Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SNES RGB Cable with 60hz mod?

Options
  • 01-04-2012 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi,

I recently bought a second hand snes and I'm planning to get the 60hz mod done to it.

I'm wondering though, I know there are two types of RGB cables for the SNES, the pal one with no capacitors then the other with capacitors that works on the NTSC snes/n64/gamecube etc.

I'm just wondering, which type of cable I should get if I'm doing the 60hz mod?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Hi,

I recently bought a second hand snes and I'm planning to get the 60hz mod done to it.

I'm wondering though, I know there are two types of RGB cables for the SNES, the pal one with no capacitors then the other with capacitors that works on the NTSC snes/n64/gamecube etc.

I'm just wondering, which type of cable I should get if I'm doing the 60hz mod?

PAL type :) Only get an NTSC one if its an NTSC console.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Dongasaurus

EnterNow wrote: »
    PAL type :) Only get an NTSC one if its an NTSC console.

Thanks for the quick response, buying one now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

My PAL one works on my NTSC snes :S

My PAL one works on my NTSC snes :S

They definitely have differences

snespal.png

snesntsc.png

http://members.optusnet.com.au/eviltim/gamescart/gamescart.htm#snes

Oh yeah I dont doubt that but I'm figuring that whoever sent me mine made a balls of it and sent me the wrong one

• Advertisement

Yep, my ones works with my NTSC SNES and my PAL GC so my cable marked "PAL SNES" is the wrong one

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

The funny thing is, for me, the RGB cables for n64, gamecube, PAL SNES (the one with the resistors) and NTSC SNES (one with the caps) all work fine on my PAL snes. Allegedly you will experience a "fade to black dark screen" if you use the wrong cable. Maybe it's based on the TV you are using.

Maybe it's based on the TV you are using.

I actually agree there, there's so many differing results it has to be differences on the tv end.

Yep I'd say so, Sony 32" bravia.

The funny thing is, for me, the RGB cables for n64, gamecube, PAL SNES (the one with the resistors) and NTSC SNES (one with the caps) all work fine on my PAL snes. Allegedly you will experience a "fade to black dark screen" if you use the wrong cable. Maybe it's based on the TV you are using.

I noticed this too. My cable with caps worked fine on the PAL SNES, it was just very bright.

• Advertisement

UPDATE!!

So the cable arrived but there's a weird checkerboard pattern over the picture and it's really...ugly. Anyone have an idea what's going on?

UPDATE!!

So the cable arrived but there's a weird checkerboard pattern over the picture and it's really...ugly. Anyone have an idea what's going on?

Same problem as I had. Bad quality cable. I ended up buying an official Nintendo cable to sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

UPDATE!!

RGB cables use the composite video for the "sync" signal. Sadly this method of getting the sync gives interference "checkerboard" pattern on some modern TV's (Samsung brand TV's are famous for this crap - what TV are you using?).

The solution is to get a different TV... or use a different signal for the sync..

You can a DIY job on the cable and swap composite video wire coming from pin 9 of the SNES multiout (which is used for the RGB sync signal) and wire in the S-video luma line for sync instead (Pin 7 in the multiout). This obviously kills composite video but you wont care as you are using RGB.

It's does look great once finished but I only did it for my N64 before giving up and getting the SLG3000 kit myself. Far less hassle plus you get the scanline effect.

And thats a xbox 360 composite box, suprised he didnt say HD

RGB cables use the composite video for the "sync" signal. Sadly this method of getting the sync gives interference "checkerboard" pattern on some modern TV's (Samsung brand TV's are famous for this crap - what TV are you using?).

The solution is to get a different TV... or use a different signal for the sync..

You can a DIY job on the cable and swap composite video wire coming from pin 9 of the SNES multiout (which is used for the RGB sync signal) and wire in the S-video luma line for sync instead (Pin 7 in the multiout). This obviously kills composite video but you wont care as you are using RGB.

It's does look great once finished but I only did it for my N64 before giving up and getting the SLG3000 kit myself. Far less hassle plus you get the scanline effect.

Thanks for the response, this seems like the exact issue. I'm on a samsung LCD tv as well even. I'll try it anyway, thanks!

Advertisement