Time To End Internment - Release Marian Price and Martin Corey - Page 5 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

20-05-2012, 12:07   #61
fasttalkerchat

She should have been released legally but Owen Patterson intervened. Now she is being held on the seemingly blanket charge relating to Massareene. No evidence linking her to this was made available and as soon as this is thrown out of court, Patterson will have her rearrested and held for something else.
The last time something like this happened diplock judges were executed because their was no way politically or legally oppose what was happening.
Advertisement
20-05-2012, 13:13   #62
johnnyskeleton
Moderate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenian Army View Post
They should have brought a habeas corpus rather than JR. In JR they have to prove the decision was wrong, in a habeas, the State have to prove that the detention was lawful. If they don't have any documents about her being released then they can't prove that she was released on licence or what the terms of that licence were.

But again, it is presumably something that the Home Office will have a copy of, they tend to keep record of such things.
20-05-2012, 14:34   #63
oscarBravo
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
Price’s lawyers say that it is unreasonable to expect her to have retained a legal document from 30 years ago and that the fact that she didn’t should not be used against her.
Yeah, if I had received a royal pardon that guaranteed my freedom, I'd probably shred it the next day. Why would you want to hold on to something like that?

That article makes it clear that there are two conflicting claims. It's evidence of disagreement, not evidence of the truth of either claim. And yet, you and others clearly believe - with unshakable conviction - that her side of the story is the only possible truth.

That sounds like confirmation bias to me - you choose to believe things that support your existing beliefs, and to deny things that contradict them - but if there's any actual evidence to support her claim, I'd be interested in hearing about it.
21-05-2012, 14:27   #64
Pand

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarBravo View Post
Yeah, if I had received a royal pardon that guaranteed my freedom, I'd probably shred it the next day. Why would you want to hold on to something like that?
Surely you think the proof of existence of an important legal document like a Royal Pardon would be less likely to be "lost or shredded" by the Northern Ireland Office than by an individual who for all means and purposes should't require it anymore? But then I suppose, a lot of documents went missing in those days
26-05-2012, 01:08   #65
Fenian Army
Closed Account

Martin Corey

Some might have noticed that he was released on compassionate grounds to attend his brothers funeral on condition he was accompanied by two senior SF figures.

Quote:
Corey released to attend brother’s funeral

Published on Friday 25 May 2012 10:26

LURGAN republican Martin Corey was allowed temporary release to attend his brother’s funeral on Thursday after originally being barred from doing so.
http://www.lurganmail.co.uk/news/loc...eral-1-3882130

Martin Corey's imprisonment is in my opinion the greatest injustice of the post GFA era. He was imprisoned for life for killing two RUC men and spent twenty years behind bars, he was released in 1992.

However in 2010 the Brit Secretary of State revoked his license, why? Here's the kicker, he won't say. Merely said it was "closed material". This means that Martin can't appeal to get the decision judicially reviewed because he doesn't know why he is in jail. No charges, nothing.

This is a disgraceful violation of his human rights. Human rights are universal, otherwise they mean nothing, they can't be applied selectively.

Is a despicable situation where a man can be imprisoned and not even a reason given.
Advertisement
26-05-2012, 05:22   #66
bon ami
Banned

Human Rights

"Human rights are universal, otherwise they mean nothing, they can't be applied selectively"

Could not agree more Human rights are universal. OOPs did he deny the two RUC men the most basic human right when he murdered them?
26-05-2012, 09:09   #67
round tower huntsman

ah yes the auld mitchell principles again! he is being held like marian cos his views are anti establishment, tow the line or else.............shamefull reallly that pfs support such things.
26-05-2012, 12:46   #68
Rebelheart
Banned

Was I the only one to think this thread was about Martin Corry? (for those of you who never heard of him a quick perusal of that page will give you an idea of his, em, interesting solutions to British occupation)

Two IRA men with strikingly similar names. What are the odds!
26-05-2012, 13:30   #69
Fenian Army
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by bon ami View Post
"Human rights are universal, otherwise they mean nothing, they can't be applied selectively"

Could not agree more Human rights are universal. OOPs did he deny the two RUC men the most basic human right when he murdered them?
This is a rather pointless road to go down...

You could say the those RUC men and their organization collectively denied the rights of tens of thousands of people. As I said a rather pointless side track. But if an ex RUC man was imprisoned, or a loyalist, Unionist, fascist or whatever was imprisoned under the same circumstances as Martin Corey I would call for their release because their incarceration is an unjust one. Imprisoning someone and not even giving a reason is something which should not be allowed. The licensing system is being blatantly abused by a political figure, for political reasons. In a free society that should not happen.

Seen as I am a republican obviously I'd be more familiar with Martin Corey's case, but if you know of others imprisoned in the same manner I'd love to know of them.

The thing with human rights you see is that they don't apply only if a person lived a "good" life.
Advertisement
26-05-2012, 18:10   #70
Fenian Army
Closed Account

Good to hear Gerry Adams expressly call for her immediate release in his presidential address.
26-05-2012, 18:15   #71
Fenian Army
Closed Account

Quote:
The British Secretary of State has also made a number of unhelpful and unwarranted interventions, including his decision to revoke the licences of Martin Corey and Marian Price.

The British Secretary of State should go back to England where he belongs.

Marion Price and Martin Corey and Gerry McGeough, should be released immediately.
From Gerry Adams presidential address at the SF Ard Fheis
26-05-2012, 18:33   #72
fasttalkerchat

Quote:
Good to hear Gerry Adams expressly call for her immediate release in his presidential address.
It is good but it came much too late.
26-05-2012, 19:47   #73
round tower huntsman

better late then never, them political prisionors have been interned for over a yr each and only now beardy speaks out he's been shamed into speaking out imo. psf were looking very badly out of all this,especially to grassroots.
26-05-2012, 19:49   #74
round tower huntsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasttalkerchat View Post
It is good but it came much too late.
tbh its way way too late. its a face saving exercise by beardy cos psf were looking pretty bad on this one. he been shamed into speaking out really.
26-05-2012, 19:53   #75
Fenian Army
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by round tower huntsman View Post
tbh its way way too late. its a face saving exercise by beardy cos psf were looking pretty bad on this one. he been shamed into speaking out really.
I'd view it as a positive tbh, I dont know if he would speak out like this if he wasnt confident on movement... or maybe SF have just got fed up with the softly softly approach.

Either way I think republicans should focus on the prisoners rather than giving out about who should have done what and when. I agree it should have happened sooner, but the important thing is that it has. Its a positive development and should be welcomed as such.
Thanks from:
Thread Closed