stopped by guards today, need advise - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-06-2012, 23:05   #1
jackie.du

Send a message via MSN to jackie.du
stopped by guards today, need advise

Hi guys

here is the story, we went to the town for shopping today and my wife drove my car back from the town. went through a check point today, guards has stopped us and checked the insurance/tax, which is fine as I have it displayed.
however, He started asking for her driving license ect... and asked her if she got an insurance to drive my car. she has her own insurance for her own car alright, but I doubt if her insurance will cover her to drive my car too. we have to ring up the insurance company to check this out on Tuesday, but in the meantime, the guards asked my wife to produce her insurance cert in a garda station within 10 days. My question is, how serious is this? if she find out on Tuesday that her own insurance won't cover to drive my car, will she go to court?

thank you all.
Advertisement
01-06-2012, 23:07   #2
Compton

She'll most likely go to jail for 6 months, driving with no insurance is a serious offense.
(3) thanks from:
01-06-2012, 23:09   #3
Profiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie.du View Post
Hi guys

here is the story, we went to the town for shopping today and my wife drove my car back from the town. went through a check point today, guards has stopped us and checked the insurance/tax, which is fine as I have it displayed.
however, He started asking for her driving license ect... and asked her if she got an insurance to drive my car. she has her own insurance for her own car alright, but I doubt if her insurance will cover her to drive my car too. we have to ring up the insurance company to check this out on Tuesday, but in the meantime, the guards asked my wife to produce her insurance cert in a garda station within 10 days. My question is, how serious is this? if she find out on Tuesday that her own insurance won't cover to drive my car, will she go to court?

thank you all.
Check the Cert for her insurance and see if it has "driving other cars cover" extension.

If it does then your wife is entitled to drive your car (Third Party cover only as long as the driver has the owners consent)

It comes as standard with some policies but not all and its an extension that a lot of people don't realise they have.

If she dosen't have that cover I can't advise you on what the implications might be.
Thanks from:
01-06-2012, 23:10   #4
Avns1s

Have a look at your wifes insurance certificate and see if it covers driving other cars.

Driving with no insurance would be a serious offence which can carry a significant fine and 5 penalty points AFAIR.
01-06-2012, 23:11   #5
Profiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compton View Post
She'll most likely go to jail for 6 months, driving with no insurance is a serious offense.

Most likely? absolutely not. Particularity if it's a first offense.

It is a serious issue but 6 months in prison
Advertisement
01-06-2012, 23:11   #6
friendlylady

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie.du View Post
Hi guys

thank you all.
Don't mind previous post, most likely if she has a full licence and is insured on her own vehicle she has insurance on yours, i have a full licence and am insured comprehensively on any vehicle, now if she doesn't have full licence, your are in trouble, but probably to the point of a fine and points, please don't worry as long as you were not involved in an accident you are alright, you'll survive. Full licence and you're home and dry.
01-06-2012, 23:11   #7
ShadowHearth

Shouldn't your wife be insured as third party?
Almost all insurances let you drive other car on open insurance as long as that car is insured by someone else.

I got my misses as named driver and misses got me as named driver just to be on safe side thought.
(2) thanks from:
01-06-2012, 23:12   #8
Avns1s

Quote:
It's not that serious for a first offence! I don't think this post is helpful to an already worried OP.
01-06-2012, 23:12   #9
Rochey18

Would an open car policy on his policy not also cover his wife?
Advertisement
01-06-2012, 23:13   #10
MagicMarker

She won't go to prison ffs.

Can I ask a question, now it may sound like as silly question, but why in the name of jesus was your wife driving your car with you as a passenger when it's "doubtful" that she was insured? Why didn't you just drive the damn thing yourself?

I've heard some moronic stuff before, but that takes the biscuit tbh.

Unfortunately, you'll only get a fine and a few points.
01-06-2012, 23:14   #11
Anan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochey18 View Post
Would an open car policy on his policy not also cover his wife?
It's far more likely that she has the driving other cars extension than that he has open drive.
01-06-2012, 23:15   #12
Merch
Closed Account

? isn't anyone else thinking this?
Why didnt you check this before she drove your car?
01-06-2012, 23:15   #13
jackie.du

Send a message via MSN to jackie.du
thank you guys, thank god she got full licence. We won't find out if she's being covered by her own insurance company until Tuesday next week. but that option is like a fine print that she won't realized while she sign up the insurance years ago.
01-06-2012, 23:15   #14
Mylow

Offensive reply

Quote:

If your wife has a comprehensive policy she should be ok. The vast majority of comprehensive policies allow you to drive another car not owned by you ... though cover will only be 3rd Party.

Look here

Motor insurance offences: generally punishable by a fine of up to €2,500, disqualification of one year or more for a first offence and two years or more for a second offence, and, at the discretion of the court, a term of imprisonment not exceeding six months. Where the court decides not to impose a disqualification drivers convicted of a first offence of driving without insurance will incur 5 penalty points on their licence record in addition to any other penalty imposed by the court.
Thanks from:
01-06-2012, 23:17   #15
Pkiernan

OP: here is the deal:

Have your wife bring her certificate of insurance and license with her to the Garda Station.

The Guard will see these as being in proper order.

Tell your missus not to volunteer that she was driving your car, just that she was asked to produce her insurance.

When the Guard gives you the all clear, tell her to request the Pulse ID of the entry he will have made in his computer. This will be a record of her visit in case he forgets to properly log it.

Do not worry.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion