Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-06-2012, 15:01   #1
Mc72ie

Harvey Norman poor service

Bought an LG F1289TD5 washing machine from Harvey Norman in carsick mines with an extended warranty. After just 9 days it is dead, will not turn on at all. Wanted Harvey Norman to give me a replacement but they are refusing until the LG engineer comes out which could take 48 hours (not including the weekend, it died on a Friday).
So even though I feel something that stops working after 9 days should be considered faulty they won't budge. It will be Monday at the earliest before someone verifies that the machine is dead and then organises a replacement so probably 5 days without a machine and 3 small boys at home.
This is poor service in my opinion and I would strongly urge people not to buy LG products or anything at all from Harvey Norman.

A very angry customer.
Advertisement
09-06-2012, 15:16   #2
Extinction
Closed Account

Can't see how this is poor service? There could be any number of reasons why its not working and may not be due to any fault with the product. Obviously an engineer needs to have a look at it to confirm what the problem is and this has been arranged.
(4) thanks from:
09-06-2012, 15:29   #3
Mc72ie

Checked all obvious reasons why the machine would not work and all were fine, the machine is simply faulty, can't even report a fault, probably the mother board and if that's faulty then what else could also be wrong with it. My problem is that Harvey Norman who sold the machine are acting like it has nothing to do with them. Good service would be giving me a replacement without fuss and then for them to fight with LG about who's fault it is. I don't think that's unreasonable after 9 days.
09-06-2012, 15:41   #4
Extinction
Closed Account

Harvey Norman is just a retailer, they can't confirm what the problem and would have to get it checked out first. Its inconvenient for you but fortunately they haven't fobbed you off and have made arrangements. What if an engineer goes out and finds its something you have done yourself rather than a fault? Would you expect a bill for the engineers time or would you expect Harvey Norman to pick up the cost of this? I think they have been reasonable with you.
Thanks from:
09-06-2012, 16:21   #5
phester28

i disagree, if it can be demonstrated that it is dead in the first few days of purchase then I would think the responsibility is with harveys, surely a repair man may take several days to turn up and then a repair might be the next step, that may take several weeks for a part to be ordered. all which falls under the terms of reasonable amount of time
Advertisement
09-06-2012, 16:28   #6
Extinction
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by phester28 View Post
i disagree, if it can be demonstrated that it is dead in the first few days of purchase then I would think the responsibility is with harveys, surely a repair man may take several days to turn up and then a repair might be the next step, that may take several weeks for a part to be ordered. all which falls under the terms of reasonable amount of time
Wouldn't it be replaced rather than repaired once it is confirmed by the LG engineer that it is faulty? Surely a couple of days for a call out is reasonable considering it stopped working on Friday.
09-06-2012, 16:33   #7
Mc72ie

Harvey Norman are not just the retailer, they have a contract with me. I agree that all the things you say are reasonable if after a month the machine stops working, but after 9 days I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt. Short of putting a load of bricks in the drum ( which I'm pretty sure I didn't do) I don't see how this could be considered to be my fault. I just want a working washing machine I'm not trying to pull a fast one.
09-06-2012, 16:38   #8
bucketybuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mc72ie View Post
I'm not trying to pull a fast one.
And how are they to know this? You could be anybody, and its completely feasible that you damaged the machine yourself.

No responsible business is going to just accept what every customer says at face value, there are too many examples of customers chancing their arms. They are well within their rights to establish the facts using qualified engineers before making any decision about replacements.
(2) thanks from:
09-06-2012, 16:39   #9
dudara
Category Moderator

Don't take it personally. Harvey Norman first want to verify that there is indeed a fault. It sucks that it is going to take so long, but that's obviously due to the agreement that Harvey Norman have with LG.

I've heard from friends about a lot of washing machine faults in the first days of use, which are often down to poor installation. Getting the engineer out will give them a chance to look at that aspect.
Advertisement
09-06-2012, 17:21   #10
sandin
Closed Account

Why on earth did you buy an extended warranty? These overpriced bits of paper are almost worthless and has no influence on your current situation.

In this situation hn are doing everything properly. They are sending someone out to check the machine and will follow up based on that report. Imagine is the "fault" ended up a broken fuse ? - you'd look foolish then.
09-06-2012, 17:26   #11
Mc72ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandin View Post
Why on earth did you buy an extended warranty? These overpriced bits of paper are almost worthless and has no influence on your current situation.

In this situation hn are doing everything properly. They are sending someone out to check the machine and will follow up based on that report. Imagine is the "fault" ended up a broken fuse ? - you'd look foolish then.
I explained to HN that I am an engineer, that the machine has power going to it and that it was properly installed. These machines for the benefit of LG are as self diagnosing as possible, if it has power and can't self diagnose then I class that as a catastrophic error and feel that after 9 days that's not good enough.
09-06-2012, 17:29   #12
christmas2012
Banned

you will probably have to wait it out,annoying..in the meantime think of the irritating harvey norman ad,go harvey norman go!

bet ur never going to buy a washing machine there again..
09-06-2012, 17:30   #13
Mc72ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketybuck View Post
And how are they to know this? You could be anybody, and its completely feasible that you damaged the machine yourself.

No responsible business is going to just accept what every customer says at face value,.
They have my details, the delivery date, the record of the numerous other items I have purchased, none of this is taken into account.

And when I buy something from Amazon they do just that, they take me at my word and give me a replacement within 30 days. Because they care about their reputation.
09-06-2012, 17:31   #14
dudara
Category Moderator

It doesn't matter at all that you're an engineer, Harvey Norman require the LG engineer to independently validate the fault.
Thanks from:
09-06-2012, 17:31   #15
Mc72ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by christmas2012 View Post
you will probably have to wait it out,annoying..in the meantime think of the irritating harvey norman ad,go harvey norman go!

bet ur never going to buy a washing machine there again..
It'll be NO Harvey NO from now on.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion