Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BROKEN TIMING BELT!!!!!!! OMG , LOL

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

argosy2006 wrote: »
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1980-MERCEDES-300-SD-TURBO-/140742002298?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item20c4e0867a

I was gonna buy this to replace by car
    But it auction ended as i was on this thread ironically,
    No timing belt lol
    No electronics, 50 year tax
    sold for 2500$ I missed out

Bidding ended so not available :(

Anyway could be that the mechanic who did the work made a mistake or whatever, worth getting it checked out, see the DIY forum and a Nissan Doctor thread about a failed belt for info.

I'd definitely follow up on it, first with the guys who did the work, then if necessary with a second opinion and be prepared for a long hard slog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I dunno, Pretty sure the d5 is all volvo engine,
    Yeah, but a dirty complex fecker with a squeezed in gearbox, the whole lot shoehorned into a bay that was begging for 6" more either side. Lovely car though, bit moot now though.. On the plus side, I'd imagine it would weigh well over a bridge....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Mechanic did indeed supply all parts and orders all the stuff needed to do belt, tensioners waterpump,
    And vacuum pump for brakes, unrelated but another 500 plus for that part,

Just out of curiosity how much were the timing belt parts?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

Stheno wrote: »
    Bidding ended so not available :(

Anyway could be that the mechanic who did the work made a mistake or whatever, worth getting it checked out, see the DIY forum and a Nissan Doctor thread about a failed belt for info.

I'd definitely follow up on it, first with the guys who did the work, then if necessary with a second opinion and be prepared for a long hard slog.

Car is with a ex volvo mechanic,
    See car failed to turn over,This is how it all began,, Now i thought ok its starter,As there was the normal click, like a stuck starter, maybe a battery,,
    SO it got new battery, No difference, Then it when to get new starter,
    And auto electrican done that, He fitted new starter, It failed to solve problem, so he put back on old starter, charged a 100, for looking it over and fitted it ,then putting back on old one,,
    He gave me number to a ex volvo mechanic who is a volvo expert,
    He rang today, said timing belt is broke, valves bent, Hense why it can not turn over,
    SO yea its a funny ,No long hard slog here, I'll just let it go,
    I will tell mechanic , see what he thinks

Just out of curiosity how much were the timing belt parts?

Dunno off hand,
    I'll find receipt and post it tomorrow,

• Advertisement

Car is with a ex volvo mechanic,
    See car failed to turn over,This is how it all began,, Now i thought ok its starter,As there was the normal click, like a stuck starter, maybe a battery,,
    And auto electrican done that, He fitted new starter, It failed to solve problem, so he put back on old starter, charged a 100, for looking it over and fitted it ,then putting back on old one,,
    He gave me number to a ex volvo mechanic who is a volvo expert,
    He rang today, said timing belt is broke, valves bent, Hense why it can not turn over,
    SO yea its a funny ,No long hard slog here, I'll just let it go,
    I will tell mechanic , see what he thinks

Compared to when you replaced it, what was the interval? With my car (it's an alfa :D) its 36000 miles or 3 years, and woe betide you if you risk it :)

Compared to when you replaced it, what was the interval? With my car (it's an alfa :D) its 36000 miles or 3 years, and woe betide you if you risk it :)
    THis car has less than 2000 miles since replacemnt,
    and interval on these is very high if i remember, 100,000 plus,, if i,m not wrong,

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3152973
    Identical to this one, color engine, interior,

THis car has less than 2000 miles since replacemnt,
    and interval on these is very high if i remember, 100,000 plus,, if i,m not wrong,

I meant what was the max replacement mileage/years limit before a new belt was required and did you meet it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Argosy, what's your next motor? Will you go for an older Merc or was that just a rebound affair? Volvo RIP.:)

• Advertisement

And auto electrican done that, He fitted new starter, It failed to solve problem, so he put back on old starter, charged a 100, for looking it over and fitted it ,then putting back on old one,,............

Sorry to hear about the belt etc but that auto spark is a disgrace to take €100 off you, he should have been able to diagnose the starter as not being the issue.

Pottler wrote: »
    Argosy, what's your next motor? Will you go for an older Merc or was that just a rebound affair? Volvo RIP.:)

yes a older Merc, 1980 300sd is what i would like,
    something mint out of states, i only drive local, and they are ultra reliable anyway, would go to the moon and back, and cruise at 80 mph with ease.

RoverJames wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about the belt etc but that auto spark is a disgrace to take €100 off you, he should have been able to diagnose the starter as not being the issue.

I dunno, he was 2 hours or more on it, PLus removing starter, fitting new one, the putting back on old one,
    PLus plugging it into laptop, As i assumed it was a eletrical problem that it would not start,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

OP since you say the garage you used is well respected then surely the best thing you could do is get the car back to them. They will have warranty with the supplier of the belt if it was a component failure and insurance to cover costs if it was a mistake made on their part. Jumping to conclusions on an internet forum isn't going to get you too far.

On a separate note that auto electrician was a clown for even getting as far as changing the starter motor when the engine was locked up. If I made a basic mistake like that I wouldn't have the neck to charge the customer for my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Most decent T/B kit manufactures will give a 10k mile or 1 year warranty. Bring the car back to where the belt was replaced and they should be sorting it. Having sold and still selling T/B kits, the usual proceedure is the kit and car gets fixed and the manufacture will then test the parts to find out how it happened. Once manufacture defect is confirmed they will pay all the cost for getting car back on road. They will give a report as to what the feel went wrong should the parts failing due to non manufacture reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

any garage worth their salt should assist you.

Not true unfortunately. I personally know where a large Mercedes dealer in the Midlands point blank refused to compensate where an E200 belt snapped a few hours after they had fitted it. Mercedes Ireland also refused to cover it. An absolute shower of ****. Privately, this businessman was told that they're well aware of this known fault that caused this (of course they are, all of the trade knows) but publicly he could sling his hook. No more Mercedes for him... Or me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Dunno off hand,
    I'll find receipt and post it tomorrow,

I bought Gates kits cheaper on eBay than my independent Cit mechanic could source. You cannot get better than a Gates. But irrelevant if a guy can't time it correctly. Bit of a slog on your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

if it ran for 2000 miles then it was probably fitted and timed correctly so it must be a manufacturing fault so the op should get some assistance

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Not true unfortunately. I personally know where a large Mercedes dealer in the Midlands point blank refused to compensate where an E200 belt snapped a few hours after they had fitted it. Mercedes Ireland also refused to cover it. An absolute shower of ****. Privately, this businessman was told that they're well aware of this known fault that caused this (of course they are, all of the trade knows) but publicly he could sling his hook. No more Mercedes for him... Or me.

That's interesting. Maybe you could tell us what kind of Mercedes E200 (or Mercedes of any kind for that matter) even has a timing belt??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

That's interesting. Maybe you could tell us what kind of Mercedes E200 (or Mercedes of any kind for that matter) even has a timing belt??

do you think its a chain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

An Ri rua wrote: »
    You cannot get better than a Gates.

yes you can, not knocking gates, but there are as good and better out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

It also sound very strange that the engine can't turn over. If the belt broke then the valve get belt out of the way and the crank spins freely.

Does the mechanic who has the car now know that the timing belt was changed recently?

On the other hand, it is certainly possible for the belt to last for 2k before snapping if its has been tensioned incorrectly. @OP, any noises etc from the engine after the timing belt change?

If it was incorrectly fitted or a faulty component then there is no question that the garage should cover the costs of repair for you immediately, they can then recoup the cost from either their insurance or the component manufacturer.

So mechanic said there was oil on belt, That there must be a oil leak and that is reason it broke,
    But there is barely a drop of oil on belt, No wet oil,
    Put it this way you could run your finger up along belt and have a slight black coat of blackness on your finger, NO wet oil,

Lol
    Geez what part of a car does not have blackness on it,
    %21B7DBQJgCGk%7E$%28KGrHqN,%21g0EyrwpLPRQBMzHD%29wI8w%7E%7E-1_35.JPG

If you were to rub your finger on any part of metal , cogs, belt,bolts in this pic you would get black coat of dirt on finger,ITS A CAR, GEEZ

NO WET BLACK OIL,

It also sound very strange that the engine can't turn over. If the belt broke then the valve get belt out of the way and the crank spins freely.

Does the mechanic who has the car now know that the timing belt was changed recently?

On the other hand, it is certainly possible for the belt to last for 2k before snapping if its has been tensioned incorrectly. @OP, any noises etc from the engine after the timing belt change?

If it was incorrectly fitted or a faulty component then there is no question that the garage should cover the costs of repair for you immediately, they can then recoup the cost from either their insurance or the component manufacturer.

Tension to me seems at fault,
    At there are rips to one edge of belt,Like it was running on edge, can see clearly one edge of belt been ripped and chipped and torn all along one edge,Like it was trying to come off of cogs and was rubbing agaisnt something until it snapped,

Snapped is key, This thing snapped,Not got eating away by black oil,
    Plus black oil would not eat belt,It would protect it ,

Vegatable oil eats rubber, Not engine oil,,,,,, That protects,
    Plus it would be long drawn out process, Belt is only new FFS

Tension to me seems at fault,
    At there are rips to one edge of belt,Like it was running on edge, can see clearly one edge of belt been ripped and chipped and torn all along one edge,Like it was trying to come off of cogs and was rubbing agaisnt something until it snapped,

Snapped is key, This thing snapped,Not got eating away by black oil,
    Plus black oil would not eat belt,It would protect it ,

Vegatable oil eats rubber, Not engine oil,,,,,, That protects,
    Plus it would be long drawn out process, Belt is only new FFS

If its all frayed on one side there your likely looking at a failed or incorrectly fitted guide/tensioner, this would cause the belt so move to one side and rub off either the engine block or the timing belt covers.

Engine oil makes rubber softer....softer timing belt is bad and its life will be greatly reduced. But, if the belt isn't even wet then I wouldn't be convinced that is the problem anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

lol

Two pics of belt,
    I see no wet black oil
    I do see a belt that has been running to one side and hitting something, as its ripped all along edge,

That damage on the belt in the second picture looks more like a foreign object got into the belt. Loose nut or something perhaps.

It doesn't look like damage from running off center IMO and it certainly isn't oil contamination.

That damage on the belt in the second picture looks more like a foreign object got into the belt. Loose nut or something perhaps.

It doesn't look like damage from running off center IMO.

Cool, Never thought of that,
    Good theory

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Might be thinking of the Drive Belt

216541d1232487961t-coolant-leak-c230clcp.jpg

Never seen an MB with a timing belt.

Advertisement