Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Instruments Forum Off-Topic Discussion

• 05-07-2012 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

By popular demand here is a thread for off-topic posts. If anyone has a catchier thread title then by all means share it :).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

As a suitably off-topic post here is a picture of my dog:

WP_000062.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Waiting for Musicmaker to get the OR15's from Orange, told the this week but no word, it's driving me crazy. Played the OR50 and was blown away, and the money's burning a hole in my pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

stetyrrell wrote: »
    Waiting for Musicmaker to get the OR15's from Orange, told the this week but no word, it's driving me crazy. Played the OR50 and was blown away, and the money's burning a hole in my pocket.

Ohhh, another Orange lover! I picked up the Thunder 30 last summer after a couple of months of agonaising over what amp to get. Haven't looked back since though! Great amp. It's a petty that Orange aren't as well known as Marshall in the amp world.

Marshall seem to have a really bad reputation though these days don't they? Or is it just down to a particular line of their amps?

Malice wrote: »
    Marshall seem to have a really bad reputation though these days don't they? Or is it just down to a particular line of their amps?

I think it's down to the fact that there's been feck all decent new releases in the last while. Brands like Orange and Blackstar etc are all bringing out innovative and really amazing new products, whereas Marshall have brought out really mediocre amps like the JMD series, MA series, Vintage Moderns. I've played them all and hated each one of them.

Big Orange fan though, just never had the cash to buy one! Almost went for the Thunder 30 but the OR15 has more of a vintage crunch tone that suited me better.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Speaking of Orange, at some stage I´m going to add one of the ´Terror´ series amps to my collection for jamming at home. They all look so good and now the Jim Root version just complicates matters.

Just spotted this, dunno how credible it is but it looks fairly awesome if true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

Anyone notice the price of American Fender Strats on Thomann? Up to €1259 for some of the Standards. Time in the past, they were €750 or less on GAK.co.uk
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/fender_am_standard_2012_strat_mn_3ts.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

thoman prices can be off at times, i wonder is it the supermarket strategy of duping you into thinking everything is cheaper?

nice dog malice, i'd like a dog :(

played third gig with newly formed covers band last friday and i got a serious dose of nerves onstage, nothing before, but once i started playing i was nervous as hell.

i knew the songs, played them only ok as i misfretted some notes as a result of the nerves

completely lost it at the end of "hard to handle" had a brain fart and forgot completely what i was doing and what notes to play:mad:

recovered for "sun goes down" by lizzy. have to get the better of these nerves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Just spotted this, dunno how credible it is but it looks fairly awesome if true.

In fairness, they really didn't do much to the pedal when you really look at the video. The weight of car under that tire is really not much more than the weight of a large man when you think about it. I've had my foot run over (and park on) and you would be surprised how minimal the discomfort is.

Throwing it up in the air once ...well...I guess it was nice to see that it survived the fall, but not that impressed.

• Advertisement

In fairness, they really didn't do much to the pedal when you really look at the video. The weight of car under that tire is really not much more than the weight of a large man when you think about it. I've had my foot run over (and park on) and you would be surprised how minimal the discomfort is.

Throwing it up in the air once ...well...I guess it was nice to see that it survived the fall, but not that impressed.

Still though, most pedals wouldn't handle that.

Still haven't heard anything back about the OR15's, seems to be the case that all the UK stores now have them in stock, must call and see did they forget about me, growing impatient.

Also, the euro really is doing absolutely ****e against the sterling lately. It's a pain in the ass because it means all the gear prices have sky rocketed upwards.

The first half of the video says alot.:)

The first half of the video says alot.:)

That was just the actual controller part of it, the 'brain' was actually removed from it, so you don't need the controller to play it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Anyone notice the price of American Fender Strats on Thomann? Up to €1259 for some of the Standards. Time in the past, they were €750 or less on GAK.co.uk
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/fender_am_standard_2012_strat_mn_3ts.htm

Every redesign that comes from a major manufacturer is just smoke and mirrors for a price increase.

And by changing minor details in the design of the guitar for the new release, they create seeds of doubt in the minds of players who have the previous model. Their guitar immediately becomes the old version, worth less than it was before and inferior because the trem block has 12% more zinc than before.

I got a new set of strings and a setup done on my Agile 8 string at the weekend. It's amazing how different a guitar feels with a different string gauge even when it's just going from .009 to .010.

Malice wrote: »
    I got a new set of strings and a setup done on my Agile 8 string at the weekend. It's amazing how different a guitar feels with a different string gauge even when it's just going from .009 to .010.
    8 strings dude! What is the full tuning?

Some people set it up so they end up with 3 E strings by playing in a dropped tuning so they end up with (high to low) E, B, G, D, A, E, B, E. While that is pretty cool, I prefer to keep mine just a half step down from normal tuning so I end up with D#, A#, F#, C#, B, D#, A#, F.

Got sniped on Ebay, there was a DSL50 and 1960A handwired cab 50th anniversary that a lad originally had up on adverts, went for 660 in the end, think I was out by a tenner or something.

Still waiting on this bloody OR15, thinking about just getting a used Thunder 30 instead now.

Got sniped on Ebay, there was a DSL50 and 1960A handwired cab 50th anniversary that a lad originally had up on adverts, went for 660 in the end, think I was out by a tenner or something.

Still waiting on this bloody OR15, thinking about just getting a used Thunder 30 instead now.

i'd love an Orange Rocker. Can't justify the bucks though.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I've got GAS...

And this is the reason:

Tbh, I always hated his version of that song, but damn he get's into a good groove there. So I want a blue start just 'cause!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭zafo

What's the difference between a handwired cab and a regular cab?

zafo wrote: »
    What's the difference between a handwired cab and a regular cab?

Not a clue. I guess better quality cabling, and it has a basket weave grill. But surely all cabs would be wired by hand, fairly certain soldering joints is still a manual thing and not done by machines, particularly for cabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭zafo

Fairly certain of that myself hence the question. PCBs can be done by machine but never heard of a cab not being done by hand.

Wow....boards look funny today.

Anyway, GASin' over a guitar because of the colour, is daft man. Blue guitars don't sound any different.:)

You can edit your options to change the skin. Personally I can't stand the new layout so I went straight back to the beta skin.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Anyway, GASin' over a guitar because of the colour, is daft man. Blue guitars don't sound any different.:)

Yeah but maple necks, and nice pickups on the otherhand...:D

I'm a strat man, what can I say!

It's been a long long time since I've had GAS, last guitar purchase was probably over a year ago at this stage!:eek: And even that was only about 100 quids worth, last guitar purchase was 3 years ago!

All that being said...it's hard to better a Bacchus strat! I remember the days when everyone on here was going Bacchus mad! Then it all just stopped for some reason or another.

Does Bacchus do seven or eight string guitars? I might have a GAS attack myself then :).

Yeah but maple necks, and nice pickups on the otherhand...:D

I'm a strat man, what can I say!

It's been a long long time since I've had GAS, last guitar purchase was probably over a year ago at this stage!:eek: And even that was only about 100 quids worth, last guitar purchase was 3 years ago!

All that being said...it's hard to better a Bacchus strat! I remember the days when everyone on here was going Bacchus mad! Then it all just stopped for some reason or another.

Maybe the maple neck thing is an excuse for a new one, but colour is lame.:) Yeh, new pickups would be the business too. Ever try the David Allen pickups? I threw a set in a Jap Strat and they sound amazing.

Maybe the maple neck thing is an excuse for a new one, but colour is lame.:) Yeh, new pickups would be the business too. Ever try the David Allen pickups? I threw a set in a Jap Strat and they sound amazing.

Love the colour myself!

Haven't done any tinkering with pickups in a long time to be honest, whenever i do i end up dismantling a guitar...getting stuck, and not putting it back together!

Actually have a maple neck squier strat that's sitting idle, as I took it all apart with a great plan to put a custom pickguard, one pickup and a kill switch in it...get stuck, broke the switch I had and never went back to it!

• Advertisement

A lot of the Bacchus pushers here either left the forum or sold theirs. I played a couple of them and thought that boycey's LP style one was the nicest. Can't say i would have bought one of the Strat style models.

Anyway, I had a blue Legacy back when they were cool, before Clapton:

P1070349-2.jpg

Advertisement