Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-05-2012, 23:23   #16
_AVALANCHE_
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boards.ie: Neil View Post
The successor to vbulletin is the boards Api that we have been working on for the last 18 months (and continually work on).
How much different is it gonna be though? Any site live at the minute that's like it?
Advertisement
15-05-2012, 00:30   #17
minidazzler

Send a message via MSN to minidazzler Send a message via Skype™ to minidazzler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boards.ie: Neil View Post
The successor to vbulletin is the boards Api that we have been working on for the last 18 months (and continually work on).

I actually can't wait for us to start on the new design. After being on boards for the last 10+ years personally I'm looking forward to a design that isn't from the 1990's.
So, how much are you dreading the typical facebook style of completely retarded responce calling for the old style back and people saying the new one is IMPOSSIBRU to use.

Release all information on people who do, I'll take care of them, I really really hate people who complain about progress, especially since it's needed so badly here (presuming you guys aren't lying about vbulletin being crap for boards size )

Quote:
Originally Posted by _AVALANCHE_ View Post
How much different is it gonna be though? Any site live at the minute that's like it?
IIRC they haven't really started on the GUI yet, which is what the site will look like, the API is the actual internal workings of the site because boards is literally too big for it's boots.

Though, I'm making the presumption that the new search will be what the general layout will be like, simple and non-invasive.

Last edited by minidazzler; 15-05-2012 at 00:33.
15-05-2012, 01:48   #18
_AVALANCHE_
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveform View Post
I wouldn't make for a great presenter tbh!
I still nominate waveform!! (If the college ones are a no-go)

http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia.html I think is the recorder used in most of the Youtube Tutorials I've watched....has a free trial.

Make the yellow circle nice and big wave!

15-05-2012, 08:00   #19
Boards.ie: Neil
Closed Account

Quote:
It's going to be a totally bespoke solution both in how it looks and feels. There will be no site that is currently out there that we will be "copying"

Quote:
Originally Posted by minidazzler View Post
So, how much are you dreading the typical facebook style of completely retarded responce calling for the old style back and people saying the new one is IMPOSSIBRU to use.
I'm not dredding it at all but it's in the backs of everyone in the office minds. We'll just have to use adverts.ie as a case study. That got a lot of slack when it was redesigned but suffice to say it's going really well now. You'll always get people who will complain though.

Quote:
Release all information on people who do, I'll take care of them, I really really hate people who complain about progress, especially since it's needed so badly here (presuming you guys aren't lying about vbulletin being crap for boards size )
We boards people joke about a lot of things, vbulletin being unsuitable for scaling a userbase is definitely not one of them.

Quote:
IIRC they haven't really started on the GUI yet, which is what the site will look like, the API is the actual internal workings of the site because boards is literally too big for it's boots.

Though, I'm making the presumption that the new search will be what the general layout will be like, simple and non-invasive.
We have started to look at the GUI but its a long process that involves designers and iterations upon iterations.

As to how it will look well I have no idea
(3) thanks from:
15-05-2012, 12:13   #20
Dav
Boards.ie Community Manager

I wonder what the "Dav Doorstep Challenge" might be...?

Anyway, Camtasia is probably what I'd be using for new video tutorials - very nice bit of kit and simple to use, have done a few bits and pieces with it (recording Skype interviews being the most frequent).

As for the UI and so on, well I'd started this thread to gague people's thoughts on how we organise categories etc as a pre-cursor to re-designing. We have also hired a new guy to work on UI/UX (User Interface/Experience in case you're wondering) and this will be a big part of what he's doing.

I have all sorts of mad-cap ideas of what we could do, but until such a time as they've been sanitised and made safe for public consumption, I shall have to keep them to myself
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
15-05-2012, 17:10   #21
waveform

Quote:
I still nominate waveform!! (If the college ones are a no-go)

http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia.html I think is the recorder used in most of the Youtube Tutorials I've watched....has a free trial.

Make the yellow circle nice and big wave!
I had something fancier and more personal in mind like this:

Except with Screen recordings also, perhaps playing a projeced image behind the Host, pointing like a weather lady (or person) at the various features or whatever!

But i guess a plain old screen recording with narration would be okay too.

Or you could have both, with the host in the corner of the screen like this.....

Last edited by waveform; 15-05-2012 at 17:12.
15-05-2012, 22:20   #22
minidazzler

Send a message via MSN to minidazzler Send a message via Skype™ to minidazzler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav View Post
As for the UI and so on, well I'd started this thread to gague people's thoughts on how we organise categories etc as a pre-cursor to re-designing. We have also hired a new guy to work on UI/UX (User Interface/Experience in case you're wondering) and this will be a big part of what he's doing.
As a matter of interest, is the new guy a long term boardsie? As in someone who knows the site and what people want from it? I (obviously) don't need or want to know who he is, but knowing he is a (semi-)longterm boardsie would definitely put my mind at ease that he knows what he's at
19-05-2012, 11:43   #23
boneyarsebogman

Send a message via MSN to boneyarsebogman
Psst I made this suggestion two years ago.

shameless stealing of potential credit

Thanks from:
19-05-2012, 16:08   #24
waveform

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyarsebogman View Post
Psst I made this suggestion two years ago.

shameless stealing of potential credit

I'm just surprised it's not asked every month tbh!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion