food for putting weight on dogs - Page 2 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

28-05-2012, 19:50   #16
juniord

food for putting weight on dogs

if the meat was contaminated with some sort of poison it would cause a problem but not meat gone bad over time i have fed my dog rotten meat and never a problem
Advertisement
28-05-2012, 20:53   #17
TooManyDogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniord View Post
if the meat was contaminated with some sort of poison it would cause a problem but not meat gone bad over time i have fed my dog rotten meat and never a problem
Like I said, rotten meat doesn't agree with all dogs. I know plenty of dogs that will get stomach upsets from eating a small bit of scraps, never mind rotten meat. You're lucky your dog can eat anything but that doesn't mean it's a fact across the board
28-05-2012, 21:31   #18
juniord

food for putting weight on dogs

the reason my dog is fed raw is because he has allergies to certain foods so im not lucky he can eat anything , i didnt gamble and just feed spoiled meat i consulted an animal nutritionist first
28-05-2012, 22:47   #19
Vince32

Minced Meat, won't do any harm in the short term, don't get me wrong but over time, just like humans, the plaque and tartar can get out of control if left unchecked, I was told along time ago to avoid it unless there was literally nothing else to offer. That's all, like I said a small thing.

Regarding spoiled meat, my sibe might refuse it's meals for a few days, for whatever reason, if the meal gets refused, it goes back down for the next meal, and rest stays in the freezer until its gone, she ate fairly ripe duck quarter after refusing meals for 3 days, and when she did finally eat it, there was nothing wrong with her at all, and that's because in the wild they would revisit kills over a few days to fill up when they need too, and their stomach acids can easily handle ripe or spoiled meat. Never throw out food, they can and will eat when they are hungry, and if you cave in and offer something else, the dog will have you over a barrel for life.

Some dogs may react with loose stools, or vomiting, but those are in the minority, on the whole, to the best of my knowledge, as long as it's not putrified beyond recognition, most dogs will be fine eating it.

All the feeding I do, and from the site I mentioned before is based on how they would eat in the wild, ok, store bought meats aren't exactly fresh kills, but I'm ok with that.

if you really want to know more about raw feeding, from raw feeders and the collective experience of dozens of owners, take a look in eskimo huskies and read the raw feeding section, it's a great guide and I would be lost without it. even if you don't own a husky it's still valid for all breeds of dog.

I have an external PDF you can read, It's quite long but easy to understand and follow, EDIT< can't see it, unless your a member > sorry..

anyways, that's what I've learned, happy to share, discuss and learn.

www.eskimohuskies.com register, wait for validation, read raw feeding section, ask questions, be polite PLEASE.

Vince

Last edited by Vince32; 28-05-2012 at 23:00.
28-05-2012, 23:11   #20
TooManyDogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince32 View Post
Some dogs may react with loose stools, or vomiting, but those are in the minority, on the whole, to the best of my knowledge, as long as it's not putrified beyond recognition, most dogs will be fine eating it.

That's the thing though, it's fine to feed some dogs rotting meat but not all, it's not a guaranteed thing that all dogs will be ok eating it, some will be very ill indeed. Some breeds are bred beyond any recognition from their wild cousins and do not have the same strong stomach the likes of a husky does, also their stomachs adapt to a certain extent to the diet they've been fed over generations so certain lines of breeds may not be able to deal with it. It's equally true that cavemen would have eaten rotting meatn half cooked meat and anything that could be vaguely described as edible but that doesn't automatically mean all of us could tuck into a day old road kill and be all perfect, some would be ok and some would be violently ill.

It just needs to be borne in mind when giving feeding advice, a quick mention that rotten meat may make some dogs ill would be no harm.

As regards the mince, I've fed my lot mince as part of their diet for 4 years now and have 6 sets of sparkly white teeth so not sure that's a blanket fact either
Advertisement
29-05-2012, 00:01   #21
Vince32

Your caveman reference made me think of bear grylls eating a day old buck carcass raw and bloody

Thing is this whole thing about eating raw meat has been done to death, the arguments for and against it are pretty well known, and I know Huskies might have an advantage when it comes to raw feeding, because they are natural hunters, but I wouldn't go as far as to say there are some breeds with the inability to eat raw foods, because that kind of evolutionary leap would take thousands of years to come about, and since commercial food has only been around since the 1900's or so there just isn't enough time to breed out that ability.

BUT, I can't say minced meat will rot your dogs teeth with 100% accuracy, anymore than I could say candy and soda will rot your teeth, regular maintenance keeps them sparkling white. EDIT: raw MEATY bones aka chicken leg type bones. (for clarity)

anyway, I'll leave it there, I just want to promote raw feeding wherever I can.

Vince.

Last edited by Vince32; 29-05-2012 at 00:05.
29-05-2012, 00:07   #22
TooManyDogs

I have fed raw for the last 4 years so obviously a major fan, I'm just saying that there isn't a blanket solution for every dog out there. There's some on here found lightly cooking suited their dogs digestion much more than raw. I agree that kibble is muck but there's also a ton of different ways to feed raw/homemade.

The majority of dog breeds around today are only recognisable for the last 150 years or so, and some like boxers can be very prone to sensitive stomachs, so evolution may take a thousand years to change things but we're not dealing with only evolution here.

Last edited by TooManyDogs; 29-05-2012 at 00:10.
29-05-2012, 03:24   #23
Vince32

That's fair enough, we agree raw feeding is far better than any dry commercial food, and individual owners will have to tend to their own dogs individual needs. I always speak in general terms, it's a bad habit.

Anyway sorry to side track the thread, but it was worth talking about, the original advice still stands, if you want to gain weight on a dog, high protein food a couple of times a day with regular exercise will help pack on the pounds, just watch you don't go over the breed standard weight by too much, the only thing worse than a skinny looking dog.. is a fat one

Vince
29-05-2012, 09:30   #24
TooManyDogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince32 View Post
just watch you don't go over the breed standard weight by too much, the only thing worse than a skinny looking dog.. is a fat one

Vince
Totally agree with you

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion