David Wallace to retire - Page 3 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

03-05-2012, 17:46   #31
Yamanoto

I don't share the same sense of wistfulness as some have expressed, but completely understand it. The guy had a magical mix of power, pace, great hands and the x factor - a real intuitive feel for the game.

I'd imagine Wallace's career was hugely fulfilling for him personally and he's the kinda man who'll adapt and thrive in life after Rugby.

Some player.
Advertisement
03-05-2012, 17:56   #32
blackhound

I was already having a bad day, gutted to come on here and hear about this. What an absolute legend of the game and such a shame to see another player forced into retirement through injury. Wish him all the best with whatever he does after rugby.
03-05-2012, 18:04   #33
Dempsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinytwo View Post
i believe it was kidney that said, that wallace was the ony player he had ever seen who got fitter and stronger as he got older.
It was true though!

I wish him the best in whatever he does next, incredible player for Munster & Ireland
03-05-2012, 18:07   #34
Benny Cake

I was genuinely upset when this news broke today. I suppose we all knew it was on the cards but it doesn't make it easier to take... My interest in playing/watching rugby coincided with the beginning of Wallaces career & he has long since been a favourite of mine. Never brash or arrogant, no controversial interviews, no bullsh*t, just 100% commitment each and every day.
Had the pleasure of a pint with him in Kilkenny recently and he is every but the gentleman you would expect.

Best of luck Wally, a true Munster & Irish legend.
03-05-2012, 18:07   #35
Annabella1

Super player...........the rest of the family weren't bad either!
Advertisement
03-05-2012, 18:13   #36
danthefan
Closed Account

Fantastic player, best of luck to him in the future.
03-05-2012, 18:39   #37
errlloyd

Send a message via MSN to errlloyd
I just have memories of Wally running into what we now call "choke tackles" and literally thrashing furiously to break through, he didn't look for space, he created it. And he had the pace to use it!
03-05-2012, 19:02   #38
Cpt_Blackbeard

Absolutely incredible player and its a great shame that he had a couple of seasons cut from the twilight of his career.

I won't be able to do him justice, but I will say that he has been criminally underrated during his career and it is only recently that we've realised how good a player he really is. He would have seamlessly slotted into any backrow in the world in his prime, but he was wrongly never rated as an equal to BOD/POC/ROG.

A player of his sheer power and pace doesn't come around very often, and it'll take a long time before we can replace it.

Last edited by Cpt_Blackbeard; 03-05-2012 at 19:50.
(3) thanks from:
03-05-2012, 19:26   #39
Quint2010

My favourite ever Munster player. Best of luck to him.
Advertisement
03-05-2012, 19:42   #40
fitz

HMod: Skylarkin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Blackbeard View Post
Absolutely incredible player and its a great shame that he a couple of seasons cut from the twilight of his career.

I won't be able to do him justice, but I will say that he has been criminally underrated during his career and it is only recently that we've realised how good a player he really is. He would have seamlessly slotted into any backrow in the world in his prime, but he was wrongly never rated as an equal to BOD/POC/ROG.

A player of his sheer power and pace doesn't come around very often, and it'll take a long time before we can replace it.

Some great examples there of what I love about him as a player: just when you think the tackle has stopped him, he breaks out of it, or just powers on, or finds a gap. I don't think there are many players who were ever able to make as much ground as Wally after a tackle came in. Just astonishing.
(2) thanks from:
03-05-2012, 19:53   #41
Benny Cake

My wife asked that I also point out that he's f*cking gorgeous.... That is all....
03-05-2012, 19:58   #42
durkadurka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Cake View Post
My wife asked that I also point out that he's f*cking gorgeous.... That is all....
That was the consensus in the office today....,
03-05-2012, 20:10   #43
CIARAN_BOYLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabella1 View Post
Super player...........the rest of the family weren't bad either!
Any other family able to claim three brothers who are internationals, I mean other the Tuilagis there can't me many more out there. Is there any kids in the Wallace family likely to run out at a professional level?
03-05-2012, 20:15   #44
Benny Cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIARAN_BOYLE View Post
Any other family able to claim three brothers who are internationals, I mean other the Tuilagis there can't me many more out there. Is there any kids in the Wallace family likely to run out at a professional level?
All 3 played for the Lions in fact...
03-05-2012, 20:26   #45
irishbucsfan

And Richard is Ireland's all time leader in tries scored!

At sevens
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion