Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

02-05-2012, 21:03   #1
McWotever

2000 Ford Focus Engine Problem

2000,Mk1 Focus, 1.4 petrol hatchback, circa 119k

Recently developed a problem which i initially thought was leakage from the badly rusted exhaust, replaced both the back and centre box but still have the same problem.

Sounds now like it could be a misfire?

On idle the engine seems fine, and the RPM needle is rock solid.
Revving in neutral also sounds fine.
But under any pressure, like accelerating, a slow, jerking acceleration is given. On cruise runs grand, but going uphill the same happens and will lose power, the needle also drops 50RPM or so before recovering.
Also fuel consumption has risen significantly.

I've dropped a bit of injector cleaner in a full tank today and ran it for 50 miles but still have the same problem.

Oil change, air and oil filters, HT lead change, plugs change all only circa 6k ago (3 months-ish). Any ideas wot could be the problem?

Plan to pop new plugs in tomorrow, but the old ones look fine. Trying to start at the cheapest option and working up!
Advertisement
02-05-2012, 21:14   #2
Andy013

[Quote=McWotever;78470175]2000,Mk1 Focus, 1.4 petrol hatchback, circa 119k

Recently developed a problem which i initially thought was leakage from the badly rusted exhaust, replaced both the back and centre box but still have the same problem.

Sounds now like it could be a misfire?

On idle the engine seems fine, and the RPM needle is rock solid.
Revving in neutral also sounds fine.
But under any pressure, like accelerating, a slow, jerking acceleration is given. On cruise runs grand, but going uphill the same happens and will lose power, the needle also drops 50RPM or so before recovering.
Also fuel consumption has risen significantly.

I've dropped a bit of injector cleaner in a full tank today and ran it for 50 miles but still have the same problem.

Oil change, air and oil filters, HT lead change, plugs change all only circa 6k ago (3 months-ish). Any ideas wot could be the problem?

Plan to pop new plugs in tomorrow, but the old ones look fine. Trying to start at the cheapest option and working up![/Quotei

I'd say your problem is the coil . Very Commen to go on the focus.
02-05-2012, 21:17   #3
McWotever

That has been mentioned to me alright....sounds expensive!
02-05-2012, 21:38   #4
Nissan doctor
Closed Account

There are two common causes of misfires on the Focus, failing coilpacks and water getting into the spark plug recesses due to the frost plugs in the cylinder head leaking.

Pop the plug leads off the plugs and have a look down into the recess to see of there is any water or major rust, in not then a coilpack is likely.
02-05-2012, 22:06   #5
McWotever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan doctor View Post
There are two common causes of misfires on the Focus, failing coilpacks and water getting into the spark plug recesses due to the frost plugs in the cylinder head leaking.

Pop the plug leads off the plugs and have a look down into the recess to see of there is any water or major rust, in not then a coilpack is likely.
By coilpack do you mean ignition coil?
Advertisement
02-05-2012, 22:11   #6
Nissan doctor
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by McWotever View Post
By coilpack do you mean ignition coil?

No I mean coilpack They are not quite the same thing. A Focus doesn't use an ignition coil.
02-05-2012, 22:17   #7
Andy013

[Quote=McWotever;78471631]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan doctor View Post

By coilpack do you mean ignition coil?[/Quote

Yes coil pack is the ignition coil. The frost plugs leaking are on the new shape 05 focus. So you don't have to worry about that. I think the coils are about 160 - 180. Had to get one last year for my car.
02-05-2012, 22:26   #8
McWotever

Don't say that! LOL

Looked at micks garage they are saying €40ish.

Unless the figure you are quoting is supplied and fitted in a garage? Looks like a handy enough DIY job to test and replace.
02-05-2012, 22:28   #9
Nissan doctor
Closed Account

[QUOTE=Andy013;78471874]
Quote:

By coilpack do you mean ignition coil?[/Quote

Yes coil pack is the ignition coil. The frost plugs leaking are on the new shape 05 focus. So you don't have to worry about that. I think the coils are about 160 - 180. Had to get one last year for my car.

The same engine was used in the later model Mk1 focus as well with the same problems.
Advertisement
02-05-2012, 23:45   #10
Hal1

Get an OEM one if you need it replaced. A spurious coilpack won't last. Speaking from experience here!
03-05-2012, 11:07   #11
Nissan doctor
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal1 View Post
Get an OEM one if you need it replaced. A spurious coilpack won't last. Speaking from experience here!

Cheap spurios ones don't last.
03-05-2012, 18:52   #12
McWotever

Coil pack replaced as were the plugs, and no improvement.

No corrosion on HT leads.

Noticed a small leak from the exhaust, from the new joint between the cat and the centre box, ran out of exhaust sealant so still a small leak, that wouldnt cause the problem would it?

Meant to say that the engine thru a certain range interfered with the radio, which led me to believe it was a HT problem.

At a loss now, think i'll have to bite the bullet and get a diagnostic ran on it.
03-05-2012, 21:57   #13
Nissan doctor
Closed Account

Quote:
Coil pack replaced as were the plugs, and no improvement.

No corrosion on HT leads.

Noticed a small leak from the exhaust, from the new joint between the cat and the centre box, ran out of exhaust sealant so still a small leak, that wouldnt cause the problem would it?

Meant to say that the engine thru a certain range interfered with the radio, which led me to believe it was a HT problem.

At a loss now, think i'll have to bite the bullet and get a diagnostic ran on it.

Replaced with a new coilpack or second hand?

If new then use a spray bottle to spray water over the HT leads while the engine is running. If there is a break anywhere you may see the spark coming out of any damaged area.
03-05-2012, 22:44   #14
McWotever

Brand new. Will try that trick in the mornin.

Tested both old and new coil pack with a multimeter, both gave the same reading, both outside of the range stated in the Haynes manual.
03-05-2012, 23:36   #15
George Dalton

Did you gap the plugs before you fitted them?
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion