Feedback Thread **READ POST #1 IN FULL** - Page 23 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: The Moderation of the Soccer Forum is...
Too Strict 32 25.20%
Spot On 36 28.35%
Too Lenient 59 46.46%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Closed  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
01-05-2012, 15:09   #331
amiable
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Here
Posts: 12,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavredking View Post
Does that mean we can ban KindgomYid so?

I think it should certainly be reported if it causes offence as it would touch a nerve with some poster's.

It is a term of racism at the end of the day, maybe not as personal to some as it is to others but I think any abuse and casual racism should be stamped out.

Just my 2 cents.
I'd agree with you. Just because the Spurs fans use it doesn't mean it's not a racist term. I'm well aware of the chant 'Yid Army' chanted by Spurs fans.

IMO it's better off being stamped out as it's a racist term.
I've seen Arsenal fans calling Spurs fans Yids and I'm pretty certain they are not being complimentary when using the word.
To be fair I don't think they are being malicious and there's a certain amount of ignorance involved.
amiable is offline  
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
03-05-2012, 23:51   #332
PHB
Registered User
 
PHB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 21,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by daithijjj View Post
It was possible until the start of this season , i see no reason why it cant be again.

Personally, i see no purpose in someone taking a moderator position is a soccer forum if they arent willing to sit in a few/some/alot of match threads during the year.

If its the case that things have changed and its generally accepted by everyone that a soccer mods remit is to dip in and out at leisure, reading posts made days earlier and dishing out yellows, fine (i might even put my name forward ), but at the same time, that makes the entire forum laborious to read because it just leads to all parties insulting each other whilst skirting within the rules.

Essentially, given time, what you would be left with is alot of good posters not bothering their hole with the place, posters with a fleeting interest in the soccer forum winding everyone up for what can be days, and posters who are willing to put up with it but step out of line eventually. Boards then becomes no better than any other forum........it used to be very good but not this year.
A. You've really no idea how much time people spend moderating. You paint it as if mods not online for days is a common occurrence. It's not. The odd time there is a gap, but that should be fixed by more mods.
B. Some match threads don't kick off. Some do. Near impossible to predict, bar anything with Liverpool and United.
C. People are volunteers, not employees. Frankly, what you think is an appropriate amount to mod is something that the vast majority of current mods could not give. They have, ya know, jobs.
D. I'd have as many mods as we possibly could, the problem is it's extremely difficult to find people who you could actually trust to mod.

If you really think it's required, I suggest you take it past this feedback to a general point about professional moderation. Because that's the only way it'll work at the level you think is required.

Frankly, I think the entire issues raised by people is about volume. The sheer volume of posters is unreal, match threads are impossible to follow because there are so many posters. Debates are less in depth. It's just the nature of growth. I think a further subdivision of super threads would be welcome, but I can't for the life of me figure out how.

Last edited by PHB; 03-05-2012 at 23:57.
PHB is offline  
Thanks from:
04-05-2012, 05:04   #333
daithijjj
Registered User
 
daithijjj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sligo/Dublin/Birmingham/Bristol
Posts: 8,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHB View Post
A. You've really no idea how much time people spend moderating. You paint it as if mods not online for days is a common occurrence. It's not. The odd time there is a gap, but that should be fixed by more mods.
B. Some match threads don't kick off. Some do. Near impossible to predict, bar anything with Liverpool and United.
C. People are volunteers, not employees. Frankly, what you think is an appropriate amount to mod is something that the vast majority of current mods could not give. They have, ya know, jobs.
D. I'd have as many mods as we possibly could, the problem is it's extremely difficult to find people who you could actually trust to mod.

If you really think it's required, I suggest you take it past this feedback to a general point about professional moderation. Because that's the only way it'll work at the level you think is required.

Frankly, I think the entire issues raised by people is about volume. The sheer volume of posters is unreal, match threads are impossible to follow because there are so many posters. Debates are less in depth. It's just the nature of growth. I think a further subdivision of super threads would be welcome, but I can't for the life of me figure out how.
A. If it wasn't a common occurrence then why does the forum need 3 more mods......and maybe more?. Des made the point, i wont repeat it. Its not all about user volume.

B. Id say 99% of the users could predict what match threads could/can/will kick off.

C. Its been repeatedly said that 24/7 coverage is a ludicrous notion, what people imo expect from a mod of Soccer is some coverage Sat/Sun, Mon evening if theres a game on TV and Euro games Tues/Wed evening, outside that i wouldnt expect anything.

D. Fair enough.

If any of the above amounts to a suggestion of pro moderation then fine, i dont think it does, id call it fairly basic stuff some of the old mods who have left were very capable of.
daithijjj is offline  
Thanks from:
04-05-2012, 06:23   #334
_blank_
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHB View Post
I think a further subdivision of super threads would be welcome, but I can't for the life of me figure out how.
Subdivide the forum.

The answer is literally staring you all in the face, but for some unfathomable reason the mods just dismiss the idea completely out of hand.

EVERY other busy forum on Boards has subdivided.

Politics, AH, jaysis, even the Food & Drink subject is divided out.

The Soccer Mods are like FIFA and Technology when it comes to this idea really.


Also...no-one to "trust" to mod, that is laughable.

There are 500 mods on this site, you've picked one of them, and made another member a mod for the first time.

The Admins trust the other 490 mods, but you don't?
_blank_ is offline  
04-05-2012, 06:26   #335
_blank_
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by daithijjj View Post
C. Its been repeatedly said that 24/7 coverage is a ludicrous notion, what people imo expect from a mod of Soccer is some coverage Sat/Sun, Mon evening if theres a game on TV and Euro games Tues/Wed evening, outside that i wouldnt expect anything.
I modded the rugby forum, because although I've no interest in the game, I was, at the time, available to mod during a World Cup, and later, at times when games were on, because most of the other mods were at the games.


When I wasn't able to offer that commitment any more, it was one of the factors that made me step aside.
_blank_ is offline  
Advertisement
04-05-2012, 06:33   #336
Frisbee
Moderator
 
Frisbee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Dublin
Posts: 25,610
When you say subdivide the forum do you mean have an EPL sub-forum, LOI sub-forum, BBVA sub-forum etc?

Also we don't dismiss it out of hand. Last time there was discussion on it more people were against it than were for it, it's not just the Mods deciding it's not happening.
Frisbee is offline  
04-05-2012, 07:21   #337
_blank_
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisbee View Post
When you say subdivide the forum do you mean have an EPL sub-forum, LOI sub-forum, BBVA sub-forum etc?
Yes, but I have no idea what BBVA is.

Not an EPL Sub-forum, the Soccer Forum is practically a EPL Forum anyway, with all discussion of any other league nicely wrapped up in a single weekly thread, or a League Superthread.

Do a poll, ask people which EPL team they support and make a forum for the biggest three or four teams.

LoI, La Liga are next - no other league has the following (sorry Seaneh), so we don't need to bother about them. If and when another league garners a lot of following in the future, make a new sub forum, and if needs be, merge any quiet forums back in with the still active Soccer Forum. A review could be had every 24 or 30 Months to see oif any new forums are needed, or any closures needed.

Look, it's cool to have an Admin decide on a whim to subdivide the forum (Go Ahead Eagles anyone? , or the Spurs forum being made because the person who asked was "well in" with the Admins at the time), but not to discuss any other sibdivisions, it's ridiculous.
_blank_ is offline  
04-05-2012, 09:14   #338
JimsAlterEgo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,623
a sub forum for match threads might also work with access restrictions to 50+ posts in main forum first, also ability to ban people from this forum alone.
JimsAlterEgo is offline  
04-05-2012, 12:18   #339
Phoenix
Arisen from the ash
 
Phoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Calgary...
Posts: 8,804
Some follow the Russian league in here too Des
Phoenix is offline  
Advertisement
06-05-2012, 03:39   #340
niallo27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,208
I got a yellow card for saying i dont like chelsea fc, why should we skirt around the issue and fill each other with bull****.
niallo27 is offline  
06-05-2012, 09:12   #341
Red Crow
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by niallo27 View Post
I got a yellow card for saying i dont like chelsea fc, why should we skirt around the issue and fill each other with bull****.
'Skirt' around what issue?
Red Crow is offline  
06-05-2012, 11:09   #342
The_Kew_Tour
Registered User
 
The_Kew_Tour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Be like a Russian Peasant in French Patisserie
Posts: 22,176
The consistency is big problem.

Being called troll and WUM yesterday, and nothing done, and yet when I replied it was me that got warning.
The_Kew_Tour is offline  
06-05-2012, 11:23   #343
G.K.
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 6,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kew_Tour View Post
The consistency is big problem.

Being called troll and WUM yesterday, and nothing done, and yet when I replied it was me that got warning.
It's easier if you report these posts - we can't see everything so unless we stumble upon something while reading the threads, unreported things can go without being dealt with.
G.K. is offline  
06-05-2012, 11:30   #344
G.K.
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 6,634
Niallo, this was your post:

Quote:
Can we all stop pretending we respect Chelsea FC, utd arsenal have deserved respect, Chelsea are a horrible football club, no point in bullshiiting around it.
If that's not intended to cause a reaction from or rile the Chelsea fans, I don't know what is. The rules of the charter you signed up to let me make judgement on your intent, and that's my judgement.

If you aren't happy, then as I said in a PM, take it up with one of the other mods, and progress up the Dispute Resolution system if you so wish.
G.K. is offline  
06-05-2012, 11:35   #345
monkey9
Registered User
 
monkey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The Camac
Posts: 12,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.K. View Post
Niallo, this was your post:



If that's not intended to cause a reaction from or rile the Chelsea fans, I don't know what is. The rules of the charter you signed up to let me make judgement on your intent, and that's my judgement.

If you aren't happy, then as I said in a PM, take it up with one of the other mods, and progress up the Dispute Resolution system if you so wish.
To be honest, if he got a yellow card for that, we might as well all pack up and go home. Surely every post is meant to cause a reaction.
monkey9 is offline  
Thread Closed

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search