Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-07-2012, 19:23   #1
anthonyos

vokera ehe

was at a vokera ehe condensing boiler today took of white casing switched it on fan ran but no aps or ignition ..then when i loosened the front casing with the gasket seal the aps clicked sparker started sparking burner lit ...any ideas anyone ...
Advertisement
09-07-2012, 20:29   #2
DGOBS

Remove and clean the venturi (until it sparkles) with some very fine sand paper or scotch cloth.

An inner flue pipe that has been corroded/punctured (usually happens at the terminal) may also
exhibit the same problem
Thanks from:
09-07-2012, 21:41   #3
anthonyos

so does that mean when i open up the casing im allowing combustion air in hence why it lights???im rgi by the way but my fault finding is generally gas valves fans etc basic stuff thanks
09-07-2012, 21:46   #4
shane0007
Closed Account

By opening the casing you have allowed extra air, enough to enable the correct amount of air to pass through the venturi, thus converting to negative pressure to activate the APS.

What DGOBS correctly suggested was either a venturi issue or a flue issue. A dirty venturi could lead to positive pressure being passed through it or a damaged flue affecting the venturi flow through.
09-07-2012, 21:51   #5
DGOBS

You taking 'duty' off the fan, allowing an inrush of air which is in turn allowing the aps to operate on the positive side only (venturi gives the negative)

Trust me, clean the venturi.

To be honest, and I am not having a go at you, but this is pretty basic stuff for a service technician, and you should know it. I spend way too much of my time arriving at calls where 'other guys' have had a go first and failed (but usually got their fee!!) and I am left to mop up and fix the boiler!

Go do a few manufacturers courses, spend time fixing the 'harder' breakdowns. learn the systems of ignition, and follow them.

I have no problem helping and giving out hard learned information to guys, but the excuse of 'only fault finding gas valves and boards and stuff' does not sit well with me for a professional who charges money for fixing/servicing boilers, how can you service something that you don't understand basic principles of operation?

Ah Shane, nice to know you were listening....lol
Advertisement
09-07-2012, 22:02   #6
anthonyos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGOBS View Post
You taking 'duty' off the fan, allowing an inrush of air which is in turn allowing the aps to operate on the positive side only (venturi gives the negative)

Trust me, clean the venturi.

To be honest, and I am not having a go at you, but this is pretty basic stuff for a service technician, and you should know it. I spend way too much of my time arriving at calls where 'other guys' have had a go first and failed (but usually got their fee!!) and I am left to mop up and fix the boiler!

Go do a few manufacturers courses, spend time fixing the 'harder' breakdowns. learn the systems of ignition, and follow them.

I have no problem helping and giving out hard learned information to guys, but the excuse of 'only fault finding gas valves and boards and stuff' does not sit well with me for a professional who charges money for fixing/servicing boilers, how can you service something that you don't understand basic principles of operation?

i agree 100% but i have to start somewhere must start doing the course...what iv learnt so far is self thought as and from an online repairs course from uk and reading posts from yourself and other posters ..hopefully i will be getting better as i learn more
09-07-2012, 22:08   #7
shane0007
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGOBS View Post
Would I ever not listen to you....

Hmmmm......
09-07-2012, 22:11   #8
DGOBS

Lol. Words like pumps and pressure gauges doing to mind!
09-07-2012, 22:15   #9
shane0007
Closed Account

Meeooowwww.... stop scratching with those claws!
Advertisement
09-07-2012, 22:25   #10
DGOBS

Think Fred is slowly turning me into a biatchhhh
09-07-2012, 22:30   #11
JohnnieK

Now,now ladies
09-07-2012, 22:30   #12
gary71
"A Gasman"

I find it sad that knowledge has to be begged, borrowed or stolen to produce gas engineers in this country instead of proper recognised training courses giving interested new entrants real qualifications, qualifcations which would put a bigger gulf between good/compatant RGIs and dangerios bastards.

Last month a Ex- BG RGI left the case loose and removed the seals around the combustion chamber to allow the APS to activate, what he didn't spot was the flue was blocked and his actions allowed carbon monoxide in to the property banker.

Well done anthonyos for seeking clarification, you are better than some seasoned RGI.
Thanks from:
09-07-2012, 22:40   #13
anthonyos

i dont think the gid is enough its kind of a do this and you are allowed service and repair without proper training.it should be more of an apprenticeship/work placement..trained in repairs your "licensed" for repairs trained in servicing licenced for services etc
09-07-2012, 22:44   #14
shane0007
Closed Account

The GID is not a fault finding course. It is a Gas INSTALLER Domestic course, dealing with installation requirements.

The Domestic Service Course (DSC) is Service and Fault finding course.
09-07-2012, 22:45   #15
gary71
"A Gasman"

Recently I had a heated argument with a site sparks who had a intolerance to common sence, I explained his bo bo in not giving the boilers a perminant live, he told me the red light loft heaters he fitted beside the boilers was more than enough, I have now officially given up.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion