Waterford City Council to vote on public drinking bye-laws - Page 2 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-07-2012, 22:22   #16
AdMMM

Send a message via MSN to AdMMM
Cans in the park will soon be a thing of the past :/
Advertisement
09-07-2012, 22:31   #17
TheGormog

Fair play to the City Council on this, long overdue. It's simply no longer acceptable to turn a blind eye to street drinking in the city centre when we're trying to establish ourselves as a genuine tourist destination. For a tourist visiting the city the sight (and indeed smell) of the seasoned street drinkers must be extremely unnerving to say the least. This is not to mention the shouting, fighting, abuse, urination, defecation, etc, etc.

Some of the scenes you'd witness in broad daylight would put the frighteners on Chuck Norris, nevermind your garden variety American tourist.
Thanks from:
09-07-2012, 23:12   #18
echosound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully View Post
How is one who drinks on the street part of a "vulnerable section of society"?!
I'm assuming they're probably thinking of the likes of pretty harmless winos and/or homeless having a few cans. Everyone seems to have a soft spot for the likes of Tawdy etc on this forum, people like that won't be able to continue to have a can or two sitting on the side of the road if this comes in.

Not much point fining someone who's not got much in the way of cash as it is, or who's address is a hostel or a doorway.That's the point they're making about vunerable sections of society, I would assume, rather than the "working class" or "students" or whatever.

On one hand, I can see the advantages to this - curb little pigeonchested scummers grabbing flagons and heading for greens/city centre whenever there's a bit of sunshine and acting the maggot, curb students causing disturbances in estates with parties spilling out onto the street, etc, but then again, it's a pity that a minority of idiots have to ruin things for the majority of normal well adjusted people who might simply like to have a cold beer or whatever sitting out having a bit of an aul' picnic or BBQ etc on a sunny Sunday or something.
Thanks from:
09-07-2012, 23:40   #19
jayboi

Quote:
criticised by the People Before Profit organisation.Their spokesman John Cloono
A 'Kiss of Death' to any opposition
Thanks from:
10-07-2012, 07:32   #20
THall04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully View Post
The bits about where you can and cant drink - is that in addition to the existing laws which ban you from drinking on the street?
Don't know about the existing laws.....a while back I was surprised to find out that there is no national legislation prohibiting drinking in public.....each local authority has to make it's own laws.....so I had a look on the City Councils site...couldn't find anything (found the Dublin City by-laws OK.....the new Waterford law looks like a copy of it).
Advertisement
10-07-2012, 07:52   #21
THall04

http://www.waterford-today.ie/waterf...ing-17053.html

In the 27th June edition of Waterford Today , People Before Profit suggested a way the city councillors could help street drinkers........

" A start can be made by providing accomondation where people who wish to consume alcohol can do so under regulated conditions"

I think thats called a PUB.........
10-07-2012, 09:36   #22
nkay1985

So long as they don't enforce it during Spraoi, I'm happy with it.
10-07-2012, 11:21   #23
spankmemunkey

Parents have alot to answer for when it comes to the current drink problems we have today,

Parents go to the pub regularly to consume alcohol and lets face it get drunk to some degree or another, kids see this when they get home, they also see parents drinking at home which is another no no, kids pick up on this and think its acceptable behaviour, pretty much in the same way as seing parents smoking, monkey see monkey do, how can you tell your kids not to drink when your sitting back of an evening drinking beer in front of them?
Parents these days give in to peer pressure and allow their kids drink before they are 18 i think cos other kids parents allow them to,

Ireland whole culture and society revolves around a drink culture.
10-07-2012, 13:48   #24
Psychedelic

Do ye think the Gardai will enforce this bye-law? Because if they don't it won't make any difference. I can't see them fining the likes of "My Town" and his scummy friends no matter how much they go drinking and abuse passers-by. These drunken bozos are constantly reported to the Gardai but they are in the city centre nearly every day of the week openly drinking and shouting abuse at people.

I don't think people should be worried about Gardai fining a couple sharing a bottle of wine at a picnic in the People's Park or anything like that.

Discretion is the key word here - hopefully the Gardai use it and just fine the scummy old tramps and young chavs.
Advertisement
10-07-2012, 14:49   #25
wellboytoo

I would like to think that this new law will enable the Gardaí to confiscate alcohol from offenders which would be enough of a fine for the winos etc and probably the underage kids on the park.the object it's to stop the rowdy behavior not to raise revenue.
12-07-2012, 11:31   #26
Potential-Monke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nypd View Post
The Kazbar smoking area would be a public area wouldn't it ?
It's a foot path I'm fairness.
They pay a certain amount to the city council to have that area cordoned off at certain times so that it's an extension to the premises, so while it's cordoned off it's property of the Kazbar. Same for coffee shops/restaurants that have seating outside, each table/chair has a set cost which has to be paid to the council. Well, that's the way it used to be when i was working in a restaurant, and it aint cheap!

As for this, it's a good thing, common sense would be used, and the ability to seize the alcohol would definitely deter some. Can't see any down side to it, and if the "vulnerable" want to drink, they should do so in the comfort of their own homes/gardens, not in the middle of a green/on someones wall.
(2) thanks from:
12-07-2012, 14:36   #27
Max Powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential-Monke View Post
As for this, it's a good thing, common sense would be used, and the ability to seize the alcohol would definitely deter some. Can't see any down side to it, and if the "vulnerable" want to drink, they should do so in the comfort of their own homes/gardens, not in the middle of a green/on someones wall.

Pity the gardai are only interested in seizing booze from kids; but they dont go near any of the older alcos shouting abuse at passers by, urinating on the street, intimidating people/tourists etc
Thanks from:
13-07-2012, 12:01   #28
Potential-Monke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Powers View Post
Pity the gardai are only interested in seizing booze from kids; but they dont go near any of the older alcos shouting abuse at passers by, urinating on the street, intimidating people/tourists etc
When they come across kids under 18 with alcohol, not one of them will admit to owning the closed drink as they would then be admitting guilt, so the alcohol is taken off them. With adults, only open drinks can currently be taken, so the closed drinks cannot. As for the male you're referring to (we all know who), he has been arrested on numerous occassions, but like a bad cold you can't get rid of him.

And if you're referring to the recent case in the media, i'm sure you understand that it's not a common occurrence, as most of the Gardai i know would not drink cans taken from scummers, regardless of the brand.
Thanks from:
13-07-2012, 22:40   #29
xperi

so now any good day we get this summer & we bring a picnic to the park with the familyi cant have 1 bottle of beer or face a fine, typical of this country clobber everyone to get at a few scumbags causing trouble, thats why i wont ever holiday in this horrible country , had to leave a hotel bar at 9pm because i got 2 daughters under 18 that were sitting quietly while were all having dinner & a quiet drink, girls were having a cokes lol. then where do we go at 9pm ?. idiots running this place, spain here we come next week, spend my money where our family are welcome
14-07-2012, 21:34   #30
spankmemunkey

I think the state of our drinking problems in Ireland no parents should drink in front of their kids! If you didnt want them to smoke you wouldnt smoke in front of them, You wouldnt do a line of coke in front of them!

Alcohol is a dangerous drug and Irish people have such a relaxed attitude towards it, I wouldnt drink alcohol in front of my kids, Parents have alot to answer for the current problem.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion