Problem with Samsung Galaxy SIII on 3 Mobile - Water Damage - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

27-06-2012, 12:22   #1
Charles1412

Send a message via Skype™ to Charles1412
Problem with Samsung Galaxy SIII on 3 Mobile - Water Damage

Hi I am looking for some advise on what steps to take with this issue. Basically the screen on my 3 week old SIII stopped working last Friday. At first I taught it was just a dead battery as the battery had been low. I charged the phone overnight and on Saturday when I switched on the phone the phone would power up, ring, light up etc but the screen stayed off as if the contrast was turned down. I contacted 3 customer service who advised me to bring the phone into their service partners - Fonemenders. To cut a long story short Fonemenders called me back yesterday to say that the phone was beyond economical repair and they phone was showing signs of water damage as such the warranty is now void. I couldn't believe this as the phone was no where near water but they insist it is showing signs of moisture damage. The guy in the Fonemenders store said that they cannot carry out any work on the phone because of this and I should take up the case with either 3 Mobile or Samsung directly. He reckoned the phone is too new to know if there is a inherit fault in the handset as I was insistent that the phone has never been near water and as you'd expect with such an expensive piece of kit its minded like a baby. I looked on some discussion forums last night and see that "water damage" seems to be a well used cope out for covering repairs on mobile phone. Can anyone advise the best way to progress this whether I should contact 3 or Samsung next. Also I do not have mobile insurance and the phone is still less than 28 days old. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Advertisement
27-06-2012, 12:43   #2
Meesared

Send a message via Skype™ to Meesared
The thing is its not really worth Fonemenders saying it isn't repairable, as they don't get paid for it if that is the case, so the conspiracy theory thing is somewhat out the window. Phones have markers on them that change colour when the phone comes in contact with moisture (note i am not saying water). The phone doesn't necessarily have to have taken a swim to have moisture damage, even condensation and steam can cause it, having your phone in your pocket in the rain, hell even sweat can do it. To be honest you are out of luck, I know its not what you want to hear but when buying a €500-600 phone you should insure it.
27-06-2012, 13:03   #3
Charles1412

Problem with Samsung Galaxy SIII on 3 Mobile - Water Damage

Hi Thanks for the reply. I've been using mobile phone for years and I have only had one phone that had water damage and that was where I let it fall into a sink filled with water. I'm really peeved about this as I've been using iphones the last 3 years and although I had a few tech issues with the iphone i never had any issues re water damage/condensation in that time & low and behold I have this phone less than one month & it has water damage. I really feel that the phone is not fit for purpose and I'm not in a position financially to take this lying down.
27-06-2012, 13:05   #4
Meesared

Again I do see where you are coming from, but to be honest you will be fighting a losing battle here, Fonemenders will have photographic proof of the moisture damage. Previous history with phones doesnt really come into it.
27-06-2012, 13:11   #5
keithclancy

AFAIK there are Moisture sensors in the phone which change colour when exposed to Moisture.

E.G.
http://www.tested.com/news/how-to/72...water-sensors/

Can be activated due to getting slightly wet in the wrong place or by using it in the bathroom when theres steam.

In short, if their activated your knackered.
Advertisement
27-06-2012, 14:21   #6
Charles1412

Samsung Galaxy S3 Issues - Warranty Voided

Hi I am looking for some advise on what steps to take with this issue. Basically the screen on my 3 week old SIII stopped working last Friday. At first I taught it was just a dead battery as the battery had been low. I charged the phone overnight and on Saturday when I switched on the phone the phone would power up, ring, light up etc but the screen stayed off as if the contrast was turned down. I contacted 3 customer service who advised me to bring the phone into their service partners - Fonemenders. To cut a long story short Fonemenders called me back yesterday to say that the phone was beyond economical repair and they phone was showing signs of water damage as such the warranty is now void. I couldn't believe this as the phone was no where near water but they insist it is showing signs of moisture damage. The guy in the Fonemenders store said that they cannot carry out any work on the phone because of this and I should take up the case with either 3 Mobile or Samsung directly. He reckoned the phone is too new to know if there is a inherit fault in the handset as I was insistent that the phone has never been near water and as you'd expect with such an expensive piece of kit its minded like a baby. I looked on some discussion forums last night and see that "water damage" seems to be a well used cope out for covering repairs on mobile phone. Can anyone advise the best way to progress this whether I should contact 3 or Samsung next. Also I do not have mobile insurance and the phone is still less than 28 days old. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Sorry reposted now as I think its better titled S3 than SIII for exposure
27-06-2012, 14:55   #7
Meesared

Erm.... double post?

You could have edited the original title
27-06-2012, 15:11   #8
Charles1412

I couldn't see how to do that as it only seems to allow you to edit the text in the body rather than the title
27-06-2012, 16:00   #9
whiterebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meesared View Post
The thing is its not really worth Fonemenders saying it isn't repairable, as they don't get paid for it if that is the case, so the conspiracy theory thing is somewhat out the window. Phones have markers on them that change colour when the phone comes in contact with moisture (note i am not saying water). The phone doesn't necessarily have to have taken a swim to have moisture damage, even condensation and steam can cause it, having your phone in your pocket in the rain, hell even sweat can do it. To be honest you are out of luck, I know its not what you want to hear but when buying a €500-600 phone you should insure it.
I had first hand experience of Fonemenders saying water damaged on a Nokia, when it was later proved not to have been. I saw one of the Fonemenders staff drop a padded phone envelope from about 4 feet onto concrete....Nothing they do would surprise me.
Advertisement
27-06-2012, 16:17   #10
dudara
Category Moderator

Threads merged - do you want the thread title updated?

dudara
27-06-2012, 23:02   #11
Stinicker

Launch a Small Claims Court Case against Three, the amount of threads popping up recently about Three and their repair agents Fonemenders is unbelievable, both companies have terrible reputations and routinely replace working phones with broken models. Take a read over in the Three forum and you will see what I am talking about. It might be best to contact Samsung directly in the hope they'd replace it to save yourself the hassle of taking Three to the Small Claims Court. I defeated Three this year and was left out of contract and Apple replaced my faulty phone; I had earlier received a faulty phone from Fonemenders upon giving in a working phone due to Three's refusal to acknowledge network issues.

Saying insure the phone is fine, however even if the lad had it insured Fonesure Three's Insurance crowd would deny the claim and they only pay out if the phone is stolen in a mugging with a Garda statement.

Three, Fonemenders and Fonesure are very disreputable companies and I cannot see why the media is not following up on this because if a company was behaving the way they are in Ireland in the United States for example you'd have a class action lawsuit launched against them.

Avoid these companies Three, Fonemenders and Fonesure
(3) thanks from:
28-06-2012, 10:33   #12
gerryk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles1412 View Post
Hi I am looking for some advise on what steps to take with this issue. Basically the screen on my 3 week old SIII stopped working last Friday. At first I taught it was just a dead battery as the battery had been low. I charged the phone overnight and on Saturday when I switched on the phone the phone would power up, ring, light up etc but the screen stayed off as if the contrast was turned down. I contacted 3 customer service who advised me to bring the phone into their service partners - Fonemenders. To cut a long story short Fonemenders called me back yesterday to say that the phone was beyond economical repair and they phone was showing signs of water damage as such the warranty is now void. I couldn't believe this as the phone was no where near water but they insist it is showing signs of moisture damage. The guy in the Fonemenders store said that they cannot carry out any work on the phone because of this and I should take up the case with either 3 Mobile or Samsung directly. He reckoned the phone is too new to know if there is a inherit fault in the handset as I was insistent that the phone has never been near water and as you'd expect with such an expensive piece of kit its minded like a baby. I looked on some discussion forums last night and see that "water damage" seems to be a well used cope out for covering repairs on mobile phone. Can anyone advise the best way to progress this whether I should contact 3 or Samsung next. Also I do not have mobile insurance and the phone is still less than 28 days old. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Sorry reposted now as I think its better titled S3 than SIII for exposure
Unfortunately any unauthorised attempts at either repair or investigation will definitely invalidate the warranty. Try calling Samsung directly and speak to them. Moisture sensors are pretty inaccurate, and investigation of the device itself is the only way to prove conclusively that there has been moisture ingress.
Apple came under some pretty heavy flack for their hard stance on moisture sensor activation last year, and had to back down. Perhaps other manufacturers have paid heed also.
Speak to Samsung, explain your case, and ask for the handset to be evaluated by their engineers. Of course, if it turns out that Fonemender's intervention invalidates your warranty, I, personally would be all guns blazin'.

Last edited by gerryk; 28-06-2012 at 10:34. Reason: can't spell
(2) thanks from:
28-06-2012, 12:17   #13
dohouch

@Charles1412: Sorry for your problem.

I have a 4 year old Nokia N82, working perfectly, that I won't answer if I'm out in the rain. On a visit to a Meteor store, ( forget why, but we took off the battery cover ) the girl commented on water damage and showed me the little pink paper tag. So I think over 4 years in this "Green and Misty Isle" all of these tags have changed colour.

Remember a few years back seeing a picture here on Boards of water corrosion damage in a phone. Obviously this would need more water and need a longer time to develop. The picture had been supplied by some phone fixers as a reason for not carrying out repairs under Warranty, but now with these moisture detecting tags there is no need to provide photos of "actual water damage" the little tags says it all.
28-06-2012, 13:23   #14
Rowley Birkin QC

I got an S3 through 3 Mobile aswell lately. I work with maps everyday so Google Maps is essential to me. I was having intermittent issues with Maps freezing on the phone about 3 weeks after receiving it. Contacted 3 and they asked me to bring it to Fonemenders. I googled them and based on the reviews and feedback I declined this remedy and asked for a replacement phone given the short amount of time it took for the issue to appear after purchase. New phone arrived to my desk yesterday.
Thanks from:
29-06-2012, 16:46   #15
Charles1412

Rowley based on the issue I am having and the fact that the phone was 21 days old when it occured do you think I should have insisted that 3 replace the handset

Last edited by Charles1412; 29-06-2012 at 16:52.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion