Shellac Nails that won't stay on!! - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

24-04-2012, 23:36   #1
Gurks187

Shellac Nails that won't stay on!!

Hi,

I have had shellac nails applied on 3 different occasions by 2 different nail salons and the longest they have lasted is 2 days!!

They then literally start to peel off my fingers which is not ideal!

Has anyone else had this problem?? I went back to the beautician each time and was eventually told that it must have something to do with the oils in my nails.

I really want to get a 3 week manicure so does anyone know if there is any solution or would any other brand actually stay on??
Advertisement
25-04-2012, 11:47   #2
abrr1000

It sounds like its down to your nails - mine always stays on for 2 weeks.

You should maybe try Jessica's Gelish (I think that's the name of it) - the difference is they file the surface of the nail first to make it rough and make the polish adhere better.

I have heard that people find it lasts better than shellac but then shellac doesnt damage nails because you don't need to file the surface to apply shellac.
25-04-2012, 19:26   #3
kandr10

I've had the peeling before too. I've found it largely depends on the person doing the application, not even just the salon. I suppose though, the more reputable the salon, the better the training of staff and hopefully the more consistent they'd be.
(2) thanks from:
25-04-2012, 21:22   #4
dudara
Category Moderator

I've had mixed results with the 2 week types of manicure (Gelish, Geleration, Shellac etc). Some last better than others, but they tend to chip, sometimes even after 12 hrs! Having said that, the technician and their skill level makes a massive difference.

The best results are from the full gel nails (like Bio Sculpture) which have always lasted the full 3 weeks for me. The only reason I get them changed is because of the regrowth and the fact that I'm bored of the colour.
25-04-2012, 21:38   #5
Valentina

If your nails are naturally very oily then gels may not be for you. I did a gel course last year and the instructor advised that sometimes really oily nails just don't allow the gels to adhere properly, no matter how well you prep the natural nail. Very young people can have oily nails which means the gels come off. Having said that though, I do BioSculpture gels and did them for my 15 year old niece and she had no issues with them lifting or peeling.
Advertisement
25-04-2012, 22:33   #6
Gurks187

Thanks everyone, going to give it one more go with the bio or jessica in a really good (and prob expensive place) and if that doesn't work, il just give up!!
26-04-2012, 14:10   #7
ibarelycare
cruel & unforgiving

Send a message via MSN to ibarelycare
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudara View Post
I've had mixed results with the 2 week types of manicure (Gelish, Geleration, Shellac etc). Some last better than others, but they tend to chip, sometimes even after 12 hrs! Having said that, the technician and their skill level makes a massive difference.

The best results are from the full gel nails (like Bio Sculpture) which have always lasted the full 3 weeks for me. The only reason I get them changed is because of the regrowth and the fact that I'm bored of the colour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonWhore View Post
If your nails are naturally very oily then gels may not be for you. I did a gel course last year and the instructor advised that sometimes really oily nails just don't allow the gels to adhere properly, no matter how well you prep the natural nail. Very young people can have oily nails which means the gels come off. Having said that though, I do BioSculpture gels and did them for my 15 year old niece and she had no issues with them lifting or peeling.

What are BioSculpture nails like? I've never heard of them! Would they be more like shellac or gel nails? Do they add any extra length to your nails or just go by your own natural length?
26-04-2012, 14:25   #8
pencilsharp

Do you wash your hands/get your hands wet a lot? I wash my hands 10+ times a day in work and shellac never last more than two days on me for this reason.
26-04-2012, 22:46   #9
Valentina

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarelycare View Post
What are BioSculpture nails like? I've never heard of them! Would they be more like shellac or gel nails? Do they add any extra length to your nails or just go by your own natural length?
They're a gel nail but they don't contain acrylic so can be soaked off as opposed to filed off. You can have them applied over your natural nail or you can use the BioSculpture Sculpting Gel to add length or repair breaks in the natural nail.

I've been getting gels done for about three years and have tried all different brands (BioSculpture, Shellac, Creative, Jessica Geleration) but I found Bio to be the best as I've never experienced colour fade, lifting/chipping/peeling and I have with the others. I horse ride and swim a lot in my spare time and in work I would type a lot and pick at staples etc but my nails are always perfect. As dudara said, I also only change the colour because the regrowth is too noticeable (usually around 3 weeks).

Nails Inc offer the treatment for about €70 last time I checked or you can find it cheaper through a freelancer. Some places will tell you your nails will be stronger after gel treatments. I don't think this is true. I always had weak, brittle nails and after the gels my nails are still the same. When I have the gels on my nails are tough and strong but when I remove them they are back to their usual weak state.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
26-04-2012, 23:35   #10
dudara
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarelycare View Post
I always get my nails trimmed back to just flush with the tip of the finger. The Bio Sculpture then goes on like a nail polish, so I end up with short, perfect nails. Over the 3 weeks, they will grow plenty.

Just to add, I think they cost €60 for me before in BT. I also recently a saw a new salon on Parnell St called Nail Chic (I think) where they are listed at €55
Thanks from:
27-04-2012, 09:28   #11
ibarelycare
cruel & unforgiving

Send a message via MSN to ibarelycare
Thanks girls. Definitely seem like something I'd like to go for. Quite pricey though!!! I'll do some research
28-04-2012, 10:24   #12
ju_q

I'm sure there are a few different reasons that the shellac hasn't lasted on you - not sure if washing your hands would make too much difference as I wore shellac on hols for the past two years and thought that the in and out of the pool would affect it, but it actually lasted the whole 15 days (and a couple more when I got home!)

I have had a couple of issues in the past with it peeling off, but I think that was because the therapist wasn't careful enough putting it on. If the gel comes in to contact with the skin on wither side of your nail it stops the gel from adhering properly to the edge of the nail and so it starts to life after only a day or so.

Trial and error really - find a good salon I suppose! Also I did the gelerations once (not by choice - I booked shellac and they didn't tell me until I got there for the appointment that it was actually geleration ) Did a good bit of damage to my nails as they file it off rather than soaking it off - she was a little vicious and my fingers were sore for days!!!

Hope you find one that suits!
Thanks from:
17-05-2012, 23:16   #13
Gurks187

To update... Got Gelish nails applied 2 weeks ago and there is absolutely no sign of them coming off!!

I happened to be in London so got them done over there and I sm delighted with the results! The filing on the nail to allow the police to hold is very minor do not worried about the quality of my nails at all!!

Just hope now I can find somewhere as good in Dublin!
17-05-2012, 23:41   #14
Tabitharose

on the bio sculpture, I got them done almost two weeks ago in a place I hadn't been before & was & am very happy with them - Pink Candy on James St for €35

just remembered, one of the salons in Rathmines does them for the same price, but I haven't been there & can't remember the name... google'd find it pretty quick for anyone who's interested

Last edited by Tabitharose; 17-05-2012 at 23:47. Reason: to add stuff
18-05-2012, 12:25   #15
Valentina

Wow €35 is very cheap for Biosculpture! Is that a special offer or is it always that price?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion