Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2012 Cooking Club Week 24 - Green Chilli & Navajo Flatbreads

Options
  • 15-06-2012 9:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭

MODS: I have no idea why the pics are so huge, feel free to resize!

So, green chilli makes a really nice change to the usual "red" chilli that people often assume is pretty much the only chilli going. This is also a ridiculously easy dish to make, and the flavour-to-effort payoff is astronomical. I've included the flatbreads as they're actually really simple to make, but feel free to just use store-bought flour or corn tortillas if you're feeling really lazy - it's the chilli that's the star of the show here.

We'll start with the bread, cause it's the more time-consuming of the two.

Navajo Flatbreads - makes about 10

600g strong white bread flour
    1 tsp sea salt
    1 tbsp baking powder
    6 tbsp olive oil
    c. 300ml warm water

545457_10151180152567678_407629044_n.jpg

1. Place all your dry ingredients in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and add the olive oil and about half the water.

575175_10151180152842678_1465200148_n.jpg

2. Mix with a fork, bringing the flour in from the edges of the bowl and adding the water a little at a time until you have a nice ball of dough. Use your judgement with the water - you don't have to use all of it. Once the dough has come together (it shouldn't be too wet/sticky), flour a clean work surface, turn the dough out onto it and knead until smooth & elastic - about ten minutes.

3. Clean and oil your bowl, then place the dough back into it, turning to coat completely with the oil. Cover with clingfilm and leave to prove for an hour or so. (For the sake of clarity, I'm going to do the whole recipe in one go, but this hour is the perfect time to make your chilli!)

600072_10151180152682678_1858527721_n.jpg

3. When you're ready to roll out your flatbreads, knock the dough back and knead it again very lightly - literally for about two minutes. Divide into ten equal balls and roll out to the thickness of about a euro coin. Don't worry about getting them perfectly round, part of the charm of these is their rustic-ness. You can roll them all out in advance and stack them with flour-dusted sheets of tinfoil between them.

181083_10151180152882678_704158720_n.jpg

4. Preheat a heavy frying or griddle pan (or better yet, do them on the barbie!). Cook the flatbreads until bubbles start to form on the top, then flip and do the other side. Keep warm in a low oven until your chilli is ready to serve.

Green Chilli - serves 4

1kg lean pork mince
    2 large onions
    2 green peppers
    6 small green chillies
    4 fat cloves garlic
    1 tbsp dried sage or oregano
    4 large tomatoes
    Juice of 1 lime
    Salt & pepper
    Olive oil
    Large bunch fresh coriander
    Small bunch fresh mint
    1 romaine lettuce
    Bunch of spring onions
    Yoghurt or sour cream to serve

270903_10151180152937678_123946951_n.jpg

1. Dice your peppers, onions, chillies & garlic and have them ready to go in a large bowl. I leave the seeds & membranes in the chillies, but if you have a tamer palate, remove them before dicing.

181311_10151180152622678_1709837736_n.jpg

2. Heat a splash of oil in a large pot & brown the pork until no pink remains. If your meat is good-quality, it shouldn't need draining, but if it has rendered a lot of fat, drain the excess. Add your diced veg and the sage/oregano and cook on a high heat for ten minutes or so until any water from the veg has been driven off.

3. While this is happening, deseed and roughly dice your tomatoes. Add them to the pot with about a half a glass of water and plenty of salt & pepper. Turn the heat down slightly and let everything simmer away nicely for another 15 or 20 minutes - this chilli is supposed to be quite dry (in a good way!) as opposed to stewy, so again, you want most of the moisture to cook off.

4. When the chilli is almost ready to serve, stir in the lime juice, coriander and mint. Taste and adjust the seasoning - it will likely need more salt and maybe a pinch more sage/oregano. Turn the heat off, but leave the pot on the warm ring.

5. Wash and dry your lettuce and spring onions, then roughly chop them. Fold four of your flatbreads into quarters and pop into four bowls. Ladle over a generous portion of chilli, then scatter over the chopped lettuce & spring onions. Serve with the remaining flatbreads, the yoghurt/sour cream and any remaning salad. Enjoy!

599910_10151164911267678_86784101_n.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

What's romaine lettuce, and where can it be got?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It looks like full size little gem lettuce:

master.k.m.us.RomaineLettuce.jpg

It's very common, you can get it anywhere usually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Faith wrote: »
    It looks like full size little gem lettuce:

master.k.m.us.RomaineLettuce.jpg

It's very common, you can get it anywhere usually.

Yep, or you can just use little gem if you prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

What happened to the last pic? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Gah this sounds right up my street (MASSIVE chilli fan) but herself I don't think would eat it. Time to round down the amounts and make a massive bowl for me to keep in the fridge methinks!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I've never really tried chilli, but this one looks good. The boyfriend isn't a big fan either so I'll have to try it on my own sometime first ;)

However I'm just having a few tapas pickies with friends tonight so gonna do the flatbreads with it. Nom nom!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Made this this evening. Very tasty. Thanks Honey-ec!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Making a veggie version of this tonight. I love chilli but this is a new variety for me so looking forward to giving it a whirl. Have just made the dough for the bread and it smells yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Gorgeous, it was really nice and the bread was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I know this may sound incredibly pedantic, but just curious as to why you've specified sea salt in your recipe, yet shown and used table salt in making the flatbread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I know this may sound incredibly pedantic, but just curious as to why you've specified sea salt in your recipe, yet shown and used table salt in making the flatbread?
    My guess would be because sea salt is better, but he ran out recently.

Mellor wrote: »
    My guess would be because sea salt is better, but he ran out recently.

This.

And yes, it did sound incredibly pedantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Honey-ec wrote: »
    This.
    And yes, it did sound incredibly pedantic.
    I excel at being pedantic.
    Just wanted to know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

How is sea salt "better"?

Is it not all just Sodium Chloride? If you put sea salt, table salt or whatever into a dish, it disolves and disperses throughout the dish evenly, and the same amount of either will have the same effect in the final dish.

The only difference I can see is the texture, which would only matter if you were leaving the addition of salt to the end of a cool dish, where it won't disolve and the latger crystals can be crunched in your teeth, like on a pretzel or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

It's not nutritionally better, it just has a different taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Nice one, Honey-ec!

picture.php?albumid=2062&pictureid=13305

A bit of chilli never did anyone anyone any harm! :p

I made mine with Quorn mince and smoked tofu (which tastes sensational!).

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭LadyHeart

Made this last night-was nom nom nom!!! Left out the mint tho cos I had none. Also the flatbread didn't work out as I didn't have enough flour and couldn't make it out to the shop so had naan bread in the freezer and it was lovely!!

I'm glad I made enough to freeze and have for dinner another night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Nice one, Honey-ec!

picture.php?albumid=2062&pictureid=13305

A bit of chilli never did anyone anyone any harm! :p

I made mine with Quorn mince and smoked tofu (which tastes sensational!).

Slightly OT, but where did you get the smoked Tofu.

I got some Natural Green branded solid tofu recently and just found it totally tasteless, even after covering it in garam massala for an hour to flavour it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

Des wrote: »
    How is sea salt "better"?

Is it not all just Sodium Chloride?

Sea salt has small amounts of other minerals in it too.
    Table salt is pretty much just sodium chloride, but usually has iodine and anti-caking agents added to it too.

Whether it really affects the taste is debatable but some people swear by sea salt!

Not a huge fan of chillis myself, but I really want to give those flatbreads a try! I'd say they could be nice with a curry, maybe with a little bit of herbs and spices added to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

This is gosh-darned good. I had been eyeing the recipe up for a while but hadn't made it because of the mint, which I don't always love in food, but then I've been eating loads of thai salads with mint in them lately and it's grown on me as a taste so gave it a whirl today. Really enjoying it, the mint definitely adds to it. Made a couple of changes to the recipe because firstly I forgot to buy green peppers and secondly I wanted to use quorn mince but it was still delicious. Had it in tortilla cups. Trying to restrain myself from going and getting the pot and just eating it in front of the telly off the ladle

green_chili_zps928a4415.jpg

Thanks a mill for the recipe!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Chronic Button

I'm going to try this in the next couple of weeks. Is pork mince readily available? I've been keeping an eye out for it recently without luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I'm going to try this in the next couple of weeks. Is pork mince readily available? I've been keeping an eye out for it recently without luck.
    Most, if not all, big supermarkets should have it. But failing that, your local butcher should be able to make some for you no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Supervalu, Dunnes & Tesco around me definitely have it in stock normally (Dublin 2 & 8 is where I normally shop)

I get mine in Aldi, they nearly always have it.

Advertisement