Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

24-05-2012, 16:43   #76
G-Money
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerrDub View Post
Have hidden my POF profile now, time to take a break! Same sorta mails all the time, and then the arranging of dates, which fall into a couple of different categories.

Coffee Date: Quick and simple, only have to last as long as it takes to drink the coffee, car or bike can be waiting outside for a quick escape.
Problem with it is, if you want to stay, how many cups of coffee can you drink in an hour!? Though in my expierience coffee dates are like 1st interviews, i.e. nerves and you can't wait to escape!

Dinner date: a lot less casual than coffee dates, at least you have to make an extra effort to dress more smartly than for the above. Problem being is that if the person you are meeting does not take your fancy when face to face or the conversation goes flat, then you are stuck there until dessert!

Drinks: the old favorite! Meet up, try and look well for the pub, esp. on a Friday or Saturday night. A few drinks can ease the 1st date nerves. Only thing is i have found that people i have dated who were not into me would not say so as they had made the effort to get done up and go out, so usually lead to a handshake and "it was nice meeting you" at 1am!
I would never agree to dinner as a first date. I remember one girl kind of wanted to go for dinner and I was very hesitant and said lets just get a drink. She was kinda persistent but I held my ground and she agreed to go for a drink and it was just as well. She basically turned her nose up at me as soon as she saw me.

I think going for a drink is the best as it gives you the option of leaving after one, or staying the whole night. Although from some of the profiles I've read, some girls find that too "normal" and are looking for something much more "exciting". I usually click the back button and look at another profile when I start to read lists of demands like that
Advertisement
24-05-2012, 16:49   #77
blacklilly

I have left the "first date" blank.

I've heard of losts of girls using this just to get brought out for a meal etc.

Personally I prefer something really casual, coffee, walk etc. I would never go for a meal on the first date, would find it too uncomfortable, plus with my experience to date I'd be dying to escape.
24-05-2012, 16:50   #78
PerrDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklilly View Post
I have left the "first date" blank.

I've heard of losts of girls using this just to get brought out for a meal etc.

Personally I prefer something really casual, coffee, walk etc. I would never go for a meal on the first date, would find it too uncomfortable, plus with my experience to date I'd be dying to escape.
Same thing as drinks in a pub, some would expect you to pay, which could end up being quite expensive if they are a dipso!
24-05-2012, 16:58   #79
blacklilly

Quote:
Same thing as drinks in a pub, some would expect you to pay, which could end up being quite expensive if they are a dipso!
That's where if you're not interested you need to make it clear and exit. You're not a free night out for any woman.

I usually let the guy buy the first round but will always offer/buy the second round, equality and all that.

Meeting someone for the first time from od can be daunting and expensive so I suggest coffee, walk etc, coffee is not expensive and walking is free
(2) thanks from:
24-05-2012, 16:59   #80
PerrDub

Walking has not been an option recently until Summer arrived this week!

Though in a pub, you think you are doing well, splash out for the drinks only to be told "Nice ta see you, laters!" at the end of the night... Women are soo cruel!
Advertisement
24-05-2012, 17:04   #81
G-Money
Closed Account

Quote:

Though in a pub, you think you are doing well, splash out for the drinks only to be told "Nice ta see you, laters!" at the end of the night... Women are soo cruel!
The mistake is to buy all the drinks. Definitely go 50/50, if not, leave after the 2nd drink.
24-05-2012, 17:16   #82
ladylost

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Money View Post
The mistake is to buy all the drinks. Definitely go 50/50, if not, leave after the 2nd drink.
I agree. I always go 50/50 on my dates. If they let you go to the bar twice without offering to buy a drink, walk away!
I would be slow to go for a walk on a first date for security reasons. Depends on where you go I guess.
(2) thanks from:
24-05-2012, 19:35   #83
Ammsy500

Agree with the others I would never let somebody pay for the drinks all night interested or not. I always buy my fair share of rounds. Nothing worse if the persons not interested and you've spent so much for nothing. They'd probably except you to pay all the time aswell after that.

Went on date 3 the other night and well it didn't go great at all. It was very awkward it felt very much like a 1st date with somebody id never met before. Hadn't heard from him all week and just thought I'd send him a text a hey how are you one, pretty much sent it just to see what his response would be since he was quite distant that night. Got nada not a thing. Never understood that you go out with somebody a few times and then nothing. Would it kill them to just say 'look had a nice time with you the times we went out but don't think it will go anywhere....' Nah just easier to ignore you.

On a side note a guy I went on a date with over a month ago who seemed nice thought it went well then heard nothing and didn't think much about it well he text me yesterday! Seriously what's up with that?? Obviously the other dates he had didn't go so well so thought he'd get back in touch with me.
24-05-2012, 22:33   #84
Owen

Well, I spoke too soon anyway ... packing in this whole online dating thing for another few weeks, too many messers altogether.
Advertisement
24-05-2012, 22:40   #85
Larianne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen View Post
Well, I spoke too soon anyway ... packing in this whole online dating thing for another few weeks, too many messers altogether.
Ah FFS! Sorry to hear that man.
(5) thanks from:
24-05-2012, 23:23   #86
LoTwan

Quote:
Walking has not been an option recently until Summer arrived this week!
And YAY for the weather. I am going for a walk tomorrow
24-05-2012, 23:47   #87
finipops
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen View Post
When i first setup an online dating account i felt horrible when i was messed about but now it doesn't bother me and i just move on. Just take it easy and don't expect anything that's what i does.
25-05-2012, 00:11   #88
D_murph

Hi all. Short term lurker and first time poster on here .

After reading this (and the previous) thread, I decided to give it a shot for the craic. I threw up a profile on POF last week but had no photo up. Only private and even though I sent it with my PMs to a few girls on there, I had no joy so far.

I put the pic up public just now so I fully expect to get a ribbing from someone that recognises me soon lol .

Last edited by D_murph; 25-05-2012 at 00:44.
25-05-2012, 12:39   #89
LoTwan

I spoke too soon. Walk got cancelled.
25-05-2012, 13:39   #90
Galvasean

Send a message via MSN to Galvasean
Found myself with unexpected free time yesterday so had myself an impromptu date last night. Beats waiting 'til Monday I suppose.
(3) thanks from:
Thread Closed