Govt spending €10 million on PS/CS car parking facilities - Page 2 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

24-04-2012, 14:11   #16
kevincaomhin

Quote:
Originally Posted by davet82 View Post
if its costing the state money then stop paying for the parking but if some people are gettin free parking because its available and is costing nobody any money then let them have it
Agree. But I think they should go a step further. Look at all Departments that have free parking (i.e. not privately rented) available (e.g. Custom House, Hawkins House, Govt Buildings) and assign those spaces to Civil Servants on the basis of lack of public transport and distance travelled to work.
(i.e. a Clerical Officer commuting from Kinnegad should be more entitled to a space than a Principal officer from Rathgar.)
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
24-04-2012, 14:13   #17
juan.kerr
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevincaomhin View Post
Agree. But I think they should go a step further. Look at all Departments that have free parking (i.e. not privately rented) available (e.g. Custom House, Hawkins House, Govt Buildings)
Or better still rent them out to the private sector.
24-04-2012, 14:14   #18
davet82
Closed Account

Quote:
(i.e. a Clerical Officer commuting from Kinnegad should be more entitled to a space than a Principal officer from Rathgar.)
management makes the decsions buddy, i do agree but not in a million years would that happen
Thanks from:
24-04-2012, 14:15   #19
davet82
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan.kerr View Post
Or better still rent them out to the private sector.
ah-ha i though nobody in the private sector had any money!
24-04-2012, 14:15   #20
micropig
Closed Account

Quote:
management makes the decsions buddy, i do agree but not in a million years would that happen
But don't the non-management staff have unions to speak for them?
Advertisement
24-04-2012, 14:16   #21
mikemac1

PS Public Sector
PS Private Sector

We need something better
(2) thanks from:
24-04-2012, 14:18   #22
gazzer

Quote:
Agree. But I think they should go a step further. Look at all Departments that have free parking (i.e. not privately rented) available (e.g. Custom House, Hawkins House, Govt Buildings) and assign those spaces to Civil Servants on the basis of lack of public transport and distance travelled to work.
A lot of government departments only have limited parking though. I worked in 3 different government departments and never had parking. In fact in one of the offices (Revenue) there was (on average) a 5 year waiting list. You only moved up that waiting list if somebody retired, left the dept on a promotion or died.

In Agriculture on Kildare St you only get parking for a portion of the year (3 months I think).

I agree that the limited spaces should be divied out based on where the person is commuting from and not how long you have worked there.
24-04-2012, 14:19   #23
juan.kerr
Closed Account

Quote:
ah-ha i though nobody in the private sector had any money!
You mean other than the Banks and all the developers that Nama is funding?
24-04-2012, 14:27   #24
davet82
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by micropig View Post
But don't the non-management staff have unions to speak for them?
true but i still couldnt see it happening imo

if you are a receptionist in a big multi national company, ya dont park in the ceo's spot now, its the chain of command and i think it would be very hard to justify even in the PS
Advertisement
24-04-2012, 14:27   #25
davet82
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan.kerr View Post
You mean other than the Banks and all the developers that Nama is funding?
ok point taken
24-04-2012, 14:53   #26
Doc Ruby

I don't see this as being too unreasonable to be honest, lots of private companies supply parking or give parking allowances to employees. There's plenty of more serious things to get outraged about in government spending.
(3) thanks from:
24-04-2012, 15:04   #27
Zebra3

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmanw8 View Post
BUT:....most of the car parking space is in NAMA and therefore if it's not paid for, the same taxpayer will be the one to foot the bill.
You got a link to back that up?
Thanks from:
24-04-2012, 15:07   #28
mikemac1

Quote:
Kinnegad?

Hmmm, if only we could move civil service jobs out to Tom Parlon country and then there would be no commute

What a great idea
Thanks from:
24-04-2012, 15:30   #29
nox001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghandee View Post

When will the rest of us start to get fuel allowances, and paid for parking spaces? Some folk seem to be paid a salary, but other day to day expenses, (fuel, parking spaces etc etc) get paid out on top of that.
A number of multinational companies provide fuel cards and car allowances/company cars to people of a certain grade, I see no reason why the public sector shouldn't do the same. Parking is an necessity not a privilege and should be provided by all employers imo.

However certain people are blinded by the begrudgery bandwagon when it comes to the public sector.
(2) thanks from:
24-04-2012, 15:34   #30
micropig
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by nox001 View Post
A number of multinational companies provide fuel cards and car allowances/company cars to people of a certain grade, I see no reason why the PS shouldn't do the same.

However certain people are blinded by the begrudgery bandwagon when it comes to the PS. Also parking is an necessity not a privilege and should be provided by all employers imo.
Is there a lack of public transport to Kildare Street/ the other ineer city places mentioned? Luas Park & Ride.

What about decentralisation..I'm sure there would have been ample car parking space in towns other that Dublin, but ye didn't want that.

Do multi nationals take money from the Exchequer to mother their staff with fuel cards and parking?

Also go work in the private sector if the benefits are so much better.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion