Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

19-04-2012, 20:19   #151
Cadroc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishooks12 View Post
Nope on erasmus in Spain at the moment so would have been tough to get there

But like I said, the decisions have been made. Why wasn't this forum organised in November when the possibility of charges was raised to Derek Daly?
As far as I know, I'm sure someone else will know further, but the Union has been told that there is a possibility that charges will be introduced for the past number of years and reasonably expected them not to be introduced. The Union was aware that some fees might be introduced but weren't made aware of what they may be, and some University staff ignored emails and requests from the students for a long period of time. The decision was also made by the Exec Committee of the university, the only committee where a Student Representative isn't sitting on the board.

The reason we found out in An Focal and not before it was issued is apparently due to a request by the University to allow them to tell staff about this.. According to TST, this didn't happen.
Advertisement
19-04-2012, 20:24   #152
Fishooks12
Closed Account

[QUOTE=Cadroc;78225354]
Quote:
As far as I know, I'm sure someone else will know further, but the Union has been told that there is a possibility that charges will be introduced for the past number of years and reasonably expected them not to be introduced. The Union was aware that some fees might be introduced but weren't made aware of what they may be, and some University staff ignored emails and requests from the students for a long period of time. The decision was also made by the Exec Committee of the university, the only committee where a Student Representative isn't sitting on the board.
with all due respect, while a lot of this is valid. It still doesn't excuse the fact that Daly was expressly told in November about the possibilities of charges next year. That was the time for action, he should have gauged the student bodies opinion on the matter instead of keeping it in the dark

Quote:
The reason we found out in An Focal and not before it was issued is apparently due to a request by the University to allow them to tell staff about this.. According to TST, this didn't happen.
So the SU waited on telling students that they would be denied free health care next year to suit the University?

I'm sorry now but that just takes the biscuit. Last time I checked the students union was supposed to represent students, not University staff

They should have been told to shove their notice tbh

Last edited by Fishooks12; 19-04-2012 at 20:26.
19-04-2012, 20:29   #153
Cadroc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishooks12 View Post
with all due respect, while a lot of this is valid. It still doesn't excuse the fact that Daly was expressly told in November about the possibilities of charges next year. That was the time for action, he should have gauged the student bodies opinion on the matter instead of keeping it in the dark

So the SU waited on telling students that they would be denied free health care next year to suit the University?

I'm sorry now but that just takes the biscuit. Last time I checked the students union was supposed to cater for the needs of students, not University staff

They should have been told to shove their notice tbh

In November there was no solid foundations for this, there was an idea... an old idea at that! Charges will be coming in, there's nothing we can do about it really. The level of charges that will be coming in though is a different matter.

All the Sabbats were present for at least some of the time except our Communications officer. So questions couldn't be put to her as to why she didn't immediately tell the student body.
19-04-2012, 21:25   #154
ryanf1

My understanding was that the su only became aware of these plans in
March but at that time no levels of charges had been set. The first they knew of that was what we all saw in An focal
19-04-2012, 21:28   #155
Fishooks12
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanf1 View Post
My understanding was that the su only became aware of these plans in
March but at that time no levels of charges had been set. The first they knew of that was what we all saw in An focal
The student union run newspaper produced by a sabbat who shares a building with the SU president?
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
19-04-2012, 22:12   #156
Nockz

€10 for contraceptive advice, €10 for a nurse and €45 for physio were the figures I remember being broadcasted outside the SU today.
19-04-2012, 22:36   #157
Cadroc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nockz View Post
€10 for contraceptive advice, €10 for a nurse and €45 for physio were the figures I remember being broadcasted outside the SU today.
10 for nurse, contraception advice and sti clinic. 25 for doctor, 40 for physio and i think 25 for Psychiatrist.

If the rest of the Sabbats knew nothing about it from the CO, how are we surprised that people are complaining of a lack of information and transparency in the Union. She really needs to come out and explain herself since she wasn't there to do so earlier, unlike every other Sabbat. Even students, who are preparing for exams in 2 weeks turned up.
19-04-2012, 23:37   #158
Popoutman
Guru

I've heard that the CO knew about the charges at least a fortnight before the publication of An Focail. That's a long time to sit on a story - and it backfired on her I think - instead of "what a scoop" it was "what the hell was she thinking"..
19-04-2012, 23:39   #159
roro1neil0

I heard the education officer knew about this for months.
Advertisement
20-04-2012, 03:57   #160
lula12

Quote:
Originally Posted by roro1neil0 View Post
I heard the education officer knew about this for months.
Why on earth would the Education officer know about the Medical center when that falls under welfare..........
20-04-2012, 11:07   #161
ryanf1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popoutman View Post
I've heard that the CO knew about the charges at least a fortnight before the publication of An Focail. That's a long time to sit on a story - and it backfired on her I think - instead of "what a scoop" it was "what the hell was she thinking"..
It did not look good that Kelly was not present at yesterdays meeting but thats a diffrent story.
Like I said before, sabbats knew for a while there was a possibility of charges being introduced but not how much the charges would be.
21-04-2012, 15:36   #162
supackofidiots
Banned

there was 8 people at the medical forum

what a joke and a complete waste of time
21-04-2012, 15:47   #163
Fishooks12
Closed Account

http://www.thomondstudenttimes.com/i...on/187-toolate

My own piece on the situation as I see it

Meant to put it up earlier
21-04-2012, 16:40   #164
Nockz

Quote:
Originally Posted by supackofidiots View Post

Were you one of them?
23-04-2012, 02:16   #165
Cydoniac

Send a message via Skype™ to Cydoniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by supackofidiots View Post

Thursday afternoon isn't an accessible time for a lot of people unfortunately.
Thread Closed