Dress code - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

02-05-2012, 22:58   #1
scamalert

Dress code

So gents need some opinions,im 25y old and my wardrobe is mostly full of tracksuits (nike,adidas reebok mostly),i have couple pairs of jeans but for the sake of god i hate wearing them for more then few hours,mostly because they are uncomfortable,hard material and never head a pair that would look ok on me,im normal build but small in height,i got couple of shirts and jumpers when going to club that i really like,but still i would never wear them at home or when going shopping etc.So the question is is it a low style to wear track suit most of the time (im sporty looking fella) and clothes are highest quality not likes of the pennys,dunnes, or socks in the trousers style pants type looking :] .So should i start changing the way i dress or is is completely normal so far ?I do like some clothing from jack and jones and such brands,but 99% teens in clubs or outside look nearly the same.BTW im from eastern europe so maybe thats in my blood ,and so how do you dress or used to dress at age of 20-25.
Advertisement
03-05-2012, 00:25   #2
baby and crumble

I'm not a guy, but I am of the opinion that tracksuits are the devil, and they look awful on just about everyone. If jeans are too hard on your skin, try something like the soft chinos you can get now.

Anyway, here's a good blog post on dressing in your 20's. Might be worth a look.
03-05-2012, 00:32   #3
ladhrann

Quote:
Originally Posted by scamalert View Post
So gents need some opinions,im 25y old and my wardrobe is mostly full of tracksuits (nike,adidas reebok mostly),i have couple pairs of jeans but for the sake of god i hate wearing them for more then few hours,mostly because they are uncomfortable,hard material and never head a pair that would look ok on me,im normal build but small in height,i got couple of shirts and jumpers when going to club that i really like,but still i would never wear them at home or when going shopping etc.So the question is is it a low style to wear track suit most of the time (im sporty looking fella) and clothes are highest quality not likes of the pennys,dunnes, or socks in the trousers style pants type looking :] .
Just like light beer, polyester is the invention of the Anti-Christ. Firstly do you have a decent wool suit, cotton shirt and silk tie and leather shoes for fomal events?
03-05-2012, 01:18   #4
scamalert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladhrann View Post
Just like light beer, polyester is the invention of the Anti-Christ. Firstly do you have a decent wool suit, cotton shirt and silk tie and leather shoes for fomal events?
dont have suit the rest yeah proper leather shoes and nice cotton shirt.for the poster with the link most of the pics ive seen in the site look like twilight fans style its just the feeling of tightness that irritates me.I do wear shirt and proper cotton trousers every day for work but the minute im in the house the clothes are of my body,its sorta the feeling of freedom that sportswear gives.
03-05-2012, 01:21   #5
Sauve
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby and crumble View Post
I'm not a guy, but I am of the opinion that tracksuits are the devil, and they look awful on just about everyone.
Harsh.
Tracksuits serve a purpose and suit plenty of people imo. Depends on the person.
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
03-05-2012, 01:32   #6
EdenHazard
Closed Account

How I dress personaly:
Plain V-Neck t-shirts-White/Black/Navy Blue/Purple- I get them from H&M and Topman, mainly H&M
Jeans-I only ever wear jeans, I like Hollister jeans but theres good ones as well in River Island and the likes if you look.
Cardigan-I have black and red cardigan
Varsity Jacket-I like them, you know the American football jackets?
Hoodies-I got like 5 American Apparel Hoodies
Checkered Shirts-I love lumberjack shirts so much, sadly they're really expensive(Superdry 95 quid)
High Tops-I think they make jeans, transform them completely, jeans with nike runners you get in jb sports look terrible imo.

Good point about dublin clubs, its really hard to be unique, I'm tryna mould my style but its taking time. I stay away from jack and jones and the likes anyway.
03-05-2012, 01:45   #7
barfizz

What image of yourself are you trying to show, that is the key question?

tracksuits and their like are only suitable going to and from the gym/sports ground, or for drug addicts, burglars or shoplifters.

what kind of girls are you trying to attract? if she wears "trackies" your in, if not then dress accordingly.
03-05-2012, 01:51   #8
scamalert

Quote:
Originally Posted by barfizz View Post
What image of yourself are you trying to show, that is the key question?

tracksuits and their like are only suitable going to and from the gym/sports ground, or for drug addicts, burglars or shoplifters.

what kind of girls are you trying to attract? if she wears "trackies" your in, if not then dress accordingly.
best post so far yeah gonna need to put some thought into what fits me really.
03-05-2012, 10:26   #9
D'Agger

First of all buy clothes that fit - if somethings nice but not quite fitting you well, leave it off unless you like it so much that you'd get it altered.

Personally I think plain tees are the way to go - tees with slogans on them are fine every now and again but imo they're slightly juvenile.

Pennys, H&M and Topman all do nice plain v-neck tees - slim fit ones that are quite nice.

Regarding Jeans - they're hard to shop for imo - I don't do it often but again go for a nice fit and what you're comfortable in - sometimes you have to 'break in jeans' give them a couple of wears and then you'll be comfortable in them.

Finally, I'd say chinos and coloured chinos are in and Pennys have some nice varieties for around €15 worth checking out.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
03-05-2012, 23:04   #10
Snowie
Closed Account

I live in trekking boots as there comfy... and jeans and a puffy jacket with no arms I've nice clothes to...

when I'm dressed up I'm wearing jeans and kinda cowardinated, I love sneakers own a pair of shoes a couple of shirts but begin honest i dress to the style I live, in and Im not going to dress like a some sort of office clown if I'm never near one.. I wear hoodies nice ones I'm 30 years old, i don't care the style of clothing i wear suits me and most importantly I like it...
Thanks from:
04-05-2012, 00:07   #11
EdenHazard
Closed Account

I love those sleeveless gilets(thinks thats what their called) quality.
04-05-2012, 11:49   #12
Napper Hawkins

Quote:
I'm not a guy, but I am of the opinion that tracksuits are the devil, and they look awful on just about everyone. If jeans are too hard on your skin, try something like the soft chinos you can get now.

Anyway, here's a good blog post on dressing in your 20's. Might be worth a look.
I'm actually in tears laughing at the tools in that.

At what point did dressing like the nerds from "Saved by the bell" become fashionable?!

Victims never change do they?
Thanks for brightening up my morning!
04-05-2012, 11:58   #13
Pembily

Quote:

Is rather see a guy in tracksuit bottoms than what they are wearing in that blog. Saying tracksuits are the devil and suggesting that is just odd

As others have said it depends on your look. Personally I wear what I'm comfortable in (yes I'm female but it's kinda irrelevant), what looks good on and clothes I like. I don't see how tracksuit bottoms at home and casual wear are an issue.
(2) thanks from:
04-05-2012, 12:37   #14
BraziliaNZ

That blog is hilarious, please ignore it!
04-05-2012, 15:00   #15
neil_

Honestly if you want to look even slightly respectable ditch the trackies. I would never wear them unless i was going out for the express purpose of exercising. I think with jeans you really just have to suck it up and try on every brand you can find until you get one thats comfortable for you. I find Levis 501s are nice and soft, well fitting but not skinny.

Above the waist i mostly vary between hoodies and zip neck jumpers. I think stuff like this

strikes a nice balance between being comfortable and casual and still looking smart, though i would go for a bolder colour than that picture.

Tshirts and shirts are largely irrelevant in ireland since they are typically hidden underneath about 3 other layers, but in general just aim for strong colours. I dont like checkered shirts because i always feel like they just kind of blend into the people around you like some sort of metrapolitan camouflage, but I've seen them looking ok on some people.

General tips:
- Dont wear anything with horizontal stripes if you're fat (and do if you're thin )

- Always buy clothes that are a reasonably tight fit. Not skintight, but if there's much room left over when you're in them they're too big. Literally any item of clothing will look scruffy if it's loose and baggy.

- Personal opinion but, i think any brand that has its name in giant letters on all its clothes (e.g. abercrombie) is terrible

- It's possible to dress very well without spending too much money, but it will be about a 1000x easier if you're willing to spend a few hundred on clothes per year. Places like debenhams, next etc usually have ridiculously good deals in the january sales.

- You can have your own style without looking radically different from everyone else. e.g. that jumper above looks smart but really boring and common. However if you get something similar with a tight fit and a better colour with some interesting features (stripes, patterns etc) and match it with good looking jeans, you instantly look better than about 80% of guys on the street.

- Short of wearing a tuxedo to the beach, it's basically impossible to overdress. You're just underdressing everyone else. Wear a formal suit to a nightclub sometime and see how it feels Don't ever be afraid of dressing "too fancy".

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion