Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

29-05-2012, 11:40   #31
OSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvoman480 View Post
As a truck driver myself, I can honestly say that I frequently move to the right hand lane to pass slower moving vehicles. I do this as quickly as possible, I also check to make sure that no other cars are close by, not solely that I don't hit them but also to ensure that I'm not delaying anyone by driving in the right hand lane. I know what it's like to be stuck behind something travelling slowly.. What amazes me is how many cars are travelling at less the 90kph on our motorways. I'm aware that the 120kph is a limit, not a target. However I'm always surprised by the amount times I am able to overtake cars. Any time I have travelled in a car on a motorway (which thankfully isn't very often) I've maintained a steady 115-120kph. I shouldn't be able to pass anything on the M8/M7/M50/M1 route I travel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.fuzzenstein View Post
Totally agree, I have often seen trucks overtake grannies in Micras doing 70-80 km/h, no one should be forced to endure that.
Not a truck driver myself, but I totally sympathise.

Only going to become more common when the likes of the Nissan Leaf and Renault Flatulence ZE start becoming more common on the road and their drivers have to do 80KM/H just to make it as far as Cork from Dublin.
Advertisement
29-05-2012, 11:46   #32
the culture of deference

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvoman480 View Post
As a truck driver myself, I can honestly say that I frequently move to the right hand lane to pass slower moving vehicles. I do this as quickly as possible, I also check to make sure that no other cars are close by, not solely that I don't hit them but also to ensure that I'm not delaying anyone by driving in the right hand lane. I know what it's like to be stuck behind something travelling slowly.. What amazes me is how many cars are travelling at less the 90kph on our motorways. I'm aware that the 120kph is a limit, not a target. However I'm always surprised by the amount times I am able to overtake cars. Any time I have travelled in a car on a motorway (which thankfully isn't very often) I've maintained a steady 115-120kph. I shouldn't be able to pass anything on the M8/M7/M50/M1 route I travel.
I don't have a problem with trucks overtaking slower vehicles, it becomes a problem when it's 2 trucks going head to head, one is doing 86-88 kmh and the other one is doing 88-89 kmh . (I have a truck license)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.fuzzenstein View Post
Anyone who does that should just be shot by the roadside by armed Gardai.
There is no reason for doing that other than being a cnut.
The truck should just start pulling in on top of them, nothing will get them hitting the brakes faster than 40 tons of artic looming over them

And it's not just truckers who overtake for miles. Some car drivers pull alongside a truck and then overtake going exactly 0.0015 km/h faster than the vehicle they're overtaking.
Why bother?
I have seen this on the N4.

I watched a LWB van overtake on the hard shoulder to pass 2 trucks.
29-05-2012, 11:47   #33
dr.fuzzenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by the culture of deference View Post

I watched a LWB van overtake on the hard shoulder to pass 2 trucks.
Wow, that's just beyond insane.
Thanks from:
29-05-2012, 11:48   #34
the culture of deference

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSI View Post
Only going to become more common when the likes of the Nissan Leaf and Renault Flatulence ZE start becoming more common on the road and their drivers have to do 80KM/H just to make it as far as Cork from Dublin.

Renault Flatulence ZE silent but deadly.
29-05-2012, 17:59   #35
MYOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiniO View Post
Buses are not prohibited from using right hand lane since their limit on motorways changed from 80km/h to 100km/h which was AFAIR in April 2009.

But no matter what, RSA keeps publishing information that they are prohibited from using right hand lane on motorways. It's worded in their ROTR from 2010, and it's in their leaflet about motorway driving from 2012.
Yet another case of the ROTR not reflecting the actual law.
Advertisement
29-05-2012, 19:02   #36
Cassidy28

I watched a LWB van overtake on the hard shoulder to pass 2 trucks.[/QUOTE]

This happens a lot on the M1 especially from the Boyne Bridge northbound, if there are two trucks taking up the two lanes, vans, cars, motorbikes overtake in the hard shoulder, and travelling at 100/120KPH.
29-05-2012, 19:08   #37
kona

Well, Today I saw the Truck drivers side of things, I was behind some ****ing self righteous gob****e who merged onto the motorway at......40KMPH and proceeded to take a longer run to get to 120 than a fully loaded 747. All while a truck was in the slow lane, I would have been boxed in and out of slip road, but the truck driver let me out and away from the retard. ( thanks you Truck driver!) How am I likely to be paying more insurance than this geriatric female clown??
29-05-2012, 20:56   #38
Beer Baron

Send a message via MSN to Beer Baron Send a message via Skype™ to Beer Baron
As a sales rep I drive a lot and see trucks obeying and disobeying rules day in and day out but I have to tell myself "It is not my job to police the roads" and other people need to remember this as well.

Trucks do overtake often doing 1 km/h faster than the other truck but this can be due to anything. Heavier load and approaching a hill when starting the manouever. It doesn't bother me because I know that once he does move back in(or she for the haters out there) then I will just go back to my original speed and still get to my destination in a quick time compared to the early 2000's.

Bus's. That 100kmh is a new one on me because I was wondering how their speed limiter were breaching the 80km/h limit but again see point 1, not my job to police the roads.

I assumed that trucks were allowed to overtake in the right lane of a Motorway if it were a 2 lane motorway and only banned from the 3rd(outer lane) of a Motorway such as the M50. I have never seen a C+ license using the 3rd lane of the M50 except on the M1 Interchange as mentioned already.
29-05-2012, 22:11   #39
CiniO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Baron View Post
Bus's. That 100kmh is a new one on me because I was wondering how their speed limiter were breaching the 80km/h limit but again see point 1, not my job to police the roads.
Since speed limiters were introduced for buses, the limit set was 100km/h.
However motorway speed limit for buses indeed was 80km/h until 2009 when it changed to 100km/h.

I assumed that trucks were allowed to overtake in the right lane of a Motorway if it were a 2 lane motorway and only banned from the 3rd(outer lane)[/QUOTE]

They are banned from using most right lane no matter if motorway has 2, 3, or 10 lanes.
Advertisement
31-05-2012, 17:48   #40
the culture of deference

Was on the N4 today. I Overtook 2 trucks doing 120kmh. Had a volvo about 300 meters behind me catching me fast. 2nd truck pulled straight out in front of him. It took about 3 kms before the trucks cleared each other.
31-05-2012, 17:53   #41
Mycroft H

Quote:
Was on the N4 today. I Overtook 2 trucks doing 120kmh. Had a volvo about 300 meters behind me catching me fast. 2nd truck pulled straight out in front of him. It took about 3 kms before the trucks cleared each other.

Trucks doing 120km/h? Your speedometer is well off
31-05-2012, 18:31   #42
slimjimmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BX 19 View Post
I understood 120km/h was his speed not the speed the trucks were doing.
31-05-2012, 19:19   #43
the culture of deference

Quote:
Originally Posted by BX 19 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjimmc View Post
I understood 120km/h was his speed not the speed the trucks were doing.
Yeah my speed. I reckon the volvo was above 140km. When he caught up to me again he disappeared quickly.
31-05-2012, 19:59   #44
CiniO

So often people write about those flying trucks, but I must say that I've never seen a truck doing more than 90km/h.
Maybe I'm just unlucky that I never meet the faster ones.
31-05-2012, 20:07   #45
guil

Quote:
Yeah my speed. I reckon the volvo was above 140km. When he caught up to me again he disappeared quickly.
i dont think it would be geared high enough to do 140kmph
the one i drive does between 1600-1800 at 90kmph and would need to do 2700rpm to get to 140, the redline starts at 2200

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion