Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-05-2012, 23:53   #1
Bodacious

calf with pneumonia/panting

I lost a calf a week ago today and i bought in a suck calf...cow not taken to calf yet but am letting her out to suck am/pm, thursday there noticed nasal discharge from both nostrils so rang vet and he sent me out a shot of Nuflor and calf was much brighter after it, she is greedy to suck and is sucking all 4 tits, eating hay, drinking water also, chewing cud and her dung is perfect and looks fine in eyes/coat etc (no nasal discharge now) but she panting alot especially after suckling?

should i be worried or am i being over cautious?
Advertisement
24-05-2012, 07:54   #2
bbam
Closed Account

I wouldn't be familiar with that drug bit has she had a full course?
Could it just have suppressed the symptoms without clearing it?

But it may well be that she's just sucking hard and for a long time leaving her short of breath for a while.
It may improve as time goes bye as she gets stronger.

Had she a temperature when she was showing symptoms and has that gone completely?
25-05-2012, 02:16   #3
ddogsbollix

with that the best job for healing a calves lungs like that is to have them out in the fresh air!
25-05-2012, 09:44   #4
Bodacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbam View Post
I wouldn't be familiar with that drug bit has she had a full course?
Could it just have suppressed the symptoms without clearing it?

But it may well be that she's just sucking hard and for a long time leaving her short of breath for a while.
It may improve as time goes bye as she gets stronger.

Had she a temperature when she was showing symptoms and has that gone completely?
Hi bbam, ddogsbolix

One thing I meant to get was a digital thermometer but I never got it! I'll pick it one up soon.

I let her suck lastnight after work and out the door, she much improved this morning the fresh air !! Cow in a paddock by herself but right next to other cows and calves and both seem much happier in the sunshine.

She doing less panting already

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion