displayed as normal.

::EDIT::

I have also tested it using google chrome with the same results, looks like it maybe OS issue??

Also added another screen - the search bar has weird white box around it, like its not fitting in its place (IE and Chrome).

Any update on this? It was working fine on my home PC (Win 7, Chrome) but still looks very weird on my work PC. It's strange how it works fine on other machines but has suddenly gone tits up on this machine though I can only think its due to XP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Paddy

Any update on this? It was working fine on my home PC (Win 7, Chrome) but still looks very weird on my work PC. It's strange how it works fine on other machines but has suddenly gone tits up on this machine though I can only think its due to XP.

Haven't been able to reproduce this problem at all. We have tested on XP and the site should work fine. I'm inclined to think there is something very strange going on with your machine. The fact that it is rendering all the fonts as what looks to be Times New Roman is a sign that something is probably not right on your end.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,042 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Where has the Prison forum gone? Not showing in the Sys drop down.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭28064212

looksee wrote: »
    Still showing for me. Are you banned from it?!

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    Still showing for me. Are you banned from it?!

No! And if I go back to old view it is there.

Edit: and I have just realised that there are 18 items in the old list and only 14 in the new one (not including subforums) Have some of them been combined?

• Advertisement

Sea Filly wrote: »
    Oh no, I mean, how do you search for who has quoted you in their post? Not who has thanked your post. Thanks!

If you go to your user profile page (click your username in the top bar) and click on the statistics tab you should see a new link there that says:

"Find all posts that quote {username}"

This should do what you're looking for.

Thanks for bringing that to our attention.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

No! And if I go back to old view it is there.

Edit: and I have just realised that there are 18 items in the old list and only 14 in the new one (not including subforums) Have some of them been combined?

18 are showing up for me.

214355.JPG

picture.php?albumid=2195&pictureid=13474

picture.php?albumid=2195&pictureid=13473

These are the results I am getting. I am on IE and Google Chrome, Windows XP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

It's not showing up on my firefox either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I haven't read the whole thread (as I am a terrible person) but was curious to know if it's reported that for a mobile user the menu bar across the top doesn't work.

It gets stuck showing 'Arts - Biz - Edu' and there is seemingly no way of moving it across.

I have also had significant problems with the 'advanced search' (same as other above) to the point where it's unusable.

• Advertisement

The Cush wrote: »
    Same problem as Posy above, in Advanced Search I haven't been able to do a search by user for the last few days.

In the test below when I select user it places the users name at the RH side of the box with an "x" after the name, clicking on search enters "undefined" in the box and returns all results and not the results by user.

Thanks for bringing that to our attention. The problem should be resolved now.

Morlar wrote: »
    I haven't read the whole thread (as I am a terrible person) but was curious to know if it's reported that for a mobile user the menu bar across the top doesn't work.

It gets stuck showing 'Arts - Biz - Edu' and there is seemingly no way of moving it across.

I have also had significant problems with the 'advanced search' (same as other above) to the point where it's unusable.

As posted above the advanced search problems are fixed.

We are aware that there are quite a few issues with the new skin on mobile devices. The new skin was not designed with mobile in mind since we have a touch site that is designed specifically for mobile devices.

However given the number of users that are apparently using the main site from mobile devices this is something we're going to revisit over the next week or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

We are aware that there are quite a few issues with the new skin on mobile devices. The new skin was not designed with mobile in mind since we have a touch site that is designed specifically for mobile devices.

However given the number of users that are apparently using the main site from mobile devices this is something we're going to revisit over the next week or two.

Speaking for myself I never use mobile apps for forums or mobile /scaled down versions of websites.

You are correct on the search function - it now seems to work for the first time in I don't know how long. Thanks.

Haven't been able to reproduce this problem at all. We have tested on XP and the site should work fine. I'm inclined to think there is something very strange going on with your machine. The fact that it is rendering all the fonts as what looks to be Times New Roman is a sign that something is probably not right on your end.

Thanks for looking into it. I'll just have to go back to using the old skin while I'm using work pc which is a pity as I quite like the new skin especially the notification bar.

Is there any quick link to switch skins (bar the OP)? I know you easily switch back to old skin via the top right link but anyway to switch other way.

::EDIT:: Just noticed that on the login page everything appears as it should, it's only after logging in that everything goes crazy.

Thanks for looking into it. I'll just have to go back to using the old skin while I'm using work pc which is a pity as I quite like the new skin especially the notification bar.

Is there any quick link to switch skins (bar the OP)? I know you easily switch back to old skin via the top right link but anyway to switch other way.

::EDIT:: Just noticed that on the login page everything appears as it should, it's only after logging in that everything goes crazy.

sending styleid=56 as a URL parameter will switch you to the new skin. So http://www.boards.ie/?styleid=56 is probably the quickest way. It's the way I use when I'm testing stuff.

Interesting that it only happens when logged in. Can I ask are you using any non-default appearance settings? (cosy mode, un-stuck header etc)

Agreed, I just spent some time looking for a link to the new skin, had to go through the control panel in the end.

Ah ha! My Forum tab (see post 309) now has one of those little circling spots things and 'loading...'. It isn't loading, but it is progress!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

If you go to your user profile page (click your username in the top bar) and click on the statistics tab you should see a new link there that says:

"Find all posts that quote {username}"

This should do what you're looking for.

Thanks for bringing that to our attention.

Yeah, just spotted that! :) Great stuff.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

May the blessings of a thousand camels be on your fleapits, or whatever that saying is!!

You'll notice a positive side-effect if you glance at the spammer report thread for the last couple of hours! ;)

Yay, my 'My forums' tab and the Sys menu are working fine! Did you shoot the gremlin or did it leave of its own accord?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Probably logged already, but there're some issues with tooltips:

214413.png214414.png

Was using Print Screen so it didn't capture the cursor, the first is the "Go" button, and the other is "Unfollow"

Tested on both Google Chrome and IE9 on Windows 7 64bit.

sending styleid=56 as a URL parameter will switch you to the new skin. So http://www.boards.ie/?styleid=56 is probably the quickest way. It's the way I use when I'm testing stuff.

Interesting that it only happens when logged in. Can I ask are you using any non-default appearance settings? (cosy mode, un-stuck header etc)

Thanks for the tip, I'll use that switch around.

I had all options selected in appearance settings though switching them off hasn't unfortunately changed the appearance.

Whats weird is that the login screen is the only screen that appears as normal. When logged out the main screen looks weird (same as when logged in) though switching to the login screen and everything returns to as it was before, then changes again after logging in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

That's not incredibly weird since the new login page doesn't have the vBulletin stylesheets since it's running off a different platform. It narrows down where to look for trying to reproduce the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

My notifications are stuck on 2.
    It is for followed threads. I have gone through all my subs and all are read.

It happened when I wasn't logged in and read the threads after seeing an email about them and then when I logged in the threads had a normal title (read heading) instead of the bold title (unread title). After I went into the threads and read them again the notifications never went away.

Any ideas?

dev110 wrote: »
    My notifications are stuck on 2.
    It is for followed threads. I have gone through all my subs and all are read.

It happened when I wasn't logged in and read the threads after seeing an email about them and then when I logged in the threads had a normal title (read heading) instead of the bold title (unread title). After I went into the threads and read them again the notifications never went away.

Any ideas?
    +------------+---------------------+---------------------+
    | threadid   | last_post           | last_read           |
    | 2056708252 | 2012-07-23 12:57:09 | 2012-07-23 11:07:54 |
    | 2056107318 | 2012-07-23 14:01:24 | 2012-07-20 10:28:12 |
    2 rows in set (0.01 sec)

You need to read these two threads:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056708252
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056107318

Please let me know if they do not show up in your list of followed threads, this may be a bug with vBulletin that needs fixing :)

Danny

| threadid   | last_post           | last_read           |
    | 2056708252 | 2012-07-23 12:57:09 | 2012-07-23 11:07:54 |
    | 2056107318 | 2012-07-23 14:01:24 | 2012-07-20 10:28:12 |
    2 rows in set (0.01 sec)

You need to read these two threads:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056708252
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056107318

Please let me know if they do not show up in your list of followed threads, this may be a bug with vBulletin that needs fixing :)

Danny

Still no joy.
    They are shown as read in my followed threads.

Still no joy.
    They are shown as read in my followed threads.

Thanks for trying that out for me, I believe it's led me to the issue. You use "Mark this forum read" a lot? As in, have you used it recently? :)

Danny

Ye I have used it recently.

I use it quite often so when new posts/threads go up in one of the sub forums I can see it when the 'notice board' beside the sub forums name turns from blue to red/orange and saves me routing routing through them.

Ye I have used it recently.

I use it quite often so when new posts/threads go up in one of the sub forums I can see it when the 'notice board' beside the sub forums name turns from blue to red/orange and saves me routing routing through them.

Yep, that'd be the issue then :) We'll get it sorted tomorrow for you and all the rest of the people with the issue - hopefully it'll be the last unread followed threads issue.

Danny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

The see who quoted your post option is brilliant - the person who designed that needs to be promoted.

Advertisement