Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-05-2012, 01:59   #31
charlemont
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie fish View Post
The incident happened on the Cork-Limerick road on Saturday morning, at about 7am. It happened within the Gurranabraher district. Earlier in the weekend, there was a stabbing in their district, and as a result the majority of the rescources were committed to that investigation. The victim died on sunday night from the stabbing incident.
Thats probably why there was only 2 patrol cars available.

Notice also the total absence of any women? Traveller women are not permitted at these events. Gardai expect to make more arrests later this week.
Because they got to stay at home the site and mind the children. Such is Traveller life. I'd reckon on those Gardaí that were there being from Blarney or Rathduff not Gurran, I think there is a station on the old Mallow road but I'm not sure wheter its open or not.
Advertisement
10-05-2012, 12:14   #32
Tyron Jara
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlemont View Post
Because they got to stay at home the site and mind the children. Such is Traveller life. I'd reckon on those Gardaí that were there being from Blarney or Rathduff not Gurran, I think there is a station on the old Mallow road but I'm not sure wheter its open or not.
Thats the blarney patrol car in the video
10-05-2012, 16:57   #33
msg11

Nice too see the RTA going out the window with the driving. That style of driving wouldn't even be found out in the wild west.
10-05-2012, 17:04   #34
TheChizler

Actually how would you go about forcibly stopping a horse and sulkie? I imagine boxing in or any contact would cause the horse to spook. In the video was the AGS car trying to stop the race or just push it over to the left hand carriageway? It would take a very brave driver to try and bring that whole event to a halt.
10-05-2012, 17:19   #35
meathstevie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlofnep View Post
The guy who recorded the video just posted this:

Something seriously wrong there. Time for AGS to come down hard on these guys.
The Cosa Nostra calls it "omerta", that may explain a thing or two or not...
Advertisement
10-05-2012, 17:51   #36
BrianD
Closed Account

That video is something else.

I wonder if there is something in official pursuit training to deal with this scenario?

The other guys seemed to have a rolling road block in place at one stage.

Was there more than one Garda car involved (an unmarked one)? I suspect that there's one efficient way to stop a sulky race but I wouldn't like to be in the car that does it.

Mind you the video evidence seems to be in abundance,
10-05-2012, 18:03   #37
meathstevie

Video has been removed from Youtube by the user, a bit late me thinks
10-05-2012, 18:32   #38
kub

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlofnep View Post
The guy who recorded the video just posted this:

Something seriously wrong there. Time for AGS to come down hard on these guys.
Now that is what is worrying me, not only can they write, but they can operate iphones, laptops and can actually post videos to youtube .
10-05-2012, 20:14   #39
dlofnep
Closed Account

Video re-uploaded:

Advertisement
10-05-2012, 20:24   #40
goldie fish
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlemont View Post
I'd reckon on those Gardaí that were there being from Blarney or Rathduff not Gurran, I think there is a station on the old Mallow road but I'm not sure wheter its open or not.
All in Gurran District. Old mallow road station does not cover there.
13-05-2012, 23:22   #41
Topper7

I saw 1 of these this morning (8.45) on my way to limerick. There was approx 30 cars/vans, approx 5 vehicles wide & 6-7 vehicles deep. It was the old Roscrea to Nenagh road just outside Dunkirrean. Scary enough when you relise whats going on & you need to react quickly! Strangely enough I saw the local squad comin back into the town a few miles ahead of them. The gaurd drivin it was on her own in d car. Anyways when I called it in (I got put through to Thurles) & I was told that they think the local gardai all ready knew but would pass on the message.

Ive also talked to a few lads that live locally and they said that it has happened on this strech of the road before, but its normally earlier (5/6am). Also the frequency of it on that strech has increased drmatically over the last year or so!

Is there anything that can be done by the gardai there & then to stop the race? Obviously sending 1 car with 1 member out when the next nearest car is at least 15-20 mins away is risky!? Personally I think a strong example should be set of anyone caught or else sulky races should be legalised & controlled (Pavee point trying to work on this??)
13-05-2012, 23:50   #42
Topper7

BTW dont want to interfere with protocall/procedures etc so mod please edit if its a problem.
14-05-2012, 08:14   #43
foreign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topper7 View Post

Is there anything that can be done by the gardai there & then to stop the race? Obviously sending 1 car with 1 member out when the next nearest car is at least 15-20 mins away is risky!? Personally I think a strong example should be set of anyone caught or else sulky races should be legalised & controlled (Pavee point trying to work on this??)
A line of JCB's with the front bucket down driving at full whack?

Or the scum could do what anybody else who wants to hold an event on a public road does and apply to the local authority to close the road and pay whatever cost is involved. They aren't short of money. No jobs and driving 12 reg vans and jeeps!
14-05-2012, 12:25   #44
BrianD
Closed Account

There was a similar incident on the N3 Blanchardstown bypass a few years back.

An enterprising Garda might requisition the services of a HGV if the opportunity presented itself?
14-05-2012, 15:30   #45
rosco12

and what if an innocent person was to crash into this HGV? the only solution is tougher penalties when these scum are brought before the courts. A fine (which they won't pay) is not deterrent enough.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion