Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Do you need license to keep a capuchin monkey as a pet? Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Not sure about legal requirements but I would imagine you need a licence at the very least.

Leaving monkeys alone, to live in their natural habitat is a much better idea. You could never recreate the wild so dont try.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Why would you want one they are wild creatures even if bred in captivity, they also are social and need to be in social groups with their own kind, it's cruel to keep them alone and as they mature they can become aggressive. Better off donating to a ape or monkey rescue like the one in Wicklow or Monkey world etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

hey also are social and need to be in social groups with their own kind, it's cruel to keep them alone and as they mature they can become aggressive.

Whilst this is certainly true of most monkeys, Capuchin monkeys are actually very adaptable, and are quite happy to live with humans - so much so that they are the breed used by the 'helping hands' organization, who trains them to assist people with spinal injuries. They are incredibly smart, and respond incredibly well to positive reinforcement training.

That said, those capuchins are specially bred and trained for that purpose under excellent conditions, and are not taken from the wild, or imported under dodgy circumstances. I would be concerned that any found in Ireland would not have such a rosy background, and would not be as socialized to a home environment. In other words, they would be a hell of a lot of work.

Legally speaking, I don't think you need a license, but as they almost certainly would need to be imported (at least originally), then there would be a whole host of paperwork that would need to come with them (and be paid for). Your best bet would probably be to check with your vet - if they do not know, then they should be able to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

They are happy to live with humans...up to a point..until they mature..and become a problem. People also don't house or feed them correctly then they end up with health issues. I don't think it's right using them as assistant animals either they are wild animals wether they are born in the wild or are captive bred. They need to be housed with their own kind full stop, a human is not an appropriate substitute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying they make a good pet - as you say, most people wouldn't have a clue how to look after them, and I can't help but imagine that they would be far happier in their natural environment.

All I am saying is that of all the breeds, they are the ones most likely to adapt to life as a companion to humans without the behavioral problems inherent to other breeds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

Music4Life085 if you want to get a pet why don't you get a dog or a cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Demonique

Last I heard you don't even need to have a licence to keep a tiger as a pet (provided its in escape-proof surroundings)

That being said it could have changed in the intervening years

It if hasn't all I can say is 'Ireland where you can keep a tiger without a licence but you need one for a dog'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Hi there,Would you know the legal requirements to own a capuchin monkey?

Just a reminder guys -- this is the question being asked - not 'is it right to own a monkey'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

The only animal you need a licence for in Ireland, is a dog... no other animal is considered as domestic, even a cat. There are no laws on what animals you can own either, but if you aren't treating it properly and are reported, then it can be taken from you.

Ifyou want one however, you should make sure you are prepared for it's demands - they are incontinent and will need nappies (always) or you'll have mess everywhere, food will be an important one obviously, and attention etc. It is like having a baby, for the entirety of it's life.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

An old moderator from here used to keep these.Should be an old thread around somewhere.

• Advertisement

Hellrazer wrote: »
    An old moderator from here used to keep these.Should be an old thread around somewhere.

Found this one, might not be the 'one'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

They are happy to live with humans...up to a point..until they mature..and become a problem. People also don't house or feed them correctly then they end up with health issues. I don't think it's right using them as assistant animals either they are wild animals wether they are born in the wild or are captive bred. They need to be housed with their own kind full stop, a human is not an appropriate substitute.
    I'm sorry but that's just a load of bull
    Have u ever had an exotic pet at all I have an found them to be very happy with humans often lookin for comfort from humans
    These animals are domesticated and would not survive in the wild therefore need us people to live and we all know it yeah there maybe certain animals that just can't be domesticated and shouldn't even try
    But bottom line is this woman wants one and there are loads for sale in Ireland are easily gotten and are often treated as children and well looked after in wild these monkeys don't live that long but in captivity they do
    So again woman was askin if she needs a licence for one she is not looking for your judgement just a straight answer if u need to rant on bout it then start up a thread on it but other than that she just wanted an answer not a PETA rant

The only animal you need a licence for in Ireland, is a dog... no other animal is considered as domestic, even a cat. There are no laws on what animals you can own either, but if you aren't treating it properly and are reported, then it can be taken from you.

Ifyou want one however, you should make sure you are prepared for it's demands - they are incontinent and will need nappies (always) or you'll have mess everywhere, food will be an important one obviously, and attention etc. It is like having a baby, for the entirety of it's life.
    That is also wrong I have licence to own my Harris hawk u also need a licence for several types of canines those considered dangerous and some large felines species of reptiles aswell

So again woman was askin if she needs a licence for one she is not looking for your judgement just a straight answer if u need to rant on bout it then start up a thread on it but other than that she just wanted an answer not a PETA rant

I'd already made an on thread warning about people replying to the question only, there's no need to continue it. If you've an issue with a post, report it.
    Do not reply to this post.

Traonach wrote: »
    Music4Life085 if you want to get a pet why don't you get a dog or a cat.
    She doesn't want a dog or cat wants a monkey nothing wrong with that
    Some people like myself want something different than dog or car end up like everyone else nice to be different Don't u agree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ranchero

<modsnip> I suggest you familiarise yourself with Boards first before random posts that aren't helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

Some people like myself want something different than dog or car end up like everyone else nice to be different Don't u agree?
    It's a wild animal not a domesticated animal. Wild animals should not kept as pets, they deserve to be free. They shouldn't be kept as a ego boost for some person. Look at me I've a wild animal as a pet. The main aim of most pet owners is that their pets have a happy contended life, that ain't going to happen with a wild animal in it's unnatural enviroment.

Traonach wrote: »
    It's a wild animal not a domesticated animal. Wild animals should not kept as pets, they deserve to be free. They shouldn't be kept as a ego boost for some person. Look at me I've a wild animal as a pet. The main aim of most pet owners is that their pets have a happy contended life, that ain't going to happen with a wild animal in it's unnatural enviroment.
    How is it not domesticated? These animals are Tamed and are around humans born from a tamed mother
    Do you know what domesticated means to tame an animal to keep as pet therefore it's domesticated
    There's nothing wrong with taming a wild animal to keep as pets
    As all animals were at one stage just because these new animals are being domesticated doesn't make it wrong
    So this woman is well entitled to get one as are anyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

How is it not domesticated? These animals are Tamed and are around humans born from a tamed mother
    Do you know what domesticated means to tame an animal to keep as pet therefore it's domesticated

Domestication and taming are totally different. Selective breeding of tamed animals eventually leads to the animal being domesticated.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/print/2011/03/taming-wild-animals/ratliff-text
    In fact, scientists have even struggled to define domestication precisely. We all know that individual animals can be trained to exist in close contact with humans. A tiger cub fed by hand, imprinting on its captors, may grow up to treat them like family. But that tiger's offspring, at birth, will be just as wild as its ancestors. Domestication, by contrast, is not a quality trained into an individual, but one bred into an entire population through generations of living in proximity to humans. Many if not most of the species' wild instincts have long since been lost. Domestication, in other words, is mostly in the genes.

I don't know whether the monkeys in question are tame or domestic but I just wanted to point out that they are different. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

If anyone wants to continue the moral debate on keeping primates as pets, start a new thread for it.

Locking.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement