Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-05-2012, 10:37   #1
passingthrough

minecraft on xbox

just saw its out now, has anyone played it yet. how does the new crafting work and is there servers of any kind?
Advertisement
09-05-2012, 11:40   #2
garysully1986

Send a message via Skype™ to garysully1986
Gonna pick it up later,

I watched a review on it last night and apparently it ports really well, There is a built in crafting recipe book when crafting anything.

You can play multiplayer but from what I seen the servers seem small, You will only be playing with other xbox users so I dont know how much an xbox can handle.

Only downside is the world seems small, apparently you can walk to the edge of the world in just over a minute.

Still looks to be a great game, Be good if we can get a boards server up and running.
09-05-2012, 11:54   #3
Tallon
Closed Account

I don't understand how they haven't been able to port it to a PC server. I think that will be it's only drawback
09-05-2012, 12:25   #4
garysully1986

I suppose its just down to the inferior specs on xbox.

Its a fairly lowend system in comparison to any average modern pc that can play minecraft. Even the size of the worlds alone I reckon would make the xbox red ring.

It would be fairly savage if we could download custom maps, that skyblock adventure thing you put up had me back into minecraft and at it for weeks!

Hopefully they will keep it updated as often as pc but its not likely!
09-05-2012, 12:27   #5
Tallon
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysully1986 View Post
I suppose its just down to the inferior specs on xbox.

Its a fairly lowend system in comparison to any average modern pc that can play minecraft. Even the size of the worlds alone I reckon would make the xbox red ring.

It would be fairly savage if we could download custom maps, that skyblock adventure thing you put up had me back into minecraft and at it for weeks!

Hopefully they will keep it updated as often as pc but its not likely!
But it only needs to render one chunk at a time, it's not like it's rendering the whole server
Advertisement
09-05-2012, 12:35   #6
garysully1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallon View Post
But it only needs to render one chunk at a time, it's not like it's rendering the whole server
Not an expert here by any means, But the size of some of the maps you can make on pc would crash an xbox I reckon, In order to get it to work you would probably only be able to load certain chunks at a time, Prob have to de render chunks already loaded in order to handle the size.
09-05-2012, 12:47   #7
Tallon
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysully1986 View Post
Not an expert here by any means, But the size of some of the maps you can make on pc would crash an xbox I reckon, In order to get it to work you would probably only be able to load certain chunks at a time, Prob have to de render chunks already loaded in order to handle the size.
That's the way it currently works!

The server is made up of 'chunks' when you walk into an are, it loads another chunk. All the pressure is on the server, and not the PC, so there is absolutely no reason the xbox couldn't handle it

Even if it was reduced frame rate, it would still be possible, and would really sell the game
09-05-2012, 12:54   #8
passingthrough

4j studios did say on their twitter page that at the moment its beta 1.6 versi (i think) on that was on pc and that they will be updating it regularly so hopefully they can fix a lot of these things over time
(2) thanks from:
09-05-2012, 13:26   #9
tylercollins

Send a message via Skype™ to tylercollins
I read a review that says if you already play on PC then don't bother wasting your time buying the xbox version.

The xbox version is a stripped down version of the PC.

Watched a few videos and looks to be like an old version of the PC one.
Advertisement
09-05-2012, 13:27   #10
tylercollins

Send a message via Skype™ to tylercollins
I read a review that says if you already play on PC then don't bother wasting your time buying the xbox version.

The xbox version is a stripped down version of the PC.

Watched a few videos and looks to be like an old version of the PC one.
09-05-2012, 14:06   #11
quarryman

Send a message via ICQ to quarryman Send a message via AIM to quarryman Send a message via MSN to quarryman Send a message via Yahoo to quarryman Send a message via Skype™ to quarryman
Coincidently loaded the PC version up last night after not having played in months (I didn't realise the xbox version was coming out today).

One thing that I was reminded of was how poorly the game performs considering how basic it looks. My PC is no sluch, i5 2500k, 8GB RAM but it still seems to draw a lot of power.

Why is this? Is JAVA that poor to implement games in?
09-05-2012, 20:32   #12
quarryman

Send a message via ICQ to quarryman Send a message via AIM to quarryman Send a message via MSN to quarryman Send a message via Yahoo to quarryman Send a message via Skype™ to quarryman
What does the 'Online Game' option mean when creating a game? I thought the Xbox version was single player only?
09-05-2012, 20:53   #13
Dcully

xbox version has no creative mode which is a real shame imo..
While i dont play creative myself ive had phone calls from some of my sons friends parents asking what the hell minecraft is and how they get it [they played it on my sons pc and fell in love].
Unless they had a pc or laptop they were screwed , i mentioned its coming to xbox but now they find out it doesnt have creative mode the net result is no purchase.

No mods,texture packs either, the core game is there with a very very user friendly crafting ui, no need to look up the wiki, tbh id like that on the pc version.

@quarryman i believe you can start a game and leave it open for friends to join you and viceversa.
10-05-2012, 11:20   #14
cherryghost
Frequent Support Feeder

Send a message via MSN to cherryghost Send a message via Yahoo to cherryghost Send a message via Skype™ to cherryghost
Played it last night. Found it very enjoyable. Might play it now and again, but its slightly stripped down compared to the PC. Hopefully they'll keep updating the 360 version.
10-05-2012, 11:51   #15
garysully1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherryghost View Post
Played it last night. Found it very enjoyable. Might play it now and again, but its slightly stripped down compared to the PC. Hopefully they'll keep updating the 360 version.
yeah I felt the same, Was overall happy that I bought it but feels very much like a beta release of minecraft. I thought the levels were gonna be alot smaller than they are. The game feels a little bit stiff as well when you have to use the controller.

Played it for a good few hours last night but and was fairly entertained.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion