Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-04-2012, 15:46   #31
Skylinehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyarsebogman View Post
C++
C. Get the very basics down, derivatives like C++ and Java are actually easier as a result
Advertisement
15-04-2012, 15:48   #32
Dilynnio

CHINESE ....... The Middle Kingdom will have taken over the world by 2020!
15-04-2012, 15:48   #33
holystungun9

English, Spanish, Cork, Geordie.
15-04-2012, 15:51   #34
ciano1

Scouse..

Next year will be our year, I can feel it!
15-04-2012, 15:52   #35
Fluorescence
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinehead View Post
C. Get the very basics down, derivatives like C++ and Java are actually easier as a result
C is horribly outdated. Java is very easy to pick up as a first language anyway.
Advertisement
15-04-2012, 15:55   #36
token101

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgefudge View Post
So I'm thinkin of learning a language, branchin out a little.

I was lookin at them Rosetta Stone things and gonna get one I reckon but they're really expensive. Just wondering what would be the most useful language to know, in your opinion?
If you already know English, I would say Spanish. But in Ireland, I would nearly say Polish. But, as an aside, forget Rosetta Stone!! Rip off!! There's a site called Babbel, you can learn any language you like for 7 quid a month. You get access to the entire website for that, grammar, verbs etc. They have 10-12 languages available. Great site, you can chat to other people who are natives and you help them learn as well. Rosetta Stone is a sham, I, eh, acquired it, through a friend and it wasn't worth half what they look for. You have to pat a fortune anytime you want another language pack.
(2) thanks from:
15-04-2012, 15:57   #37
ejmaztec

Mime
15-04-2012, 16:03   #38
Skylinehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluorescence View Post
C is horribly outdated. Java is very easy to pick up as a first language anyway.
Yeah I learned Java first, was easy enough. C is harder to learn and as a result is the most useful to know (not learn) as you can easily get other languages from what you know of C.

As for outdated, it's still the most used language, and the Linux kernel is written in it, making it extremely useful to know
15-04-2012, 16:12   #39
p

For me, the question is what language is useful to learn that will be useful to you in your life, and with opportunity to practice. e.g. Learning German is semi-useful because it's a business language, but many Germans have a high level of English, so it's practical use is not so great unless you're living in a German speaking country.

Here's a list of total speakers of various languages:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...er_of_speakers

Spanish would get my vote. Useful in Spain, and latin america and will help in Italy, also many people's English is not very good in Spanish-speaking parts of the world. After that, French is useful, also handy for visiting France, and parts of Africa, and some parts of Asia. Also, French is a common second language studied throughout the world so can be a bridge language. Arabic also very useful, but harder due to the script. People often suggest Mandarin, but i'm not sure, due to it's lack of usage outside of China, though that may change in Asia overtime.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
15-04-2012, 16:12   #40
Princess Consuela Bananahammock
of the clan Bananahammock

Princess Consuela Bananahammock's Avatar

Klingon.
15-04-2012, 16:21   #41
krudler

Jawa

"utini!"
15-04-2012, 16:22   #42
Evie90

German or Spanish
15-04-2012, 16:22   #43
batistuta9

Quote:
Originally Posted by westendgirlie View Post
Sign language should be up there as one of the most important languages to learn.
which sign language would you learn though?
15-04-2012, 16:40   #44
Elvis_Presley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robdude View Post

Unless you intend on moving to a country where English isn't commonly used or making a career out of teaching/translating/working with another language; there is very little practical advantage to learning a second language. There are many, many other more useful things you could do with your time.
Typical US attitude. Learning a language is one the best things you can ever do with your time. It gives you the ability to see things from another perspective, to communicate properly with people from other cultures and to understand other cultures. It allows you to communicate with so many other people. It expands your mind, the skills acquired from pushing yourself to learn a language are useful in many other areas. And foreign women are hot.
15-04-2012, 16:41   #45
Biggins
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgefudge View Post
...Just wondering what would be the most useful language to know, in your opinion?
Better make it French, German or Chinese.

Learning Chinese and Japanese myself.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion