OK so ive spoken to the mod in question and he has directed me to the soccer forum charter. Most importantly the bit on infractions and bans.
Policies on Bans and Infractions
1. Minor offence (See list) will result in a yellow card infraction and may incur a ban. Repeat offences may result in a red card infraction and/or a ban of increasing length.
2. Major Offence (see list) will result in a red card infraction. A red card infraction will count as two yellow cards for the purpose of point 3 below.
3. Those receiving a total of six yellow card infractions will be banned from the forum for the entire season (running Aug-July) or 6 months, which ever is longer.
4. Any user receiving a single red card infraction within 6 months of unbanning from a season long ban, will be banned for the entire season (running August - July) or 6 months, which ever is longer, or, at the moderators discretion may be permanently removed from the forum.
5. In extreme cases, the moderators may deem offences to exceed the scope of the an/infraction system. In these events, the moderates reserve the right to issue a permanent or season long ban to any user.
6. Should an infraction be removed or overturned, it will not count towards the banning procedure.
7. Ban lengths for yellow card infractions are at the discretion of the moderator. Even where no ban occurs, the yellow card still counts.
8. Ban lengths for red card infractions are a minimum of 2 weeks at the discretion of the moderator.
10. In the case of abuse, should the abuse be a result of provocation, no matter how mild, the initiator will receive a yellow card infraction. Should the initiator be deemed to have purposefully provoked a user in order to report them, the mod may issue a red card infraction (ie. we will examine abuse and if the abuse was provoked, both parties will be sanctioned).
Minor Offences (including but not limited to):
Abuse of players.
Flamebaiting in threads.
Debating moderation in threads.
Mild flaming or trolling.
Derailing or off topic posting in super threads.
Accusing a member of trolling/being a troll
Misuse of the Reported Post system
Abusing through the thanks system (thanking abusive posts)
Major Offences (including but not limited to):
Blatant or deliberate breach of charter.
Misuse of tagging system
Abuse of users.
Breaking a boards.ie rule
The points which apply here are in bold. 6 total yellows and a 6 month or rest of season ban. In this case you have picked up 3 Yellows (3 points ) and 2 reds ( 4 points as reds count as double) giving you a total of 7 points which is why you were banned.
So i'm afraid in this case the ban is totally valid and stands as you would have been aware of this rule when you read the form charter when first accessing the forum.