Baby crows in attic - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

28-05-2012, 23:51   #1
BanjoB

Baby crows in attic

Hi all.

We've recently been hearing noises in the attic and after some investigation we've found baby crows nesting in the attic insulation.

Upon looking at the fascia at the back of the house we found a sizeable hole where the crow got in.

My problem now, is that I'm getting a guy to fit new fascia and sofit this week so I need the birds gone before the hole is filled up. If the baby's aren't ready to fly, how will I remove them and avoid a serious pecking by the mother!!.

Would the ISPCA remove them??.

Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance
Advertisement
28-05-2012, 23:54   #2
gigawatt

most humane thing to do might be to wait the few weeks till they're gone, is it at all possible? other than that I'd contact the SPCA, they may help you or put you in touch with someone who can.
Thanks from:
29-05-2012, 00:03   #3
BanjoB

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigawatt View Post
most humane thing to do might be to wait the few weeks till they're gone, is it at all possible? other than that I'd contact the SPCA, they may help you or put you in touch with someone who can.
Unfortunately it's not possible. My only opportunity is this week to get the work done. .
29-05-2012, 00:19   #4
adrenalinjunkie

We have the same situation here, we are waiting till they move on. I don't see how there could be any possible way to move them that would allow them to survive. Jackdaws are essentially pests, I can imagine the reaction people would get if they rang up the ISPCA asking for a family of rats to be relocated from their home, realisticly it's the same the thing. You have two choices, wait or pest control.
29-05-2012, 01:14   #5
Birdnuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoB View Post
Unfortunately it's not possible. My only opportunity is this week to get the work done. .
Sounds like your only option is to trap and euthanize them - like certain other corvids(crows), jackdaws can be legally trapped and shot in this country.

Last edited by Birdnuts; 29-05-2012 at 01:28.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
29-05-2012, 06:28   #6
JustAThought

It just seems really a bit mean to kill baby chicks & totally traumatised the mother. you seem like a caring guy. Can't you explain to the fitter guy & arrange another time to have the work done in a while;.
I'm sure bird watch Ireland or somebody in an organisation like that could tell you how long they take til they can survive on their own. Throwing them out would kill them all : (
(3) thanks from:
29-05-2012, 06:38   #7
TheTwiz
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAThought View Post
It just seems really a bit mean to kill baby chicks & totally traumatised the mother. you seem like a caring guy. Can't you explain to the fitter guy & arrange another time to have the work done in a while;.
I'm sure bird watch Ireland or somebody in an organisation like that could tell you how long they take til they can survive on their own. Throwing them out would kill them all : (
Get over yourself. How will they benefit society. They're a pest so just get rid of them
(2) thanks from:
29-05-2012, 07:29   #8
JustAThought

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTwiz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAThought View Post
Get over yourself. How will they benefit society. They're a pest so just get rid of them

Might I ask the same of you ?
Human acts of kindness are what save us & separate us from the animal kingdom.
Though crows are one of the few animals that feed their ageing parents when they are weak or suffering.They don't abandon them or let them die because they are an inconvenience or burden to them.

Apparently crows( inc magpies ) are rated the most intelligent species in the bird world; can remember events and prople and modify their behaviour to " suite" previous experiences; and are the only bird that can " make "/ use tools to perform jobs!!! Bit mad that!! Thry' re up there in the bird world Like the dolphin or chimps.

Last edited by JustAThought; 29-05-2012 at 07:35.
Thanks from:
29-05-2012, 14:36   #9
star-pants
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTwiz View Post
General rule of thumb - attack the post, not the poster. Please take heed.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion