Are Homeopathic products allowed for sale? - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Forum Closed  

09-05-2012, 19:04   #1
MadsL
Elevation: 5,023ft

Are Homeopathic products allowed for sale?

I'm suprised to see adverts allowing homeopathic products.

http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_homeopathic/

Are these not covered by the list of forbidden items?

Some items that may not be sold include: Stocks and securities, lottery tickets, illicit drugs, prescriptive devices and drugs

Prescription drugs and medical devices. Please note that the Medicinal Products (Prescription and Control of Supply) Regulations expressly prohibit the supply of any medicinal product, no matter which category it's in, by mail order. Furthermore, the Regulations define mail order so as to include the use of electronic means to transmit an order. Even a pharmacy or a pharmacist can't sell through the internet in this country.

So drugs that actually work are banned, but adverts sells 'magic pills'? Interesting.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
09-05-2012, 22:17   #2
Lazarus2.0
Adverts.ie Moderator

Medicinal Products (Prescription and Control of Supply) Regulations 2003 makes the distinction .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadsL View Post
So drugs that actually work are banned, but adverts sells 'magic pills'?
You also make the distinction .

And your argument is that Adverts shouldn't make the distinction ?

I dont necessarily disagree that some or maybe even all homeopathic products should be forbidden but if you want Admins to consider it (which I'm sure they will anyway) I cant help thinking a more cohesive argument would help your cause more than your OP .

* Note - pharmacy vs homeopathy is irrelevant here . Pharmaceutical products are prohibited from sale on Adverts by law .
09-05-2012, 22:20   #3
Tigger

It's water or sugar pills with drops of water on them

So let the fools be parted from their money
09-05-2012, 22:22   #4
Cork24
Banned

Homeopathic drugs are classed as organic... Their is no law on the sale of them,

but yet the EU want to ban 90% of the drugs.
09-05-2012, 22:24   #5
partyatmygaff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cork24 View Post
Homeopathic drugs are classed as organic... Their is no law on the sale of them,

but yet the EU want to ban 90% of the drugs.
How are they "organic"? It's just water and a bit of sugar (Which is "organic" only in the sense it contains carbon).

Tbh, they don't really fall under the category of drugs. Bottled water and beverages maybe.
Advertisement
09-05-2012, 23:22   #6
foggy_lad

Many of them carry warnings about pregnant women using them or children, I don't know squat about them but would think that they could contain absolutely anything much like head shop drugs which are banned so in my humble opinion anything that is seen as medicinal should be banned.
09-05-2012, 23:34   #7
partyatmygaff

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggy_lad View Post
Many of them carry warnings about pregnant women using them or children, I don't know squat about them but would think that they could contain absolutely anything much like head shop drugs which are banned so in my humble opinion anything that is seen as medicinal should be banned.
Why would they add chemicals? Chemicals cost money. Water is free.
Thanks from:
09-05-2012, 23:45   #8
mcmoustache

I'm thinking about getting in on the action.

I have a source of homeopathic medicines in my kitchen which should cover just about everything. In fact, I can even concoct a homeopathic treatment for stab-wounds by dipping a knife into a solution.

Seriously, what's to stop me from doing this and cluttering adverts.ie up with nonsense besides my conscience?
09-05-2012, 23:49   #9
mcmoustache

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggy_lad View Post
Many of them carry warnings about pregnant women using them or children
That's just to make them look like they might be effective. I'd like to see the study that shows homeopathic "medicine" is dangerous for pregnant women. As much as I hate homeopathy, it's perfectly safe and has almost no side effects. The solutions and pills contain nothing but water or sugars.
Advertisement
09-05-2012, 23:53   #10
campo

have to admit bought the teething gradual for my 10 month old and they were a life saver
10-05-2012, 01:19   #11
MadsL

Quote:
Originally Posted by campo View Post
have to admit bought the teething gradual for my 10 month old and they were a life saver
Yet some of the preparations for teething contain Belladonna - a poison taken in large enough doses. Of course, at homeopathic levels there is about a 1 in 10000 chance that there is a molecule of Belladona in them.

Quote:
I cant help thinking a more cohesive argument would help your cause more than your OP .
OK, is adverts comfortable with sellers selling sugar pills on the basis that they will cure a medical condition, especially when the products listed are aimed at children and recently pregnant women.

I could not sell tested and regulated paracetamol to cure your headache on adverts, yet someone could sell some water with some remote possibility of an 'active ingredient' in it to cure whatever you are having yourself.

I find that hard to swallow (pun intended)

Do you really think that you should allow this type of charlatanism on boards? The inconsistency is ridiculous - you cannot give medical advice on boards.ie but I can cure you on adverts??

I'd appreciate the admins considering this more carefully, I'm cooking up a batch of snake oil at the moment.
(2) thanks from:
10-05-2012, 01:23   #12
MadsL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
So let the fools be parted from their money
And the fools are giving them to their kids in place of medical attention.
Thanks from:
10-05-2012, 01:24   #13
foggy_lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadsL View Post
Yet some of the preparations for teething contain Belladonna - a poison taken in large enough doses. Of course, at homeopathic levels there is about a 1 in 10000 chance that there is a molecule of Belladona in them.

OK, is adverts comfortable with sellers selling sugar pills on the basis that they will cure a medical condition, especially when the products listed are aimed at children and recently pregnant women.

I could not sell tested and regulated paracetamol to cure your headache on adverts, yet someone could sell some water with some remote possibility of an 'active ingredient' in it to cure whatever you are having yourself.

I find that hard to swallow (pun intended)

Do you really think that you should allow this type of charlatanism on boards? The inconsistency is ridiculous - you cannot give medical advice on boards.ie but I can cure you on adverts??

I'd appreciate the admins considering this more carefully, I'm cooking up a batch of snake oil at the moment.
Don't know if it will turn out to be Snake oil but you've certainly opened up a can of worms
Thanks from:
10-05-2012, 01:39   #14
MadsL

Homeopathy. There's nothing in it.

10:23 Campaign against Boots selling Homeopathic 'remedies"

Mass 'overdose'.

10-05-2012, 02:06   #15
muffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by partyatmygaff View Post
Water is free.