Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-04-2012, 21:16   #1
smokey32
Closed Account

Free channels on sky

Hi. Recently i had to cancel my sky subscription so have been cut of by sky. A friend told me he thinks it is still possible to watch certain free to air channels like itv etc but they are not sure how. He mentioned something about taking out the sky viewing card and switching the box back on. He said it would still list all my usual channels but i will only be able to watch certain channels. Does anyone know if this is true before i try it because i dont want to mess up the box.
Thanks a million.
Advertisement
12-04-2012, 21:20   #2
brian ireland

If you take out the card and restart it as far as I know you will get the UK epg ITV 1 2 3 4 etc.
12-04-2012, 21:41   #3
PogMoThoin
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian ireland View Post
If you take out the card and restart it as far as I know you will get the UK epg ITV 1 2 3 4 etc.
Not if it's a Sky HD box, AFAIK it doesn't change EPG when you remove the card
(2) thanks from:
12-04-2012, 21:44   #4
zerks

If it's a HD box then it'll be stuck on the Irish EPG which means 99% of the most popular fta channels will need to be manually tuned in and watched via Other Channels.

If it's not a HD box then all the FTA channels will be available by removing the card & plugging the box out then in again.Set the most popular as favourites and use the blue button to scroll through 'em.

Here's a list of the fta channels available http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_at_28%C2%B0E
(2) thanks from:
12-04-2012, 22:04   #5
brian ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by PogMoThoin View Post
Not if it's a Sky HD box, AFAIK it doesn't change EPG when you remove the card
Ok I stand corrected. Must have been a standard box my sister had and it worked on that.
Advertisement
12-04-2012, 23:50   #6
smokey32
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerks View Post
If it's a HD box then it'll be stuck on the Irish EPG which means 99% of the most popular fta channels will need to be manually tuned in and watched via Other Channels.

If it's not a HD box then all the FTA channels will be available by removing the card & plugging the box out then in again.Set the most popular as favourites and use the blue button to scroll through 'em.

Here's a list of the fta channels available http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_at_28%C2%B0E
Hi. Thanks for the help. It is a sky hd box. So are you saying that if i go to add channels and put in the frequency details for free to air channels then i can recieve them????
Thanks.
13-04-2012, 12:42   #7
John mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey32 View Post
Hi. Thanks for the help. It is a sky hd box. So are you saying that if i go to add channels and put in the frequency details for free to air channels then i can recieve them????
Thanks.
Yup.
Thanks from:
13-04-2012, 19:12   #8
zerks

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey32 View Post
Thanks.
Better option is to get a ftv card from adverts,there's a guy from Wicklow doing them for €15.
No messing about having to go to Other Channels to watch your favourite stuff.
The card will make the box revert to the UK EPG.
17-04-2012, 08:05   #9
bodonnell

E-mail setanta & request a ftv card quoting BAI Sound & vision scheme, tell them you already have a receiver and dish etc, they will order a card from sky for you & you should have it in 5 days or less. No cost for this.
Advertisement
17-04-2012, 10:13   #10
zerks

Disney HD is fta atm on 10921 H 22.0 5/6

Looks like tests for HD. It's a bit hit & miss for when its on so people might get lucky.
17-04-2012, 11:25   #11
MarkK

Send a message via Yahoo to MarkK
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodonnell View Post
E-mail setanta & request a ftv card quoting BAI Sound & vision scheme, tell them you already have a receiver and dish etc, they will order a card from sky for you & you should have it in 5 days or less. No cost for this.
What benefits or channels will that give him that he doesn't get with his old subscription card?
17-04-2012, 11:51   #12
zerks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkK View Post
What benefits or channels will that give him that he doesn't get with his old subscription card?
It's a ftv card,it unlocks the UK EPG on HD boxes,plus he'll get a couple more channels previously unavailable such as Viva,LFCTV & Pick IIRC.
17-04-2012, 13:15   #13
gtg60

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerks View Post
It's a ftv card,it unlocks the UK EPG on HD boxes,plus he'll get a couple more channels previously unavailable such as Viva,LFCTV & Pick IIRC.
Do the FTV cards supplied via Setanta give you the UK channels on the EPG? I thought they pointed towards the scrambled ones? I have some ex Irish sub cards and that is what they seem to do.
17-04-2012, 14:47   #14
bodonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtg60 View Post
Do the FTV cards supplied via Setanta give you the UK channels on the EPG? I thought they pointed towards the scrambled ones? I have some ex Irish sub cards and that is what they seem to do.
Yes they do, have done the 'card trick' successfully with it. However, if you call setanta to activate it as instructed it then becomes enabled with the irish epg so best not to call!!
(2) thanks from:
17-04-2012, 15:22   #15
gtg60

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodonnell View Post
Yes they do, have done the 'card trick' successfully with it. However, if you call setanta to activate it as instructed it then becomes enabled with the irish epg so best not to call!!
Ah, that's interesting!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion