Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: When will U be getting the WiiU?
Day 1 purchase for me! 75 22.12%
Going to wait 6 months they get it 44 12.98%
Giving it a year and see whats out for it. 57 16.81%
Not getting one as it stands. 118 34.81%
Waiting to see what is shown at E3. 19 5.60%
Atari ST 26 7.67%
Voters: 339. You may not vote on this poll

17-05-2012, 09:21   #61
Josey Wales

The 3DS is the first console I've bought at release. Every other one I've waited at least a year. Sadly I view the 3DS as a big mistake so I will take my time to decide on the WiiU.

As for launch games I'm sure NSMBWiiU will be excellent. I haven't seen or heard of anything else that has me interested.

There is one thing that would make me buy it day one - Super Mario World Wii U. A true sequel to SMW. I know Yoshi's Island is the official sequel but it doesn't feel like it to me.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
17-05-2012, 16:21   #62
smokingman

Amazon description is up; looks like I was right on the external hard drive option:

Technical Specifications

Console Size – Approximately 1.8-inches tall, 6.8-inches wide and 10.5-inches long.
New Controller – The new controller incorporates a 6.2-inch, 16:9 touch screen and traditional button controls, including two analog circle pads. This combination removes the traditional barriers between games, players and the TV by creating a second window into the video game world. The rechargeable controller includes a power button, home button, +control pad, A/B/X/Y buttons, L/R buttons and ZL/ZR buttons. It includes a built-in accelerometer and gyroscope, rumble feature, camera, a microphone, stereo speakers, a sensor strip and a stylus.
Other Controls – Up to four Wii Remote (or Wii Remote Plus) controllers can be connected at once. The new console supports all Wii controllers and input devices, including the Nunchuk controller, Classic Controller, Classic Controller Pro and Wii Balance Board.
Media – A single self-loading media bay will play 12-centimeter proprietary high-density optical discs for the new console, as well as 12-centimeter Wii optical discs.
Video Output – Supports 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i. Compatible cables include HDMI, component, S-video and composite.
Audio Output – Uses AV Multi Out connector. Six-channel PCM linear output through HDMI.
Storage – The console will have internal flash memory, as well as the option to expand its memory using either an SD memory card or an external USB hard disk drive.
CPU – IBM Power-based multi-core microprocessor.
GPU – AMD Radeon-based High Definition GPU.
Other – Four USB 2.0 connector slots are included. The new console is backward compatible with Wii games and Wii accessories.
Thanks from:
17-05-2012, 16:40   #63
readyletsgo

Isnt that Amazon discription what we already know? Flash memory, that can only go up to 64gbs am I right in thinking?
18-05-2012, 01:52   #64
/\/ollog

Send a message via AIM to /\/ollog Send a message via Skype™ to /\/ollog
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingman View Post
Amazon description is up; looks like I was right on the external hard drive option:

Technical Specifications

Console Size – Approximately 1.8-inches tall, 6.8-inches wide and 10.5-inches long.
New Controller – The new controller incorporates a 6.2-inch, 16:9 touch screen and traditional button controls, including two analog circle pads. This combination removes the traditional barriers between games, players and the TV by creating a second window into the video game world. The rechargeable controller includes a power button, home button, +control pad, A/B/X/Y buttons, L/R buttons and ZL/ZR buttons. It includes a built-in accelerometer and gyroscope, rumble feature, camera, a microphone, stereo speakers, a sensor strip and a stylus.
Other Controls – Up to four Wii Remote (or Wii Remote Plus) controllers can be connected at once. The new console supports all Wii controllers and input devices, including the Nunchuk controller, Classic Controller, Classic Controller Pro and Wii Balance Board.
Media – A single self-loading media bay will play 12-centimeter proprietary high-density optical discs for the new console, as well as 12-centimeter Wii optical discs.
Video Output – Supports 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i. Compatible cables include HDMI, component, S-video and composite.
Audio Output – Uses AV Multi Out connector. Six-channel PCM linear output through HDMI.
Storage – The console will have internal flash memory, as well as the option to expand its memory using either an SD memory card or an external USB hard disk drive.
CPU – IBM Power-based multi-core microprocessor.
GPU – AMD Radeon-based High Definition GPU.
Other – Four USB 2.0 connector slots are included. The new console is backward compatible with Wii games and Wii accessories.
All from http://e3.nintendo.com/hw/#/about
Thanks from:
18-05-2012, 10:43   #65
smokingman

Quote:
Originally Posted by /\/ollog View Post

Maybe I should pay more attention to the first announcement...
After spending time since the last E3 with no real buzz about the WiiU, I'm beginning to ramp up now though.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
19-05-2012, 21:55   #66
iceferg

I mentioned in an earlier post that id probobly get the wii u on launch if there was a starfox or metroid game . this isnt exactly what i meant .
its just a rumour for the moment.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2012/05/1...ng-up-on-wii-u
Thanks from:
19-05-2012, 22:00   #67
CastorTroy

Saw that. Clearly they wanted you to buy one, iceferg. Since you weren't sure which one, they played it safe and combined the 2.
Thanks from:
19-05-2012, 22:31   #68
/\/ollog

Send a message via AIM to /\/ollog Send a message via Skype™ to /\/ollog
http://nollog.net/WiiU/controller.jpg
A QA guy from TT posted this on twitcher.

(Lego city stories tester)
(2) thanks from:
19-05-2012, 22:42   #69
CastorTroy

He's gonna have an interesting day next time he's in work.

Main change is the nubs have been replaced by sticks
Advertisement
19-05-2012, 23:08   #70
DamoElDiablo
Lumpy Space Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceferg View Post
I mentioned in an earlier post that id probobly get the wii u on launch if there was a starfox or metroid game . this isnt exactly what i meant .
its just a rumour for the moment.
http://ie.ign.com/articles/2012/05/1...ng-up-on-wii-u
I really, really hope it's not true...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CastorTroy View Post
Main change is the nubs have been replaced by sticks
Looks like the nunchuck sticks, which is a good thing!
20-05-2012, 13:35   #71
richymcdermott

I will be picking it up on launch day but curious id the controller be good for fighting games , ninty has the best dpad out of the 3 but just the yxba buttons seems small , would prefer if the buttons were bit bigger , other than that im happy from what i am seening
20-05-2012, 18:04   #72
fewtins
Thermal sock city.

Will it have Streetpass?

I'll buy it at launch if it has Streetpass.
(2) thanks from:
20-05-2012, 19:06   #73
Defiler Of The Coffin

Not sure if I'll buy it on day one yet. Depends on the launch line-up. I queued up for the Wii when it was released but there was no resisting Twilight Princess that time!

E3 will be interesting.
20-05-2012, 22:39   #74
CastorTroy

Was just thinking, what is it about the name that people dislike? I mean if you're getting a game for it you get the game or you ask for it on Wii U. I don't see the problem over saying 360 or PS3. And there's even less syllables in Wii U.
20-05-2012, 22:43   #75
Defiler Of The Coffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastorTroy View Post
Was just thinking, what is it about the name that people dislike? I mean if you're getting a game for it you get the game or you ask for it on Wii U. I don't see the problem over saying 360 or PS3. And there's even less syllables in Wii U.
The gaming press HATED the name Wii when it was announced but it still went on to be a top seller. It's a proven brand name now, especially with the casual gaming crowd!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion