Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2012 Cooking Club Week 35: Chicken & Mushroom Pie

• 10-05-2012 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭

Chicken & Mushroom Pie

Ingredients!
    Chicken - either whole or pieces on the bone.
    Smoked bacon
    Button Mushrooms
    2 x Carrots
    2 x Onions
    Bouquet Garni (or any herbs you have, thyme, bay leaf, parsley etc)
    6 black peppercorns
    Tarragon
    Some plain flour
    Frozen peas
    Puff Pastry

photo%25201.JPG

Method

I've adapted this from a Darina Allen recipe. While original is lovely, I did find
    it involved a bit too much faff, so I've streamlined it for weekday mealtimes. TBH I dunno if you'd notice the difference. If I do say so myself...

Righteo! The burd. Depending on what's on special really. I tend to get some chicken thighs & legs and use them. You can use a whole bird. Or what works really well is the left over roast chicken. Which saves time too.

SO!
    - Cut up your carrots & one onion and pop them into the pot with your chicken. If you're using a roast chicken carcass, remove the meat first and pop the bones in.
    - Add 6 peppercorns, bouquet garni (or whatever you have) and a good pinch of tarragon.
    - Cover the whole shebang with water and put into a high heat to get the pot boiling. So depending on if you've used raw chicken pieces or a cooked carcass, you'd be wanting to let the pot boil for 40-60 mins.

photo%25202.JPG

MEANWHILE...
    - Chop up your smoked bacon (or use lardons) and start to cook over a low heat. I don't bother putting butter or oil in here, I just let the meat liberate the fat and use that to cook the rest. Feel free to start the cooking process with butter if you wish!
    - Add a chopped onion to the bacon and let it sweat for a while. When soft add whole button mushrooms.

photo%25203.JPG

- When you're happy with your chicken stock, strain the liquid and add it to the bacon/onion/mushroom mixture.
    - Take some cooking liquid and make a paste with some flour and then add in as much as you need to make it nice and thick.
    - Remove the meat from the bones and pop into a ovenproof dish. Add in some frozen peas. I also rescue the carrots (if you're bothered) from the stock and pop these in too.
    - Pour in your sauce to the oven dish and then make a puff pastry hat for the top.
    - Brush the pastry with beaten egg & poke in a few vent holes.

Cook at 220C/Gas mark 8 for about 10 mins, and then reduce to about 200C/Gas Mark 6 for 15 - 20 mins.

photo%25201%25281%2529.JPG

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Sorry, my fault this was late. Olaola asked to use a previously submitted recipe, originally intended to be a stand-in recipe, and I've been away so I forgot to restore it. This is Week 35's recipe now.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Perfect, i was just think we havent had a pie in ages, i will be doing this next saturday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

think im going to make the pie along with these http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056740906

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

We had this last night, it was lovely.

17FD7753-8CFA-4E35-831B-96D75B15EC99-2175-000002E45287A515.jpg

Advertisement